Author Topic: Nightmare grooming front paws  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Dragon trainer

Nightmare grooming front paws
« on: October 27, 2018, 04:00:26 PM »
My 4 year old male show type cocker has become increasingly sensitive about his front paws. He has always been a wriggler when being groomed and so I have a Kong attached to the frame on the grooming table stuffed with treats to keep him occupied. The problem is his front paws need trimming and his dew claws need cutting! At the moment he won?t let me near them, he will keep lifting them up. Any suggestions/ advice would be greatly received.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Nightmare grooming front paws
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 04:53:59 PM »
I watched a grooming video and they suggested lifting the paw that you?re not grooming so that the dog has to keep the other paw, which you are grooming, on the table! You?d almost certainly need second person and I haven?t actually tried it out myself but its possibly  worth a try!  :shades:

Offline Dragon trainer

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 08:16:05 AM »
Thank you bizzylizzy. I would certainly need a second pair of hands for that! It?s quite frustrating as he will give me paw if I ask him and I can wipe them after a walk while he eats a treat! I only need a few minutes to trim them.

Offline Barry H

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 09:58:18 AM »
Jack (also show type) doesn't like me messing with his front paws either.  Agree that trying to do them on the grooming table is a waste of time.  Back feet he's more tolerant.

Early on, I taught him the 'play dead' trick.  For feet and dewclaw trimming I sit on the floor (not the kitchen floor!) with outspread legs and get Jack to play dead between them, either head nearest me or tail nearest.  After a minute or so of tummy rubbing, he's quite relaxed.  With his head on my lap he's then in the perfect position to tackle front feet (a bit at a time while feeding treats - peel me a grape!) and any mats under his pits and round his family jewels (after turning him round).

It's not the perfect angle for doing dewclaws, but near enough and with the least stress for both of us.  I do them once a month but only one at a time.  No chance doing two in the same session.

Offline Dragon trainer

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 07:38:12 AM »
Your method sounds great and a lot easier. There are a few things I wish I had taught him when he was young! I think I am going to have to start at the beginning and work on him allowing me to touch his paws.