Author Topic: Pedigree Anoraks  (Read 982 times)

Offline chripet

• Site Member
Pedigree Anoraks
« on: March 13, 2006, 09:59:16 PM »
Hello to all you sad people who spend hours trying to find the 1024 anscestors who came together, in pairs 10 generations ago, to produce your present pooch.
I'm ashamed to say, I am one of you and have been for the last 30 odd years.
I'm a recent member of COL, but have been following with interest all your investigations for a few months and would now like to make myself known, so I can pick a few brains.
I have owned, bred and shown Shetland Sheepdogs for a good few years, but lost our last bitch a couple of years ago and that was going to be it, as far as dogs were concerned. Well, we did manage a couple of miserable years, dog free, but finally succumbed. This time though my wife insisted, as I had had the breed I wanted for most of our married life, our next dog should be one she had always admired and thats how Megan, a orange roan cocker puppy came into our life.
Why, as we are approaching retirement, have we subjected ourselves to the trials and tribulations of a young puppy? We know why. Its the the enjoyment at her going crazy on first seeing snow, its being greeted when you come down stairs in the morning as if you have been away for 10 years and importantly dogs keep you young. You have to go out and exercise them whatever the weather and you are as great a benificiary of this exercise as they.
Well thats us and why I am now a member of COL.
Now to pick some of your brains. I nearly always did 10 generation pedigrees of my Shelties, but these were in a circular format, with your dog in the middle and then fanning out to 10 generations, on the outside. Filled in with Red Ink for Champions, Blue for CC winners, Green for International Champions and Black for the rest they were quite attractive. I actually mounted one under glass on a circular coffee table. This was always a source of bewilderment to non Sheltie visitors, but a great conversation piece for the converted.( And you think tracing your cocker back to Ch. Obo is sad.) The whole point of this is, can any one tell me if these Cicular Pedigrees are stiil available?
Next question, there is a beautiful book available, that has photos and pedigrees of every Sheltie Champion since CC's were introduced. Does anything similar exist for Cockers.
Last question then I'll shut up. I know Jane S will know the answer to this, as the dog in question is behind some of her dogs. Who is the dam of Spinneyhill My Sarah. She is GGG Dam of CH Spinneyhill Stormy Weather over Fonesse.
By the way Jane S. "Ow bist ol' butt" I'm a Forester too!!! (Apologies to non Foresters.)
I have rabbited for long enough. Thanks for your patience if you stayed to the end of this missive and that you all enjoyed Crufts, even if from your armchair, like me and that the judges agreed with your choices.

Kind Regards CHRIPET

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Re: Pedigree Anoraks
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 10:11:32 PM »
I have no answers for you, I barely understood the question, to be honest  ::)

But......Hi and welcome to COL.  May your cocker forever keep you young (mine just gives me more grey hairs - hey ho!)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Pedigree Anoraks
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 11:21:44 PM »
How do Chripet - good to see another Forester on COL (though I'm a foreigner not being born here ;)). To answer your questions, no sadly there is no book featuring all the Cocker Champions with pedigrees - the nearest we have is the annual Cocker Club Year Book but that's not confined to Show Champions.

I'm not sure if circular pedigrees are available to buy anymore - I bought one a few years ago from a stand at a show but can't remember which one. Some pedigree software programs allow you to create circular pedigrees but not 10 gen ones. Peggy Grayson has some fascinating circular Cocker pedigrees - I remember her displaying one for Cilleine Echelon at a seminar a year or two back.

Finally the parents of Spinneyhill My Sarah were Sh Ch Asquannes Omen x Firefly of Spinneyhill :D

Jane
Jane