Author Topic: Strange behaviour.  (Read 1598 times)

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
Strange behaviour.
« on: January 11, 2022, 10:34:42 AM »
Morning!

Peanut is now 11 months old, shes very odd this morning, can’t find anything wrong with her physically and she’s happy enough but not quite as bouncy as usual.
She’s refusing to go out, it’s raining lightly, she just sits in the open doorway watching squirrels.
I put the lead on for first walk and she put her brakes on, crouched low with her back high. I didn’t want to force her out and she usually LOVES getting out for walks.
Refused breakfast at 8AM.
Ignored licky mat at 10AM.
I did the hide and blow whistle game which she still loves yet she didn’t eat her favourite reward: a small piece of cheddar yet she instantly sprung off the sofa and searched to find me.

She’s not in season and hasn’t had her first yet. Has anybody got any ideas about why she’s ‘off’ today please and would you try and force her out for a walk, carry her outside with the lead on?
Sorry I’m baffled with this, she’s not been near another dog for over a week.

Thanks.

John.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Strange behaviour.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 11:02:13 AM »
Hi! SO frustrating that they can't tell you what's wrong -it could be lots of things including just having a bad hair day!
How is she toileting? Any signs of upset tummy / constipation, pain or temperature?
I've never had bitches so have no idea if it might have anything to do with coming into season but logically, its all hormone related, so could have something to do with it I'd guess.
I would just wait and watch for the next 24 hours, there's not a lot of point seeking out the vet until you have any real symptoms.
Unless she attempts to toilet in the house, I don't think I'd force her out, just leave the door open for a while and see what she does - I sometimes think trying to coax them seems to increase the tension, - it does with Humphrey anyway.
Plenty to drink, warmth ,rest ,light food and lots of TLC is a good place to start and then just see how it goes.
Sending  :bigarmhug:, let us know how it goes!  they do worry us don't they ? :luv:

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 12:53:00 PM »
Hi Jayne,

Thanks for replying with good ideas, I so wish I’d seen your post before taking madam out! I coaxed her out and thankfully walked her locally so didn’t take the car. She managed to find a ‘stream’ and got out covered in black slimy mud everywhere apart from her face! She stank!
Everything we had on apart from my wellies is in the washer and we’ve just had a joint shower as I was covered in it from carrying her through the house to save the furniture!
I had to wash her in OH’s shower gel, her damp coat looks crimped, she’s dancing around the kitchen looking like Toyah!

She’s eaten her breakfast and the last of the Christmas pate on a licky mat, toileted fine and has that ‘look at me I’ve had a bath’ buzz going on!

I’m now 4 hours late for work so no point in us going!

House stinks, bathroom and kitchen are filthy, OH back in an hour!

Now think she just fancied a lazy morning!  :005:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 01:30:57 PM »
  :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Glad she‘s ok though! I sometimes wonder if they‘re just not practical jokers!!  :luv:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 10:55:49 AM »
Awww poor you and peanut, glad she is ok now though

Ash had similar, went off her food for a few days

Ash also not had her first season yet - she’ll be a year end of January

Hope all else is going well John

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 01:56:44 PM »
Hello Cazza,

How are you guys doing? Can’t believe they are nearly a year already!

They are weird, I can’t imagine peanut off food for a few days, did you ever find out what was up with Ash?

I’m wondering if we’ve missed Peanut’s season!

Have a good weekend!

John

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 07:24:48 AM »
Hi John, nope never did find out but she is back to normal now thankfully

We are doing ok, after Christmas and having family here and all the stimulation she took hard to going back into a routine of me having to go back to work - Tuesday just gone I was in a meeting at 4pm and she decided to join us  :005: good job it was only with my team and not the senior managers (she jumped into my lap )

I too am wondering if we have missed Ash’s season, can’t wait for her to have it now and then I can book 2 weeks off when I get her spayed (which will be about 3 months after her season) and hopefully will have some decent weather then too

Hope you are all doing ok