Author Topic: about to breed 3 year old, maisie. will she stay downstairs with pups, when they  (Read 3628 times)

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Hard work DEFINITELY......I had to hand rear Daisy's last litter as she didn't have any milk, so bottle feeding every 2 hours day and night, we lost 3 of the 8 pups of the litter too  :'( :'(  6 weeks I didn't see my bed or have a good nights sleep.

My last litter my girl had problems through the pregnancy, she aborted twice during the pregnancy, then ended up with a c-section,  5 weeks and still haven't seen my bed

Offline PennyB

I cant remeber the summer at all really I missed two months because I was just too busy to venture out  :lol:

So if you read this and other stories it means not only at night but someone would have to be in the house 24/7 to look after them (for at least 8 weeks), which for some is not always possible.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
I take my hat off to anyone who's had a litter of puppies having all boys i hadn't quite realised the extent of the commitment and sacrifice (worth it in the end though) you have had to make. You really do have to be dedicated to the cause. Reading all of your comments it is so clear how much you all clearly love and adore your dogs and the time you are prepared to put in to make sure they have happy healthy pregnancies and puppies. Your all superstars in my book and when Sydney and Harry arrive on saturday i will think of you all and not complain if they get me up a few times in the night (sleeping bag already prepared) small price to pay. :luv: :luv: :luv:
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline The Moog

• Site Member
  • Mwaaah!
i am sure both maisie and us will cope, thanks for the reply.

I would have thought you will have read the info everyone has recommended by now, but I just wanted to add something that I think is a very important point that some people may over look - if there are any 'problems' with any (or all) or the pups, you would have a responsibility to take them all back and rehome them.  Rehoming may not be successful or even not possible in some cases, so they could come back to you when you dont expect it. 
Mervyn was born deaf and went back to his breeder twice (over the course of 15 months) before he came to live with us - if it hadnt worked with us they would still have had him back because they are responsible, experienced breeders who understand their obligations.  Imagine Maisie has 9 pups - you have to be ready to have 10 dogs living with you in the worst case scenario!!!   :o :o
Love,
Lisa, Moog & Mervyn x x x x

Offline Wightpaws

• Site Member
  • Wightroche Magical Knight
Sorry to ask some silly questions but:

1.   Why do some people insist on treating dogs like humans, when there is a clear distinction?

2.   Why do some people want/feel the need to breed from their bitch, when the more experienced members of this forum, point   
      out all the problems that could happen to not only their pet but her puppies too?  (Hats definitely off to those of you who 
      breed I could not emotionally go through this and do not intend to either, I'd rather leave to it to recommended(professionals)
      experienced  breeders.

3.   If you have concerns about breeding from your bitch then why do it and put not only yourself but more importantly your pet
      through the additional stress?

Sorry if these upset anyone it was not my intention, but I do feel that sometimes people wanting to breed believe that the worse case scenario will never happen to them.

cheryl, owned by Snops, Rocks, Pebbles and Ruby Roo

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member

Sorry if these upset anyone it was not my intention, but I do feel that sometimes people wanting to breed believe that the worse case scenario will never happen to them.

And sadly "worse case scenario's" can happen to anyone, even excellent breeders with 20/30 years experience who have been through whelping with a bitch a zillion times.