Cocker Specific Discussion > General Cocker Spaniel Discussion

Bailey The Rescued Cocker

(1/16) > >>

theshrew:
I thought I’d post about Bailey and keep updating throughout our journey. Perhaps this might give people some insight of what to expect / others might be able to give us some tips along the way.

We’ve been looking for a new dog since around Feb this year. That sounds like a simple task but trust me it wasn’t.

We’ve always had puppies before but with the ridiculous prices people are charging at the moment we thought we would go down the rescue route. It was just a case of waiting for the right dog for us to be looking for a home.

After applications sent for loads of dogs and a lot of disappointment we finally managed to secure Bailey 😍

He’s a 5 year old Ex Breeding dog. Never lived in a house, been on the lead or been around humans before or the ones he has haven’t treated him well, he’s a very scared boy.

So after a long drive we collected him on Sunday. I was surprised he got straight off of the crate and went into the garden. Here he is when we got home.

He wouldn’t settle the first night and he didn’t like the TV being on, he wouldn’t come into the living room. Loads of changes for him over the last few days. He’s had his plumbs chopped off, a long car ride and a new house so it’s a lot for him to take in.

Day 2

I didn’t really want to take him on a walk just yet with him having lots to deal with already over the last few days and hadn’t had a lead on before. However he hadn’t had a poo 💩 so thought I’d have to. We drove him to a quiet field, sure enough it worked. It was a bit more like doing the tango than a walk but he seemed to get the hang of it to a fashion after some persuading. We even managed to walk home along the road.

Another walk last night along the road he did really well all things considered. The traffic didn’t bother him so that’s great progress.

He won’t come to us yet but at least he feels comfortable enough to fall asleep near us and near the TV now. It’s going to be a long road to get over his fear of humans, I can see he wants to do things just not sure about it. I think he’s got the makings of a great dog.

Jaysmumagain:
Ah bless and welcome to Bailey.....it is lovely to see the last pic of to sleepy cockers - am sure there will be ups and downs but am sure he will soon take baby steps.  He looks a sweetie :luv:

I also thinks it's good to take a rescue, we too had always had puppies and with Ollie came our first rescue and yes there has been challenges over the years - but he is worth his weight in gold.

Take each day at a time and good luck with your new additions and will wait to read the updates :D

Mudmagnets:
Welcome to Bailey, yes he has had a lot of changes, but I am sure with time and your skills he will settle into his new loving home.  :luv: :luv:

lovely photos btw  :D

bizzylizzy:
 :luv: ahhhh , he looks just like Humphrey, the way he‘s lying there!!
As you say, baby steps and a lot of very big changes for him, it must be so confusing but with a companion by his side to show him the ropes, I‘m sure he‘ll blossom before long. Looking forward to the updates!,

ejp:
Hey Bailey  :luv: welcome to the team!  What a lovely looking boy. I think he has done really well in such a short time.  So many new things to discover and learn.  When we had Lara we found that just giving her space to find her feet and understand that she could do her own thing was the best way.  She learnt more from the two boys than from us.  Lovely to see him settling so well.  Delighted for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version