Author Topic: Weight gain.  (Read 1028 times)

Offline pibbo1968

Weight gain.
« on: January 05, 2022, 01:50:33 PM »
Jura our 4 years old has suddenly gained 2kg.
He's a large boy,18kg and his weight has been steady around 17.8-18.4kg since he reached adulthood.He was weighed when he went for his annual booster and was 20.4kg!!?He's been on the same amount of food since he came ff puppy food and get 2 off lead walks daily.
We have cut his food down by about 1/3 but over the last 4-5 weeks he hasn't lost any weight at all.Do they naturally put a bit on as they get older?He doesn't look any heavier!
Are some food naturally more 'fatty'?he has been on Autarky Grain-free for about a year.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Weight gain.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 03:19:01 PM »
20 Kgs does sound rather a lot but then they do vary in build quite a bit. I think, like us, they tend to put on weight with age and also they‘re rarely quite as active as in winter as in the  summer months.
Certainly foods vary so its probably a good idea to have a look at the nutritional values incl. fat and also treats and snacks are very often VERY high in fats, - I used to give Humphrey dried pigs and cows‘s ears until he started putting weight on and I looked at the fat content and was horrified, he now gets a rabbit‘s ear occasionally but they‘re not so bad. Also, keep a check on the ‚extras“ - OH is forever passing the dog titbits but they mount up......
I give lots of vegetables to bulk up his food and he get raw carrots, apples etc instead of snacks.
It does seem to be a constant battle, particularly at the moment as he‘s not very mobile and they do like their food  :lol: but there are ways of cutting down on the calories without them going hungry.

Offline pibbo1968

Re: Weight gain.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 11:48:55 AM »
Just been doing some research and the Autarky food is 68% carbs!That can't be good?
Looking at 80/20 foods.I would think a higher meat,lower carb food should be much better/healthier?

Jura's treats are carrot/cucumber and a piece of Paddywack(one piece per week)he also has one bone from the butchers per week.

The 80/20 foods are a bit more expensive but there's probably a reason for this?A friend who works his dogs has recommended Wolfworthy.Not heard of it so going to look into it.According to 'All about dog food' Wolfworthy has a nutrtional value of 92% compared to 53% for the Autarky and much higher meat content!
https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0323/autarky-adult-dry-delicious-chicken
https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/1533/wolfworthy-80-20