Author Topic: Bitch in Season  (Read 1247 times)

Offline AndyB

• Donator
Bitch in Season
« on: October 27, 2021, 06:36:31 AM »
Maisie came into season on 10th October for the second time only, although she will be 3 years old on Boxing Day.  I am going on holiday with a friend to North Lancashire on 10th November.  Can anyone who perhaps has experience in breeding cockers reassure me that Maisie will be completely safe by 10th November to be exercised in areas where there are other dogs running free, e.g. beaches.   Maisie will be on a lead at all times because she is deaf and I will be bathing Maisie the weekend before we go away.  Would she still be able to give off a scent to male dogs by this time.  It will be four and half weeks since the first day of her season by the time we go away.  I just need some reassurance that I am not going to have a problem with unwanted attention from male dogs whilst on holiday.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: Bitch in Season
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 09:40:50 AM »
All my five scotties were female, and their season lasted three weeks. I would take them by car to a country place for a walk where there were no other dogs around. A bath after the three weeks, and all was back to normal, and we were never bothered. Have a lovely break with Maisie.

Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 11:29:21 AM »
Hi Andrea,

Generally a bitches season lasts 25 days.  This can vary and we’ve noticed that Kukri’s season is a few days longer.  Interestlingly, she has only had 3 seasons in 30 months so you may find Maisie’s is slightly longer than 25 days too.

There is a pinned post regarding seasons on here  http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=44072.0 with really useful information and I’d recommended obtaining a copy of the book “The Book of the Bitch” J M Evans and Kay White.

Day 10-15 are the days to be very careful about. 

I think Maisie deserves a treat for timing her season beautifully for your holiday!  Enjoy!

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 08:41:39 PM »
Yes she did time it perfectly for the holiday Jayne, but not in respect of my new lounge carpet, fitted on the Friday and Maisie came into season on the Sunday  :016: :016:  Anyway we have managed.  I now have the difficult decision as to whether to have Maisie neutered in the New Year.  Thanks for the info. 

Online Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 10:07:41 AM »
Andrea - sorry I am no help has never had a girlie  :luv:

But as for North Lancs that is one of my favourite places.  Especially north of Lancaster!
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 08:59:53 PM »
I absolutely love the area.  I have another friend who lives in Lancaster.  My husband and I were lucky enough to own a small cottage in the Lune Valley for over 5 years.  It is the most beautiful area which not many people seem to be aware of.  The villages are stunning and the people so friendly.  We were two miles from Kirkby Lonsdale, which is literally yards across the border into Cumbria.  Kirkby is fabulous, lovely shops, bars and restaurants, and right on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales too.  Perfect. 

I have owned both male and female cockers and have always had the girls neutered but Maisie has been so anxious I just did not want to put her through an operation until she had settled with me.  She also has the most beautiful, silky coat of any cocker I have owned so there is some hesitation on my part as neutering will almost certainly spoil her coat.