Author Topic: 14.97% COI. Is this ok?  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Mircass

14.97% COI. Is this ok?
« on: October 18, 2013, 12:00:23 PM »
I've just run a virtual pedigree inputing our breeder's sire and dam  http://cockerspanieldatabase.info/pedigreevir.php
and my potential pup has a COI of 14.97% over 10 generations.
I've read this topic with interest http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=44026.0 but I haven't found anything on COL that answers the question -  would you be worried about a borderline number of 15% or not?
Most info I've seen views 10-15% as ok but not ideal, 15-20% not great (although obviously not as bad as 25%).
Given our past history of losing a pup with kidney failure, I am doing all I can to ensure a healthy dog.  Both dam and sire are cleared on DNA checks so we're ok on that front but together there does seem to be a higher level of inbreeding - which I gather could lead to other (perhaps only minor) health problems.
The breeder has been personally recommended to me by someone very involved in Cocker Spaniel Society who is reputable and trustworthy. The sire and dam have COI of 6% and 7% but mated together - they are both gold colour, the inbreeding rises. I will have the chance to meet both parent dogs when I visit so will look at temperament etc. 
All in all, I feel comfortable with the breeder and the history of the sire is particularly good, and I'm delighted to have found a choice of gold pups not a million miles away from home.
It is such a minefield - the more I learn, the more questions I have.

Thoroughly enjoying my first cocker dog.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: 14.97% COI. Is this ok?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 12:50:48 PM »
I remember that old thread - several contributors held very strong opinions and also quite a bias against all show breeding, reflected in their views ;) Having said that, times are changing and many sensible breeders are now aiming for much lower COIs than was perhaps the case in previous decades. But even so, nobody can give you a definitive answer to your question I'm afraid. The KC advises breeders to plan matings where the COI is below the breed average which is 9% as calculated using the imperfect KC Mate Select software but that doesn't mean that matings slightly above that average should be avoided as there are many other factors to consider and you can still get health problems in dogs which are the result of outcross matings with very low COIs and conversely, very healthy dogs where the COI is well above the breed average.
Jane