Author Topic: how to find  (Read 2039 times)

tracee

how to find
« on: September 17, 2006, 11:04:59 AM »

out what colours are in your puppies/dogs pedigree also if they have come from a show breeder or a commercial breeder, (when you say commercial do you mean puppy farm ).

i must admit i normally take no notice of the pedigree papers they are normally put in a draw and ignored, but as lotties came yesterday i have been having a look and though i might try to find out where she has come from.
      all help much appreciated.

Offline Tracy S

• Site Member
  • louie-blue shoes
Re: how to find
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 11:23:15 AM »

Hi, when we had Louie last weekk, I was keen to find out if he had any realtions on COL, I posted a list of his parents, grandparents etc.
I also found that if you google some kennel names, you find show results etc. It's very interesting when you start looking ;)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 12:05:00 PM »
If you order a 5 generation pedigree from the KC, it will include the colours of all the dogs on that pedigree which is handy if you're doing pedigree research.

Commercial breeder means someone breeding puppies for profit, as a business and therefore requiring a licence. The law requires anyone breeding more than 4 litters a year to be licenced so technically anyone breeding 5 litters a year is a commercial breeder but they're clearly not in the same league as those breeding 30 or 40 litters a year. Whether a commercial breeder can be categorised as a puppy farm depends really on what you think of as a puppy farm. There are certain breeders I would certainly categorise as puppy farms even if they do have a local authority licence ;) After you've been studying Cocker pedigrees for a while, you do learn to spot the names of kennels known for mass producing puppies, quite a few are based in Wales but not all of them by any means.
Jane

tracee

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 06:38:17 PM »

thanks jane.

are these commercial breeders or show ( these are on lotties papers)

cardemine
          sprogmore
          philford
          tavin
          charterwood
          lynwater
          chancegate
          deanloft     

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 11:11:48 PM »
Cardamine, Sprogmore and Lynwater are well-known show kennels - the others are a bit of a mixture really of lesser known show breeders and those who breed just for the pet market. Quite surprised that there is no West Country breeding in Lottie as I think you said she came from Cornwall?
Jane

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 10:43:30 AM »
If you order a 5 generation pedigree from the KC, it will include the colours of all the dogs on that pedigree.
Mine doesn't have colours on.  :-\ Is that only for show cockers?

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 12:53:27 PM »
Neither does mine and ours are show cockers.  :-\

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 02:40:31 PM »
Must admit I haven't ordered any KC pedigrees for a while but when I bought a lot for research a few years ago, all the colours were noted on them which was v useful. Maybe they've stopped doing it now :-\
Jane

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 02:49:28 PM »
If you order direct from the http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/378 the 3 and 5 generation pedigree state that it will include "This A4 certificate includes information on five/three generations of your pedigree dog's ancestry, Breed, Colour, Sex, Date of Birth, Registration/Stud Book Number and Breeder" I think if you order as a breeder ( to give to puppy buyers) you get a very basic 3 generation, that doesn't include colour?

Michelle

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 02:52:54 PM »
I've just checked the KC site too and think that it's only the basic 3 generation pedigree that contains the colours of all the dogs listed which is different to how it used to be - you'd have to buy a lot more pedigrees if you were doing serious research (perhaps that's the idea :005:).
Jane

tracee

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 03:20:36 PM »
Cardamine, Sprogmore and Lynwater are well-known show kennels - the others are a bit of a mixture really of lesser known show breeders and those who breed just for the pet market. Quite surprised that there is no West Country breeding in Lottie as I think you said she came from Cornwall?

thanks jane  :D   yes she came from lands end.