Author Topic: Cooked chicken bones  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Cooked chicken bones
« on: June 23, 2003, 08:42:06 PM »
Buddy has just nicked a cooked chicken leg bone from out of the bin and eaten it :(. He crunched it good and proper - I managed to get part of it from down his throat - bit my thumb in the process :'( he regurgitated the rest up momentarily but wouldn't let me get it out - he swallowed it again. I'm now really worried he's going to get hurt from it.

Is there anything I can do - or do I just have to sit it out and hope for the best? I've restricted him to the kitchen right now - but is that a waste of time? I am so cross with him. I don;t know how he got it out of the bin as it's a brabantia with a really tight fitting lid - he's never got it off before :- Any ideas please - oh and to stop a thumb throbbing :'( :'( :'(                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Cooked chicken bones
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 08:49:18 PM »
Hi Pammy

I would just keep an eye on him if I was you.  The worry with cooked chicken bones is them splintering when they are eaten :-  Mine have managed to get hold of spare rib bones and they are quite brittle but have been fine with them and on the odd chicken bone.  I had to get a dead rabbit of Sebastian and then Douglas this morning :-

Cold water and ice really for the throbbing thumb  :'(  :'(                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Cooked chicken bones
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 08:51:39 PM »
Thanks Derryn - PS - love the avatar ;D great to see the boys                    
Pam n the boys

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Cooked chicken bones
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 08:52:29 PM »
Fingers crossed he'll be fine Pam - I always thought the danger was at the eating/chewing/crunching stage that the bones could get stuck in the throat?

Try not to be too cross with him... sometimes the smell of cooked chicken is just too alluring  ;)                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Cooked chicken bones
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 09:16:54 PM »
Vegas did the same thing not too long ago. I phoned one of our vets in a blind panic as all that I could recall were the horror stories.  They just told me to keep an eye on him, make sure there was no vomiting or straining to pass a motion.  He had eaten a fair bit of it and like you I was mighty miffed  but I suppose the temptation just got too much for him(bit like me and the cheesecake in the fridge ;D I watched him like a hawk that night but he was perfectly ok. Just keep an eye on him and fingers crossed everything will be fine :-*                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Cooked chicken bones
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2003, 09:29:24 PM »
Thanks chaps for the reassurance - I'm sure he'll be OK - prob more worried than cross - you know how it is. I''ll keep you posted!!                    
Pam n the boys

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Cooked chicken bones
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2003, 10:28:05 PM »
Poor Buddy......or should that be.....bad, naughty Buddy and poor Pammy ?

Was he OK then ? I remember when Jimmy was a pup he found a chicken bone in the street and stored it in his mouth for later........luckily the guilty look on his face gave the game away. I was still out of my mind with worry that night in case he'd already swallowed some of it. Fortunately there was no problem......hopefully Buddy escaped unhurt too. :)                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Cooked chicken bones
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2003, 10:31:39 PM »
Thanks Colin - he's fine and diddly dandy ;D lucky for him ;D                    
Pam n the boys

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Cooked chicken bones
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2003, 09:06:03 AM »
:( Indie stole some chicken out of the bin last night, we store our bins in the garage and she got out there whilst I was loading the drier :shock:   Anyhow she is quite poorly with the runs this morning :cry:   Which is not like her, she is not really a runs dog more of a sick dog :?   I am quite worried do you think the bones will do this?  Or could it just be the chicken she has eaten?

Thanks

Worried Emma and poorly Indie                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Cooked chicken bones
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2003, 09:15:42 AM »
I'd say probably the chicken, Emma - though keep an eye on her obviously. Little devils, arent they!  :roll:                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Cooked chicken bones
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2003, 09:48:08 AM »
Glad Buddy is ok Pam - the little monkey :roll:                    
Jane

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Cooked chicken bones
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2003, 01:08:57 AM »
Hi Emma,
The cocker we had in the summer found a bone on our common, and got really awful runs. As she wasn't ours, and was not her normal self, we took her to the vet who gave us some powder to put on her food. We had to starve her for a day and then she had to have boiled chicken breast and rice for 3 days.
She was fine by the second day and of course was eating better than we were!
The powder may have helped, but it may have been the plain diet.
Good luck,                    
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!