Author Topic: Grapes and other poisons  (Read 4536 times)

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
Grapes and other poisons
« on: September 03, 2021, 02:54:25 PM »
Hope this is the place for this

Salty scoffs everything from the floor
We live in a house with a large semi-wild garden in Portugal
There are grape vines
We never feed him grapes and try to clean them up since I know that they are not good for them, but grapes do fall to the floor and he is a hoover

'The internet' seems to say one grape will cause instant death (quite literally in many cases) but salty is alive and kicking and in very good health
As ever the internet is full of recycled blogs and things using copy paste and sensationalising to get clicks

However, the ASPCA says, Grapes and Raisins: Although the toxic substance within grapes and raisins is unknown, these fruits can cause kidney failure. Until more information is known about the toxic substance, it is best to avoid feeding grapes and raisins to dogs.'
https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/people-foods-avoid-feeding-your-pets

I do know that in Portugal there are a LOT of dogs (more per head than in UK IIRC) and a lot of gardens with grapes growing in them ....

Unfortunately, there seemed to be no 'NHS' site for the dog world where I could get sensible info

so, I did some research and found the Veterinary Poisons information service which is great and so I am sharing below (sorry if teaching to suck eggs!)

It seems that some dogs are fine after scoffing loads and others only need one grape to get very serious consequences:

'Not all dogs are affected and the reason for this remains unknown. There is also no apparent dose-response relationship. We have follow up information on over 1000 cases of grape and dried fruit ingestion in dogs but only a small number died or were euthanised.'
https://www.vpisglobal.com/2020/12/02/grapes-and-dried-fruits-christmas-cake-christmas-pudding-and-mince-pies/

'Grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas
These cause kidney failure in dogs, and potentially other animals too. The toxic mechanism is not understood and the quantity that can cause problems seems to be very variable. Some dogs have eaten large amounts and developed no effects, while others have gone into kidney failure after ingesting a small number of raisins or grapes. Even ingestion of cooked fruits in fruit cake (e.g. Christmas cake) or Christmas pudding can cause kidney failure.'
https://www.vpisglobal.com/common-poisons/

Perhaps the mechanism/ toxin is explained here?
https://www.vpisglobal.com/2021/05/05/cause-of-grape-induced-kidney-injury-in-dogs/

Pet poison leaflets:
https://www.vpisglobal.com/flyers-and-leaflets/vpis-poisoning-in-pets-focus-on/

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Grapes and other poisons
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 05:07:17 PM »
Thanks for this! There are so many things that can be potentially lethal for dogs and cats which we were rarely aware of before the internet, I cringe when I thing what I gave my previous dogs,  (including grapes), luckily with no ill effects but its awful to think I could have killed them! I do think dogs very a lot in what they can tolerate, but its always better to be on the safe side and the more informed we are, the easier it is to keep our dogs safe.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 10:05:25 PM »
Thank you for this....it brought back a work friend of years ago, her spaniel(what else would it be) consumed a box of chocolates one night left on the table by her children, she came down next morning to one very sad looking dog, and soon saw the empty box on the floor.  As her two boys had opened the box she was unclear as to just how many he had eaten.

The result was the sad fellow was on a drip at vets for over two days over the Xmas period. Adding a large unexpected cost to Christmas.

You would be amazed at how many in the office had no idea the consequence of chocolate on dogs.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 09:13:21 AM »
Back in the elder days before the net, we didn't know this stuff. One of my scotties loved grapes, my mum would give her a couple when she had some, and there were no ill effects, at least in the short term, who knows about the long term? (She loved blackberries too, it was funny seeing her gingerly rolling back her lips as she negotiated the thorns to get a fruit).
My childhood spaniel sneaked a whole bar of my dad's Cadbury’s fruit and nut and scoffed it behind the sofa in secret, and he had no ill effects and lived til 18!
My current dog Dylan ate a snow drop bulb and we rushed to the vet where he was made to vomit and given charcoal.
You can't be too careful really, and it seems it's the luck of the draw with some substances.
If you cannot get to a vet and the dog has eaten something it shouldn't , a couple,of grains of washing soda will make them vomit. This has worked for me when one swallowed a burst balloon (twice 😬). Vet doesn't approve of it's use, but then they don't approve of old fashioned things that work, cos they can't charge for it 😵‍💫
Cheers
Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 09:33:05 AM »

You can't be too careful really, and it seems it's the luck of the draw with some substances.
If you cannot get to a vet and the dog has eaten something it shouldn't , a couple,of grains of washing soda will make them vomit. This has worked for me when one swallowed a burst balloon (twice 😬). Vet doesn't approve of it's use, but then they don't approve of old fashioned things that work, cos they can't charge for it 😵‍💫
Cheers
Lesley and Dylan

Oh that‘s so true! My old vet had a trainee from Rumania (who has now qualified and taken over the practice and is wonderful!) who suggested giving Humphrey sauerkraut after he‘d swallowed something or other, he was hushed up very quickly by the vet and given a warning look!  :005:.
Hadn‘t heard of washing soda but it sounds like a good tip - how do you give it, dry or dissolved in water?  :luv:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2021, 08:09:50 PM »
Dry - just two or three crystals, you have to get it down their throat, about ten minutes later 🤮.
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 07:13:47 AM »
Ok! Good to know, thanks!   :luv:

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 10:59:29 AM »
One thing I do know is very dangerous is artificial sweetener
My mate back at 'home' in UK has a cocker mix and he snaffled a pack of sugar free chewing gum
He ended up in vets very ill and my mate ended up with a multi £K bill
It was a big surprise to my mate (they have had loads of dogs and know well the spanielness of this one - he completely peeled and de-stuffed a leather chair one day whilst they were all at work and could not get home as they watched him destroy it on the webcam they had installed  :005:) and to me to find out that artificial sweeteners were so dangerous
I heard you have to be careful to look at the ingredients on peanut butter for this reason too

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2021, 07:02:01 PM »
One thing I do know is very dangerous is artificial sweetener
My mate back at 'home' in UK has a cocker mix and he snaffled a pack of sugar free chewing gum
He ended up in vets very ill and my mate ended up with a multi £K bill
It was a big surprise to my mate (they have had loads of dogs and know well the spanielness of this one - he completely peeled and de-stuffed a leather chair one day whilst they were all at work and could not get home as they watched him destroy it on the webcam they had installed  :005:) and to me to find out that artificial sweeteners were so dangerous
I heard you have to be careful to look at the ingredients on peanut butter for this reason too

The artificial sweetener in both chewing gum and some peanut butter (& some other products) is xylotol: this article and warning from Blue Cross animal charity will explain the dangers - hope it helps

00ps silly me https://www.bluecross.org.uk/             :shades:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2021, 10:54:15 PM »
Thanks
Couldnt find the link in your post so I DuckDuckGo'ed it:
https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-advice/xylitol-poisoning-dogs
Great site that!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2021, 11:25:45 AM »
Warning! Something to look out for - maybe

Following on from previous posts:

I saw on a friend's fb page a US post which warns that Xlyitol is being re-branded Birch Sugar and used in some products. Not sure if this only applies to US though!

The FB post originated from North Elm Animal Hospital pllc
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2021, 01:32:35 PM »

I saw on a friend's fb page a US post which warns that Xlyitol is being re-branded Birch Sugar and used in some products. Not sure if this only applies to US though!

Its used particularly often in Christmas stollen, Lebkuchen und such like here, so is likely to be in any of the German Christmas goodies on sale at Aldi, Lidl and at the  German markets and will probably also  be labled Birch Sugar, so please take care, - they issue regular warnings here in the run up to Xmas as several dogs have died as a result.    :016:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2021, 07:02:32 PM »

Its used particularly often in Christmas stollen, Lebkuchen und such like here, so is likely to be in any of the German Christmas goodies on sale at Aldi, Lidl and at the  German markets and will probably also  be labled Birch Sugar, so please take care, - they issue regular warnings here in the run up to Xmas as several dogs have died as a result.    :016:

Have to keep one step ahead of these blighters don't we  >:D

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2021, 12:54:33 PM »
Brilliant thread, thanks for all the info.
What scares me is what other people give dogs innocently. A neighbour’s young daughter was putting chocolate through my fence for Peanut, fortunately I saw her in time.
Good thinking about German supplies, I buy pate from Lidl for the lucky mat, I’ll double check the ingredients.
John.