Author Topic: Poorly pup  (Read 13915 times)

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
Re: Poorly pup
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 03:42:11 PM »
You could try a chicken or beef stock cube dissolved in water and allowed to cool, the flavour may make it more palatable and at least he's be getting some fluids.
A worrying time but hopefully he'll be feeling better soon. :luv:

Offline Cassie01

• Theis 08.04.2012-11.12.2012
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 03:53:54 PM »
Pup was sick again – awaiting call back from the vet  :huh:

Sophie – my vet issued two packs of the Royal Canin Sensitvity pack – Theis just won't entertain it. I wish I registered with Goddard's, too – they're so highly regarded locally - and yes, I should have said to you be mindful of the local area, it would be the last thing you & Henry need right now. I'm with Molly & Max (closest to home), one of the vets there has a dog; she uses South Park regularly and I see her quite often over there -  it was her I spoke to on the phone this morning re the local gastric bug.

JennyBee – please don't worry. I have a seriously fine tuned lifetime's training in night time catastrophizing. Come dusk a pimple becomes a tumor  :embarassed: If only it was a valuable commodity, I'd be a millionaire  :lol: Even if you hadn't have mentioned pancreatitis I would have found a suitable drastic alternative and applied the same worry mechanism to it.

AB & Ninasmum -  thanks for the good wishes  :blink: but it is so  difficult not to worry and as ninasmum says, because they can't tell you anything you feel a bit helpless. I guess it's the powerlessness of it that is really so uncomfortable.

Also – whether it is significant or not, Theis' breath is really smelly (as was his most recent vomit) and badly – there's a putrid sort of waft coming up from where he's sleeping at my feet.

:'(

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 04:39:46 PM »
Oh i am so sorry to read your latest update Cassie  :'(
From reading your posts it does sound that Theis needs further veterinary treatment  :-\
I hope you can get some treatment for him very, very soon  :shades:
In the meantime, sendings lots of caring, positive thoughts  :luv: :luv:
& thinking of you both  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Cassie01

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 05:06:03 PM »
Vet called back - advised monitoring intake every 4 hours as this is the time it take food to digest. If he can keep it down give just a teaspoonful of the recovery food, if not just withhold and use re-hydration fluids until morning.

Am booked in for 09:00 tomorrow but in the event of further deterioration I'm to call the emergency vets. Cor dear, what a worry! She also said pongy breath is to be expected and although symptomatic of malabsorption, it is to be expected given present circumstances. Doesn't change anything but somehow helps when you have a little info.

He's presently asleep on my bed - everything crossed for him to make it through the night with no more hiccups.

You could try a chicken or beef stock cube dissolved in water and allowed to cool, the flavour may make it more palatable and at least he's be getting some fluids.

My dad used to give this to me, made with cabbage water, when I was a kid  :luv: brings me right back. Under usual circumstances I'm sure my pup would love it - I'll bear it in mind and if i see him picking up I may sprinkle a little oxo into some water for him :-)

Oh i am so sorry to read your latest update Cassie  :'(
From reading your posts it does sound that Theis needs further veterinary treatment  :-\
I hope you can get some treatment for him very, very soon  :shades:
In the meantime, sendings lots of caring, positive thoughts  :luv: :luv:
& thinking of you both  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

I'm hoping for this to pass - vet says this can happen with this sort of thing - and to apply the same sort of thinking to when we (as adults) are poorly.

Thanks for good wishes, ninasmum - I sincerely hope to be posting all is well in the morning  :luv:

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 05:59:22 PM »
Oh poor Theis and poor you. It is so difficult not to worry and over-dramatise everything (and as you said, it sounds as if you've got this down to a fine art). Lots of hugs for you both. Sx

Offline Ralu A

• Elmo
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 06:12:57 PM »
I hope he'll be better soon :luv: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Life is just better with two cockers :D
Raluca, Elmo and Scai
IMG_33556 by Ralu A

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 06:16:56 PM »
Poor wee scone...hope he starts to feel better real soon x

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline Cassie01

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 06:35:21 PM »
Oh poor Theis and poor you. It is so difficult not to worry and over-dramatise everything (and as you said, it sounds as if you've got this down to a fine art). Lots of hugs for you both. Sx

Erm, thanks, I think!?

Yes, I do have a tendency to worry more at night time but I don't think this is too uncommon. Just to be clear on circumstances here, pup has been sick for 3 consecutive days and is not eating and not drinking willingly.

I don't think a little concern is misplaced or overly dramatic! But thanks for your concern.

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 06:36:54 PM »
I hope Theis is soon better, it must be very worrying for you.

And yes, worrying at night is common I think, I know I do ;)
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 06:44:44 PM »
I'd be worrying my head off if pup had been ill for a few days - Henry was sick a few times a month or so ago and I jumped to bad conclusions, but it passed after a few days on chicken and rice. I didn't mean you were being over-dramatic; sorry if it came across like that. Just trying to reassure you. xx

Offline PennyB

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 06:51:28 PM »

A better way that has no salt in it is to boil up a couple of chicken wings (I bought a chicken took off the wings and casseroled the rest for me!) then cool the broth, remove the bones and try getting him to drink that - it worked wonders on Stella when she was ill the other week. Mind you when she hadn't been drinking my vet was going to put her on a drip the next day and she hadn't been ill for long (48 hours) and she is a year old.

Hope he's better soon
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Cassie01

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 07:05:20 PM »
I hope Theis is soon better, it must be very worrying for you.

And yes, worrying at night is common I think, I know I do ;)

Thanks for this, good to know I'm not going round the bend :-)

I'd be worrying my head off if pup had been ill for a few days - Henry was sick a few times a month or so ago and I jumped to bad conclusions, but it passed after a few days on chicken and rice. I didn't mean you were being over-dramatic; sorry if it came across like that. Just trying to reassure you. xx

Okay, thanks for clarifying - it just read/reads a bit disparagingly and I'm really not in the mood for 'narky' right now.

A better way that has no salt in it is to boil up a couple of chicken wings (I bought a chicken took off the wings and casseroled the rest for me!) then cool the broth, remove the bones and try getting him to drink that - it worked wonders on Stella when she was ill the other week. Mind you when she hadn't been drinking my vet was going to put her on a drip the next day and she hadn't been ill for long (48 hours) and she is a year old.

Hope he's better soon

That sounds great, Penny - I've popped two frozen wings on to boil as I type.

Fingers crossed he takes some and thank you :-)

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 08:46:30 PM »
How is little man? 

Thinking of you both.

It is a big worry when a pup is sick, and for so long, as they easily dehydrate.

Sending positive, healing thought to you both. Xxxxxx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 09:38:13 PM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you and little Theis  :luv: :luv:
It's just horrible when they are poorly, hope you both manage to get some sleep and tomorrow things are brighter   :-*

Offline Cassie01

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 09:53:22 PM »
Thanks Poppy & Lily for your kind wishes :-)

He's fast asleep now and I think I should follow.

The pluses - he did drink some of the chicken broth (and consumed more of this than anything else in the past few days) thank you Penny for that - and nothing's come back up, yipee!

Thank you, too Ralu & Linzi for goodwill messages - 'poor wee scone', you have to be Scottish, Linzi? :-)

And thanks and apologies to Sophie - who's good intentions were misread by me.

It's been a long day!