Author Topic: Post-IVDD Surgery care  (Read 1119 times)

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
Post-IVDD Surgery care
« on: January 06, 2022, 07:30:59 PM »
Hi. My 7 year old show cocker Benji has been taken into hospital as an emergency referral this morning and will have an MRI scan and probable op tomorrow to see what’s happened with his discs as he’s been in pain and went lame yesterday. 

As I’ll be the main carer, I would appreciate any advice to help me through his long rehab.  To add to my problems, I have a very ‘puppy-like’ 4 year old show cocker who loves Benji but it’s not reciprocated!  We don’t have any crates at the moment.  What type and size should I get?  Benji used to hate crates but he’ll have to recuperate in one, so that’s bothering me. 

We always knew this situation was going to happen one day when he was diagnosed at just age 3.  It all feels so overwhelming. 

Any help would be so appreciated.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Post-IVDD Surgery care
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 09:40:04 PM »
My 6 year old had an emergency operation for a prolapsed disc in September, he went lame  in his back legs overnight and was in a lot of pain.  The left hind leg has fully recovered but he‘s still struggeling  with the right, he has physio every week but its slow going.
We borrowed a crate for the first week but it was small and I was worried about him hurting himself even more as he had difficulty turning himself around. I purchases a puppy pen, it‘s made up of 8 sections which fit together, I left two sections out to make it a bit smaller and extended it as he became more mobile. I found it so much easier as unlike a crate, the top is open making it easier to access and keep him clean.
Humphrey had no bowel control for the first few days so I had lots of incontinence pads on the floor and covered them with old towels and sheets etc. We were unfortunate in that Humphrey reacted to the painkillers and had the added problem of a stomach bleed which made things very difficult but that was probably just a one off.
He wasn‘t happy about being confined and a couple of times we allowed him out when we were sitting im the lounge but he kept trying to walk and then he‘d fall over and we decided it was too risky, but the advantage of the puppy run was that I could sit in there and give him a cuddle safely.
You‘ll no doubt be given  instructions from the clinic as to post operative care but if there‘s anything at all I can help you with or even if you just want a sounding block  :lol: do please pm me. I won‘t pretend it was a picnic, I found the first couple of weeks exhausting both mentally and physically but we were totally unprepared, our vet was on his honeymoon and his stand-in was hopeless so we felt a bit lost but cockers  are such brave little fighters, its humbling - and of course the wonderful support I had from my fellow COL‘ers was invaluable!!
Very best of luck, I have everything crossed for Benji, do let me know how it goes!!!
 :luv: :luv:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 06:31:11 AM »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-Small-Puppy-Sided-Assemble/dp/B091MCQX8Q/ref=sr_1_7?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&keywords=Outdoor+Dog+Pens&qid=1641536000&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-7&ts_id=471445031

This is what I bought, - (I live in Germany so not sure if its exactly the same but it looks so) I took the door element out and used a side element as a gate to ease getting in and out (I had to carry him outside to toilet for the first week or so)  and I set it up as a rectangle. I draped a blanket over one end to make it more cosy.

x

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 03:36:25 PM »
Thanks bizzylizzy for your posts.  I did find your previous posts last night all about you and your dog’s experience of his back operation. 

The neurologist has called me to say the MRI showed really bad slipped disc (C4/C5) and is in surgery as I type.  I feel so sick with worry and the future. 

Thanks for the offer for me to PM you.  I probably will as I’ve always worried about this happening for years. 

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 10:06:31 PM »
No advice, just want to say I am thinking about you and Benji.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 06:51:51 AM »
Hi again! Hope the operation went well!
Just a quick tip if you haven’t picked him up already - try and speak to the surgeon/vet before you actually get to see Benji. Humphrey‘d been in the clinic for a week and as you can imagine, the reunion was very emotional, I was in tears and Humphrey was trying to jump all over me while all the time the vet was telling me about the after care! Not surprisingly, I got home and couldn’t remember anything he‘d said.
Also, I do hope my previous posts from the time haven‘t discouraged you - our situation was made a lot worse due to an initial misdiagnosis followed by a series of set backs including having to deal with a stand in vet who was pretty hopeless and admittedly I didn‘t cope too well at first but it got better, once I got into a routine.
The recovery rate is, as far as I‘m aware, very  high, Benji‘s young and presumably otherwise fit so I‘m sure he‘ll be ok but it does take time, patience really is the key and you need to take one day at a time.
All the very best for you and Benji, do keep me posted!
X Jayne

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 10:30:58 AM »
Thanks Jayne.  We’ve got a large crate for now and see how we go as we’re restricted with space and I’ve another mad cocker who may cause problems (jealousy).  I’m getting puppy pads and towels at the ready.  Awaiting call from neurologist on update later this morning.  Not helping that I’ve a Uni kid heading off back this weekend.  Emotions all over the place ph34r

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 11:26:53 AM »
Oh dear, that is tough!! Sending :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: Give yourself a treat, take a breath and hang on in there,  in a couple of weeks things will be looking better!  :luv:

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 03:14:45 PM »
Well, not great news.  The neurologist has said that it looks more likely that Benji’s spine is compressed  as his movement is still not good but he’s more comfortable in himself than he was before the op.  He was really pleased with how the op went yesterday that he’s convinced he got all the bits out as it was so clear and clean when he finished.  Good news is that he’s weeing and eating (never known Benji to not eat!) but he’ll be staying in hospital now until Tuesday, and we’ve been warned there will be a lot of physio needed and it’ll take longer for Benji to recover.  There’s still a very high chance that he could get back to normal.  Jayne - how’s Humphrey doing now?  x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 03:58:38 PM »
That sounds good and yes, he will need lots of physio, - we were told the earlier we started the better, - we‘re still doing water (hydro)therapie which is excellent if you can have it. Movement will take time, so don‘t be too anxious, Humphrey couldn‘t stand at all at first, the muscle wasted away and we had to wait for the wound to heal before exercising more to build the muscle up again.
Just this minute I‘m trying to figure out how to post videos, so will load them on here so you can see how he‘s progressing.
 :bigarmhug: