Author Topic: Poorly boy - update 😀  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Rhodri0311

Poorly boy - update 😀
« on: January 01, 2022, 04:48:57 PM »
Hello, I haven’t posted for ages but I’m hoping someone can offer some advice.

Rhodri is now 6 and today he doesn’t seem himself. He is eating and drinking but earlier his tummy was making a lot of gurgling noises and he just seemed quiet.

We took him to the beach this afternoon and although perhaps not as mad as usual, he was still pretty lively, pottering around, digging in the sand and wanting his ball.

Since we’ve got back, he seems a bit lethargic and looks like he’s a bit uncomfortable when he’s trying to lie down. I fully intend taking him to our vet tomorrow if he’s the same but they’re closed today.

Just after some reassurance please as he’s my baby and I’m worried.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Poorly boy - advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 06:27:01 PM »
Could he be  suffering from possible changes in routine over the festive period, altho we try our best to keep things 'normal' it is not always possible and some dogs I believe  do feel change in their routine more so than others. Branston's tummy can be come upset if he is stressed in any way.

I hope he is feeling his old self again soon.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 07:11:33 PM »
Hi!   :luv:
Poor little Rhodri, (still remember the puppy photo of him in the bath! ). Is he weeing and poohing normally? Might be an idea to take a sample when you do go to the vet, it might help the diagnosis but , as Mudmagnets says, it could simply be a bit of stress.
Can‘t really offer much other advice except light food, warmth and lots of TLC (I‘m sure they‘ll be no shortage of that! ;))
All the best, do let us know how he is tomorrow!
xx Jayne

Offline Rhodri0311

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 07:55:31 PM »
Thank you both, it’s lovely that you remember Rhodri - I really must come back here more often and share his adventures.

He’s still very quiet, but has just eaten a small amount of chicken and rice and is now looking at me as if to say “is that it?”. I’m going to monitor him for a couple of hours and if I’m still concerned I’m going to take him to an out of hours vet practice.

Hopefully, it’s just a little bug - I wish he could tell me how he’s feeling though!

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 09:03:52 PM »
Is he doing the toilet normally?  Good that he has eaten a little.  Small amounts and often just to be on the safe side, and not overloading his tummy.  Hoping he picks up soon, it's worrying for you.

Offline Rhodri0311

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 09:45:21 PM »
Is he doing the toilet normally?  Good that he has eaten a little.  Small amounts and often just to be on the safe side, and not overloading his tummy.  Hoping he picks up soon, it's worrying for you.

He is going to the toilet as normal, sorry to be a bit gross but it was probably a little softer than usual but certainly nowhere near diarrhoea. It’s difficult to tell how he is at the moment as he’s just chilling which is what he does every night!

Hubby is due home from work soon so I’ll see what he’s like then. He usually goes mad when he comes in.

Offline Rhodri0311

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 11:41:43 AM »
Update on Rhodri - he seems much better today. Eager for walkies this morning, demolished his breakfast and is now fast asleep on the sofa.

I’ll be keeping an eye on him but it looks like he’s back to his old self.

It’s six years today since he came home to us, can’t believe my big boy was once that tiny bundle of fluff 💙

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 12:41:20 PM »
So pleased to hear that! It is a worry when they can’t tell you what’s wrong but unless its anything obviously acute and Humphrey’s still eating, drinking and toileting, I usually give it 24 hours before I see the vet and nine times out of ten he‘s ok by the following day.
Give Rhodri a hug from us!  :luv:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 01:02:36 PM »
Ah that's great news  :cool4:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2022, 08:28:43 AM »
 :luv: Very good news.  They do worry us don't they.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 07:50:04 PM »
Good lad Rhodri  :luv: delighted to hear he is on the mend.  Hopefully it was just a wee dicky tummy and he gets fully back to himself very soon.

Offline Rhodri0311

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 06:54:44 AM »
Rhodri is still a poorly boy. He was fine Sunday but in the evening, he became a bit lethargic again so we took him to the vet yesterday. She said all his vitals were good but his tummy did seem a bit sore when she prodded it, so she thinks he’s picked up some bug.

She gave him some tablets which we started yesterday morning. He was fine all day but was then sick again last night. So strange as apart from these short episodes he’s completely normal in himself. Hopefully, with the medication today again, he’ll pass whatever it is that’s bothering him.

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2022, 09:26:20 AM »
Sorry to hear about your boy! My puppy, Ivy was quite poorly over the holidays with a stomach bug. Sounds quite similar to what you're describing - sore tummy, loose poops, bouts of tiredness, and then completely normal again. She got put on antibiotics in the end and was back to perfect health within a few days. The vet did say there's quite a few bacterial infections going round at the moment and Ivy was the 3rd dog she had in that day with the same symptoms. They also gave her some probiotics (Vetpro paste) and told us to feed her Hill's gastro wet food until her stools were normal again. Worked a treat and she loved the wet food!

Keeping everything crossed for Rhodri that the meds kick in soon and he bounces back quickly!!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2022, 09:55:20 AM »
Oh dear sorry to read he was not well again - hopefully with the advice and meds from the vet he will be feeling better again soon

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2022, 10:04:16 PM »
Just wondering how Rhodri is doing now?