Author Topic: Pedigree Registration -advice Needed Please  (Read 2944 times)

Offline Looking for Speedy

• Site Member
Pedigree Registration -advice Needed Please
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 02:22:38 AM »
As a future cocker owner of an unborn pup. Here is what I would expect of the breeder. I would expect the dogs to be AKC registered, and have all health clearances, eyes, hips and ears  I would expect the line of dogs being bred from to have solid temperments, I would expect that the breeder would be able to place a pup in our hands in good faith knowing that they have done everything on their part to ensure a healthy, stable pup. Also if for some reason we did have some unforseen problems that the breeder would help us through them. In return we would promise to train to the pup, make it part of the family, keep up with immunizations, give him excercise and keep him at an appropriate weight,keep his coat and ears clean and get him groomed on a regular basis. We would also keep in contact with the breeder and let them know how their pup is doing throughout his life.

That said there may be unregistered cockers that are great pets and dogs. But I think if someone offered me one tommorow as much as I want one I would say no and wait for one that is registered and I knew the background of the parents, grandparents, etc.....

Offline paulb

• Site Member
    • http://barney.moonfruit.com
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2005, 09:56:28 AM »
Hi,
we  have only one CS a beautiful 16 week choc roan boy (Barney) and breeding has never crossed our minds,

having said that,

i have been reading this thread with interest, not the content (as i have no experience or skill in this matter) but how advice is given.

a new member asked for advice and advice they got in abundence. I am very conscious that it is an emotive issue and  (in a naive way) I agree with the arguements

but

it has just felt assumptions have been made about the dirty issue of financial gains, it seems many members have assumed this view.

I feel someone has asked for advice and they have got it, which is great but I am not sure whether statements such as "there is no other reason except for money" are that helpful.

The driver could be to have lots of puppies in the house, which i know isnt enough of a reason but what i am trying to do is illustrate that there are lots of facts missing and some members are perhaps asuming the worst and the intonation of their messages feel harsh,

I am conscious that this will not be a popular message, I am not meaning to cause offence, i am not the expert with CS's (which is why i spend many hours learning such helpful advice) .

regards

Paul

paul
Barneys Website

With Best Wishes, Paulb, Evonne ,Ollie, Alice and of course the great Barney

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2005, 10:12:13 AM »
Not sure why this thread has been resurrected again as it's well over a month old? I don't think it really needs adding to - the OP asked a question & received the information she wanted about the registration issue. Some strong opinions were expressed (as to be expected on a forum which promotes responsible breeding only) but generally it was a good thread with plenty of food for thought & useful info.

Jane
Jane