Author Topic: Over attachment  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Woolwitch

Over attachment
« on: June 06, 2021, 11:16:18 PM »
Our working cocker is 4, and I was his main 'carer' when he was little, although over the last year, all of the family has been around. He is super attached to me and whilst we know this is pretty standard cocker behaviour, it seems really extreme in Tali's case - he is so ridiculously keen to know where I am and what I am doing and always seems to be waiting for my next move...it's quite exhausting  :lol2: He's definitely better when I give him less attention so this is what I try to do - I only interact with him when he has calmed down.

So we were quite resigned to just having a dog who is pretty hyper, especially around me, but then this weekend I went away and Tali was at home with my husband. My husband reports that while I was away, Tali was a different dog - calm, padding around quietly, bit of barking but generally an absolute pleasure. The problem is when I am around obviously, and he wants my attention. How do we tackle this? Is it possible to somehow train his emotions around me? Just to reiterate, he is not just enthusiastic when I am around, he is out of control. Any advice or thoughts about what is going on would be very welcome!

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: Over attachment
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 11:11:29 PM »
Sounds to me that you need to delegate dog feeding , treats and walks!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline rubyduby

Re: Over attachment
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 03:55:45 PM »
Just read this and have to say my girl is exactly the same  whingeing and whining for my attention an following/watching me everywhere, sadly I cant delegate as my husband isnt interested in doing anything with the dogs, gets claustrophobic at times and beginning to feel very restricted.......!!!