Author Topic: Gawky stages  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
Gawky stages
« on: April 09, 2006, 06:38:43 AM »
Hi there,
I have a few questions, mainly in relation to the puppy bitch I am showing at present.
When she got to around four months, her muzzle sort of shot out, and has not really filled out at the same time (she is now seven months), and it gives her a somewhat snipey look. She is beautiful apart from this problem, and I am wondering about whether I should pull her out of the ring in the hope she will develop a better muzzle and we can return to showing then.... OR ... do I keep showing her as she grows for her experience and my own enjoyment?
She has wonderful bone so it seems to me her muzzle should broaden up to fit the whole picture, but have also heard being black and tan that they grow differently to other colours.
She seems a real natural in the ring, moves beautifully, plays with the other dogs given the opportunity, or crashes out in her trolley amongst all the comings, goings and noise!

I have been told by several breeders that if they had "it" early on ( a certain feature), it will come back. Is this accurate in other's experience?
I have also heard people say that their pups go through stages when they would not let them be seen in public.
Would love to hear people's thoughts.
Thanks.

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Re: Gawky stages
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 08:29:03 AM »
I'm not the best person to anwser this I have to say but I know some pups "lose" their "stop" at a certain age and this does return.....erm but I did think it was a bit younger than that that it happened, someone will come along with the right answer. Milo never lost his and as always has a georgous head and lovely square muzzle, Nancy did loose hers and "gawky" was the right word!! Thankfully she is all back in proporation now!!! And looks YUMMY!

I'm not sure if its the "stop" you are talking about though as I don't remember it making the pups I have seen at that stage look "snipey".

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 12:38:14 PM »
I have been told by several breeders that if they had "it" early on ( a certain feature), it will come back. Is this accurate in other's experience?

Not in the case of my boy's bl**dy nose pigment >:D :005: :005:

Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 12:51:29 PM »
I have a similar problem. Gracie was a nice chunky pup with a lovely short muzzle and as she's got older her muzzle has gone a little long, I wouldn't call it snipey as from the side it's still nice and square it's just a little bit too long and thin, not sure if it will come back though. I am hoping as she get's older it might fill out a bit more? she's almost 8 months.

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 01:19:55 PM »
We also have the same problem with jazz   :embarassed:
Jazz is 8 months today and we have decided to let her develop then maybe try her out when shes a bit older.

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 01:26:26 PM »
Oh god don't mention 'Gawky' pups  :005: .
So far I've found that our solids dn't change that much really, of course they change, but NO were as near as these blue pups  :o . They have changed so much!!! and have now come to the point of *tryin* really hard not to look at them in that light - and boy is it hard :lol:
Toohey I can't really comment, but hope all works out for u!
Nikki x

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 02:41:22 PM »
 :lol:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 02:52:53 AM »
Thanks for your input. Always good to hear from others who are going through something similar.
It is probably just a growth spurt and hopefully she will improve with maturity.

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 07:05:28 AM »
7 months is still very young and there is plenty of time for her to improve in that area.
Some puppies take longer to develop in the head and muzzle, than others, her head should improve with maturity :blink:
If you and your pup enjoy showing then I would keep going.
I think it's good that you can see where she could be improved, we should all be able to see our dogs as they really are ;) and be aware of any slight imperfections, it helps when we analyse placing's at shows.
Some judges may not hold much importance to that area and some will, like all aspects of showing :blink:
Good Luck, Tracey
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare