Author Topic: What would the pups of a solid golden and a solid black.....  (Read 13577 times)

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Re: What would the pups of a solid golden and a solid black.....
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 08:10:02 PM »

Do other COL'ers encounter them this frequently?  I know Colin and some other COL'ers frequent busy city parks, so wondered if you have this problem too?  If it is a widespread problem on the mainland then it has major implications to us as a family if we ever decide to move back to the mainland :(

Really???  :huh: 

Rachel, I live in central Edinburgh, the local park to me is very busy.  In the three and a half years I have had Bailey I have encountered 2 off lead in season bitches.  I didn't know about the first one, and Bailey was totally disinterested.  The second one Bailey was really interested in  ::)  He apologised to me, but said she was off lead so she could get away from interested males  :-\

Bailey is very interested in bitches in season.  It makes no difference to me whether the bitch is on lead or off lead, Bailey could still do the deed, so it is my responsibility to have him under control. I always know when one has been walked.  His sniffing is more manic, and he is totally oblivious to me.  At these times I keep him on his lead.  If it was more of a problem for us, I wouldn't hesitate to get Bailey neutered, and the same goes for Harvey when he is older  :-\, but it really isn't that often.

I'm sure Molo would be quite safe from the ladies if you ever decided to move back, you just have to be careful and observant, like you are anyway.  ;)

Subeloo

Take Sammy elsewhere for his walks where you will both enjoy them, whilst Missy is in season.  As for the other bitches, I'm not sure what you can do tbh.  Look after your own, and make sure you are the responsible owner, even if others can't be  :-\

Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 09:48:40 PM »
Rachel, I live in central Edinburgh, the local park to me is very busy.  In the three and a half years I have had Bailey I have encountered 2 off lead in season bitches.

Thanx Elisa - that makes me feel a lot better; from some of the posts I thought this was a daily problem  ph34r

If we do ever have to relocate, we will seriously consider having Molo neutered before we move......in the same way as we were prepared to have him done a few weeks ago when a new neighbour moved in with a bitch (she turned out to be spayed, though, so Molo kept his bits  :005:) - I'd rather avoid the issue occurring if I can  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 10:05:23 PM »
Also, I think Helen said in a previous thread that neutering doesn't guarantee that a dog will stop chasing bitches, so even a neutered dog will need to be kept on-lead to stop him getting into fights/across roads etc - even if he can't do the deed once he gets there  :huh:

I haven't found this to be true as a general statement though there may be exceptions to the rule as Helen may have found. Neutering a dog will generally greatly reduce the urge to mate/chase in season bitches - it's not a cure for general behavioural problems of course but for hormone related issues, it can be very effective. I've seen this myself in our older boy who was once a very experienced stud dog and is now neutered. Although he is still interested in our bitches when they're in season, there is not the same intensity to his behaviour and he is much calmer (plus he no longer goes off his food which is an added bonus ;)).
Jane

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 08:08:04 AM »
When our springer was in season we didn't 'walk' her, however we had to take her out as she wouldn't go in the garden.  We put her in the car and took her to a lay by or somewhere other dogs didn't really frequent.  That way she wasn't causing distress to other dogs and no other dogs would be following her scent home.  We will be doing this with Jade and Amber too when they come into season.  It really annoys me the irresponsibility of some dog owners.  I could never have let her off lead anywhere when she was in season, after all it only takes you to be distracted for a second and the deed could be done.  :shades:

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 09:48:35 AM »
Mikey and Herbie are neutered and have never shown any interest in bitches but I just thought that was because we hadn't encountered any in season around here.  Unless I see them with a bitch in season I won't know if it has any affect on them.  Out on a walk they're not really interested in much really apart from running and sniffing - I'm not complaining :D
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2006, 09:59:35 AM »

Subeloo

Take Sammy elsewhere for his walks where you will both enjoy them, whilst Missy is in season.  As for the other bitches, I'm not sure what you can do tbh.  Look after your own, and make sure you are the responsible owner, even if others can't be  :-\

well, thanks for all of your reply's, but we came to a decision this morning and we have booked him in at the vets for monday morning  :'(
Last night Sammy was in a real state, he was crying and howling and again this morning. He's off his food and he doesn't want to play our game of hide and seek with his frolic :'(  OH walked him earlier and luckily he was ok, but his nose was down to the ground and wizzing around and around, and he didn't even do his bizness ::)   It's going to hurt me more than him, but if it stops him getting upset/distressed, then it's a job well done, but I'm so upset that it has had to come to this.....
'Everybody lurrves Sammy!'
03/02/04 - 27/10/14 :'(

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2006, 10:00:09 AM »
When our springer was in season we didn't 'walk' her, however we had to take her out as she wouldn't go in the garden.  We put her in the car and took her to a lay by or somewhere other dogs didn't really frequent.  That way she wasn't causing distress to other dogs and no other dogs would be following her scent home.  We will be doing this with Jade and Amber too when they come into season.  It really annoys me the irresponsibility of some dog owners.  I could never have let her off lead anywhere when she was in season, after all it only takes you to be distracted for a second and the deed could be done.  :shades:
I wish there were more like you ;)

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2006, 10:01:07 AM »
So on lead he went, and off lead she stayed!! I was fuming .....
I know how you feel there!  >:(

A few weeks ago we took the boys for a walk in the woods and OH's mate arranged to meet us there with his labrador bitch. We got there first and they were having a great time chasing squirrels. And then his mate turned up with his bitch who was in season!  :o So my boys ended up having to go on their leads so we could keep them off her.  >:( We might as well have plodded around the local park as usual.  ::)
Is he still your OH's mate? Did he apoligise for putting your boys through that? ::)

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2006, 10:13:28 AM »
Although he is still interested in our bitches when they're in season, there is not the same intensity to his behaviour and he is much calmer (plus he no longer goes off his food which is an added bonus ;)).
Sammy is such a placid dog and so good natured, I've only ever seen him snap  a couple of times, so maybe this will help him too. I've said on the behaviour forum that he doesn't like little kids very much, so maybe he may not bother with them now, and i also want him to eat, so the next 5 days are going to be horrendous, we'll just have to be more vigilant. Btw, we do take him to another spot where there's a lake and squirrels and he loves it over there, but it's not the place to go while it's getting dark, he goes on this park/playing field first thing and last thing, and now the nights are coming in earlier, we walk him onlead around the streets between 8 & 9pm to empty his tank b4 bed ;) There's not much else we can do i suppose till after Monday as we then have to walk him onlead till his stitches are taken out :'( He NEVER goes in our garden or onlead, so he's going to be 'bunged' up for a while too :o 

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2006, 10:18:36 AM »
Mikey and Herbie are neutered and have never shown any interest in bitches but I just thought that was because we hadn't encountered any in season around here.  Unless I see them with a bitch in season I won't know if it has any affect on them.  Out on a walk they're not really interested in much really apart from running and sniffing - I'm not complaining :D
How old are they? Sammy is 2yrs 8mths, so mabye yours aren't old enough yet to know what it's all about ;) Neither did Sammy till this week ::) :o :embarassed:

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2006, 12:51:14 PM »
....just brought him back form having his paws done, he was crying there and back bless him, he usually only cries when we take him there ::). A neighbour told us earlier that some squirrels were seen runnig across our street the last couple of days, so me and OH looked at each other and thought, OMG!!! Maybe that's why he's been crying and sniffing the air...but then we also said, he's off his food and he did try to mount her, so maybe not eh? :'(

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2006, 02:40:27 PM »
How old are they? Sammy is 2yrs 8mths, so mabye yours aren't old enough yet to know what it's all about ;) Neither did Sammy till this week ::) :o :embarassed:

Mikey is 18 months and Herbie is 16 months.   Tbh I have always had dogs and have always had them neutered and never encountered a problem with them chasing bitches. 

Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2006, 03:02:48 PM »
Your right there are too many bitches in season roaming about  >:( not very responsible is it .it is something we come across alot .
 if you walk them on there leads people think there agressive  :lol: One lady sprinted to get her dog , I shouted its ok mine are friendly she said no there not there on there leads . I said thats because theres an inseason bitch ahead would she belive us would she heck  :005: a 10 meter training line can be useful if you want to give them a free run but want control too .
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2006, 05:30:38 PM »
My sister who is a shepherdess and had an entire working collie (now neutered) had a terrible job with some people who bought property next to hers they had a newfoundland bitch and initially encouraged her dog over to play with theirs then when she came into season refused point blank to take any precautions at all to prevent a pregnancy. It turned out they had an endorsement on their girls pedigree and thought they would just use my sisters collie !! ( or any other black and white dog they said!!)
 well as you can imagine my sister was not happy at all and she had to keep her dog inside all the time as they had no intention of keeping their dog in.  their bitch never did get pregnant and has sadly pased away. they are dreadful people who just wouldnt take a telling. being the owner of a dog not just a bitch,  has equal responsibilities in my mind. accidents might happen, but not to my dogs!

Offline subeeloo

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2006, 06:30:38 PM »
Your right there are too many bitches in season roaming about  >:( not very responsible is it .it is something we come across alot .
 if you walk them on there leads people think there agressive  :lol: One lady sprinted to get her dog , I shouted its ok mine are friendly she said no there not there on there leads . I said thats because theres an inseason bitch ahead would she belive us would she heck  :005: a 10 meter training line can be useful if you want to give them a free run but want control too .

I totally agree with you, I just wish there were more like us with dogs who are responsible walkers unlike some with their in season girls roaming about thinking WE are irresponsible not putting a lead on THEM >:( >:D
Poor Sammy was skipping about the field just b4 it got dark, with her scent all over the place, at one stage my OH lost sight of him :o, but luckily he appeared a few minutes later. I'm 50/50 about getting him 'done' on Monday, in fact we both are :-\ We don't want to lose (not just his jewels), but his personality and temperament, or worse still, to gain weight. He has been eating better today, but has still had the odd cry now and then :'(