Author Topic: raw diet vegetables  (Read 1535 times)

Offline lilliegez

raw diet vegetables
« on: April 15, 2014, 09:11:27 PM »
hi for those of you who feed raw diet, do you give veg.  my girl was on nutriment but after allergy tests is allergic to carrot which is a shame coz she loves them and the nutriment contains carrot so I have to find another raw food.  I know I can buy just the meat with nothing else added but will this have everything in my dog needs.  I could add my own veg but am not sure how much each day and if I should give it raw or cooked. thanks.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: raw diet vegetables
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 10:53:10 PM »
It's possible to buy raw minces without added veggies. I know that Natural Instinct do a range called "pure" which is just meat and ground bone http://www.naturalinstinct.com/pure-dog-food/ and Nurturing By Nature don't add veggies to any of their minces as far as I know. I'm sure there must be other suppliers too.

Many raw feeders just feed meat, bone and oily fish, sometimes adding a raw egg once or twice a week and feeding green tripe a few times every week. The proportions should be roughly 80% muscle meat, 10% bone and 10% offal (typically liver and kidney), but you don't have to have that balance every meal. As long as you feed a wide a variety of meats and get the balance roughly right over a week they will get all the nutrients they need.

I choose to add blitzed, raw veg. to some of my dogs meals, but not all. If it's blitzed I believe they get nutrition from it and it's also really useful to bulk out meals if you have a dog that's prone to putting weight on and can help if you have a dog that's prone to constipation. I don't add fish oil because they have oily fish every week and I don't add all the other stuff that Nutriment do because I don't think they need it.

When I blitz raw veg. at home I use a mix of things like carrots (I know you can't), broccoli, green beans, peppers, tomatoes, swede, lettuce, and small quantities of fruit such as apple, pear, blueberries etc. No onion or potato. I use a wide variety so that the mix doesn't contain too much of any one thing. I add roughly a couple of dessertspoonful's to the food each meal.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 09:23:13 AM »
Teal has the veg we have as left overs a couple of times a week, not so sure dogs need veg but she really enjoys it some veg is banned though as Teal can make very effective nerve gas from cauliflower and sprouts.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Misty Roan

• Donator
Re: raw diet vegetables. More questions
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 10:34:14 AM »
Hi , don't want to but in I'm just switching Misty back to raw. I tried it initially to hopefully help anal glands which it didn't much.  But she got constipated so I decided to try nature diet, her glands have been worse, poos not great and now she has thrown the whole lot up on a couple a times.  I don't want to keep swapping every few months so back to raw.  At least she has regular poo bad isn't sick.
I'll stop rambling, my question is how fine do you blitz veg is one of those mini choppers enough? 
Misty 3.6.2011 - 1.11.2016

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: raw diet vegetables. More questions
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 12:56:40 PM »
Hi , don't want to but in I'm just switching Misty back to raw. I tried it initially to hopefully help anal glands which it didn't much.  But she got constipated so I decided to try nature diet, her glands have been worse, poos not great and now she has thrown the whole lot up on a couple a times.  I don't want to keep swapping every few months so back to raw.  At least she has regular poo bad isn't sick.
I'll stop rambling, my question is how fine do you blitz veg is one of those mini choppers enough?

I've got a fairly inexpensive Kenwood food processor (not one of those all singing all dancing jobs you see on TV programmes :005:)  and blitz until it's quite mushy and everything is blended. I wonder if a mini chopper would be strong enough to cope with hard vegetables like carrots and swede? But if you're only doing small amounts it may not be a problem.

William gets constipated quite easily so I feed him less bone than I do Louis. If that's been a problem with Misty can you feed some bone free meals and just play around with the bone quantities until you get it right for her?

Raw didn't solve William's anal gland problems completely, but that's because his anal glands are in the wrong place  :o and can't be emptied naturally regardless of diet. They have improved slightly though, which I think is due to him having a better diet so the glands are less likely to fill, or at least may fill more slowly. Not a scientifically proved theory, just my observation.

Offline Misty Roan

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 04:29:42 PM »
Thanks Elaine.  I'm no longer expecting Misty's gland problem to go away but as you say with William they were better than they are now and I had no issues with her being sick when she was on raw. I'll give her some non-bone meat too this time and try extra veg.  I'm wondering if the kibbles etc are just to rich in additives so I'm not going to use them any more. :blink:
Misty 3.6.2011 - 1.11.2016