Author Topic: What would the pups of a solid golden and a solid black.....  (Read 13579 times)

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
What would the pups of a solid golden and a solid black.....
« on: October 31, 2006, 08:30:32 AM »
be like if they were to mate? My Sammy has a girlfriend who is a solid black cocker, and she's in season at the moment. We don't want them to mate, but i think her Mum wouldn't mind if they did :o   All he does is sniff her when they are on the park/field, but just as we put his lead on last night after our walk, for the first time ever, he tried to mount her :o :o  She lives at the other end of our street, and this morning poor Sammy was crying to go out as he could smell her in the air, it's quite breezy too, so no doubt she was in the breeze. Any ideas? ;)
'Everybody lurrves Sammy!'
03/02/04 - 27/10/14 :'(

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Re: What would the pups of a solid golden and a solid black.....
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 09:17:47 AM »
It depends what colours they have in their genes. Black is dominant to golden so unless the black bitch has the recessive gene for gold then they are likely to be all black. But they could get gold in the litter if she carries that gene. They may also have other recessive genes between them that throw up other combinations.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 09:21:07 AM »
Please keep Sammy away from this bitch - if you see her in the park, then go elsewhere ;) It goes without saying that allowing Sammy to mate this bitch would be a very bad idea so the onus is on you to prevent it happening as it doesn't sound like the owner of the bitch cares too much >:( It's very irresponsible of the owner to exercise her bitch off the lead where there are also male dogs being exercised off the lead. It's not fair on the male dogs like Sammy and it's not fair on her bitch >:( I'm afraid if she lives near you then Sammy is likely to be distracted for the time she is in season and may go off his food and become less reliable off lead so you need to keep a very close eye on him.

It's probably best not to speculate on what colour pups Sammy and his "girl friend" might have as you need to concentrate on making sure they don't produce any puppies at all ;)
Jane

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 09:46:08 AM »
It's probably best not to speculate on what colour pups Sammy and his "girl friend" might have as you need to concentrate on making sure they don't produce any puppies at all ;)

Absolutely! Colour is not the only thing to be considered when matching dogs for breeding...there are quite  a few health issues. I know its tempting to have some pups sired by your boy, but it really is not a good idea ;)

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 11:06:17 AM »

Absolutely! Colour is not the only thing to be considered when matching dogs for breeding...there are quite  a few health issues. I know its tempting to have some pups sired by your boy, but it really is not a good idea ;)

I agree, this is something that is best left to the experts!  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 01:01:36 PM »
I know its tempting to have some pups sired by your boy, but it really is not a good idea ;)

The temperament/behaviour of many boys changes forever if they "catch" a bitch - even once  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 01:17:18 PM »
I know its tempting to have some pups sired by your boy, but it really is not a good idea ;)

The temperament/behaviour of many boys changes forever if they "catch" a bitch - even once  :-\

I agree with that, when I was young we had a Cav who the breeder wanted to use as a stud dog (don't remember the full details, I was very little) he did mate with her but nothing came of it.  After that he ran off constantly and actually got himself ran over once.  He was uncontrollable when a bitch in season was around.
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline dorrit

• Site Member
  • Little Ollie and Little Nell
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 02:18:10 PM »
Dorrit was deep red and was crossed with a black cocker and she had 2 Black and 2 golden.

Offline sundune

• Site Member
  • Peta
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 03:07:05 PM »
Hiya,

i agree with all that has been said, i know it is so tempting to see what your precious boy could produce but please don't forget breeding is done selectivly and with due care to many issues such as health matters concerning eyes and hip scores not to mention temperament.
To be honest mating those two would undermine everything a good breeder stands for. My little lady MIGHT have puppies of her own some day but not without all the health tests done and viewing many possable suiters.
I know my little lady has lovely happy healthy dogs right the way back through her pedigree.

Just take a care to your beloved pets hey?

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 03:33:10 PM »
be like if they were to mate? My Sammy has a girlfriend who is a solid black cocker, and she's in season at the moment. We don't want them to mate

...as you can see by what i wrote earlier I had said we don't want them to mate! I was asking this question metophorically ph34r
We have no intentions of Sammy mating with her or any other dog, but there are so many irresponsible walkers with their bitches in season at the moment that poor Sammy doesn't know what to do,  ::) Bitches in season have always been a problem for us, not that Sammy has ever tried to mount them, but that he runs to them  and then his nose is stuck to the girls behind :embarassed: so then it's us who has to run over, put his lead on  and then almost drag him home, poor boy ::) >:( I have written about this on many occasions and i just can't understand why they do it, surely 2 weeks out of 3 or 4 months won't harm keeping them in till the crucial time is over with? Anyway, thanks for all of your comments, and don't worry, Sammy is NEVER going to do the deed as long as we are around ;)

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 04:42:55 PM »
Ahhh yes, I remember your previous threads about sammy - he's a bit of a lady lover isn't he :005:.

I agree about owners being irresponsible with their bitches in season.  It sounds like it's a bit of a problem in your area, and really not funny when you have a dog you just want to take out for a walk.

Going back to your earlier question Herbie's grandmother was golden and his grandfather was black resulting in Herbie's mother who was black.  Herbie's mother then had a litter of 4 black pups (one of them Herbie) and 1 golden pup.  Know nothing about colour genetics but thought you might find that interesting. :D
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 05:05:16 PM »
...as you can see by what i wrote earlier I had said we don't want them to mate! I was asking this question metophorically ph34r

I know you don't want them to mate but the potential for this to happen is there while there are bitches in season being walked in the same area as Sammy is running around off lead. I agree totally that it's not your fault but in your situation where Sammy has to contend with bitches in season on a fairly regular basis, then maybe neutering him is something that will make life easier for him. I think you've said before that he wasn't particularly interested in bitches in season but it sounds as if he is now - some boys mature later than others ;) I wasn't having a go at you but know how all too easy it is for "accidents" to happen even to the most experienced owners.
Jane

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 05:42:12 PM »
... I know you weren't having a go at me Jane, i just read your post as if we didn't mind if he did mate with her, anyway, this afternoon when i took him out his girlfriend was already there off lead, i saw her in the distance, Sammy did too and off he went, i ran over to him just as he was about to mount her :o :o So on lead he went, and off lead she stayed!! I was fuming but they didn't seem to mind me being dragged about the field like a mad banshee >:( In the end they put the lead on her and we walked out together. Missy did her business but poor Sammy missed out, not that he was bothered! When we got in Sammy was pining for her and then he got all amorous with his bed blanket and now he's sleeping it off ::) He has never mounted another bitch b4, she is the first one, he's 2yrs 8 mths. About a month ago when Sammy got attacked for smelling a bitch, when we took him to the vet we asked about neuting him, and he said if he's not embarrassing himself or running off etc then he needn't be done, as he will always smell the in season girls, he just won't get excited about it...... maybe now we will have to re-think about  it  :-\

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 06:12:48 PM »
I hope you don't mine me saying so, but it seems that you walk Sammy in an area with terribly irresponsible dog owners; if you are constantly encountering off-lead bitches  :-\ Can you change the places you walk Sammy?

I know it certainly isn't a problem here - I was chatting to some people I walk with about it after your last posts and they said that there are one or two "repeat offenders" but the problem is certainly not to the extent you describe in your area  :-\

Do other COL'ers encounter them this frequently?  I know Colin and some other COL'ers frequent busy city parks, so wondered if you have this problem too?  If it is a widespread problem on the mainland then it has major implications to us as a family if we ever decide to move back to the mainland :(

Also, I think Helen said in a previous thread that neutering doesn't guarantee that a dog will stop chasing bitches, so even a neutered dog will need to be kept on-lead to stop him getting into fights/across roads etc - even if he can't do the deed once he gets there  :huh:

Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 07:04:55 PM »
So on lead he went, and off lead she stayed!! I was fuming .....
I know how you feel there!  >:(

A few weeks ago we took the boys for a walk in the woods and OH's mate arranged to meet us there with his labrador bitch. We got there first and they were having a great time chasing squirrels. And then his mate turned up with his bitch who was in season!  :o So my boys ended up having to go on their leads so we could keep them off her.  >:( We might as well have plodded around the local park as usual.  ::)