Author Topic: Stud  (Read 1312 times)

Acorah

Stud
« on: July 05, 2005, 08:34:13 PM »
How old does a dog need to be to be used for stud? And also, how do I get him on the stud register if there is such a thing?

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Stud
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 09:18:40 PM »
Not to be funny, but why would you want to?

A reputable breeder will only want a stud thats proven itself to meet the breed standard, which means wins in the show ring, good breeding and temperment itself and health scored.

If my experience of having entire males is anything to go by, letting a pet be used for stud is asking for a whole host of problems. Once they get the idea so to speak they can be complete horrors chasing the scent of every bitch in town who comes into season.

Im sure Jane and a few others will be along soon with more advice. I would just advise that you keep him as the pet you have always wanted
Caroline and Alfie

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Stud
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 10:13:40 PM »
Have a look at our FAQ on the subject

Pet dog for stud FAQ

At 10 weeks old, he is too young for you to assess whether he will be breeding quality.  If you still want to go ahead when he is older, you should go back to his breeder and let him/her give you their honest opinion on him.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Acorah

Stud
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 12:28:48 PM »
I was just asking out of curiostiy. I would like to breed him at some point if hes good enough, but with oung children Ive got enough on my plate for a few years yet. I am new to all this so please bare that in mind!