Author Topic: Our cocker had a seizure  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Woodys Mum

• Site Member
Our cocker had a seizure
« on: July 25, 2007, 03:06:12 PM »
Two weeks ago, our  3 1/2 year old cocker had a seizure after coming back from a walk. It lasted about 2 minutes or so, and was very upsetting. He was gently trembling all over, with his head upturned and his eyes glazed over. I immediately rang the vet who said give him an hour to calm down quietly and then bring him in. The next day, he had to have fasting blood tests to check for his liver and kidney function, amongst other things. Later that day, the vet confirmed that his bile acid was raised, but without any other abnormalities he thought this was possibly insignificant. We are waiting for extra tests for toxoplasmosis, although the vet thinks he may be too old for it to be this.
15 months ago he ran headlong into my son and snapped his back round suddenly and collapsed in a fit, so we rushed him to the vet, who gave him a cortisone injection to reduce swelling of the spinal cord. A few hours later he was back to normal, but I wonder if the latest fit was connected to this? The vet says it was too long ago, but who knows if he hasn't fitted while we've been out, or at night?
Would appreciate any thoughts.  :huh:

Offline ladylola

• Donator
Re: Our cocker had a seizure
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 04:02:42 PM »
No advice, but I do hope they find what is causing it and gets well soon.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 04:06:07 PM »
could he have eaten anything whilst out that triggered it? My sisters dog kept having small seizures but all tests etc showed up clear, turns out the little  >:D was eating nuts that the parrot had dropped from her cage. As soon as they stopped this the seizures stopped! i hope he doesn't have any more. It must be quite scary for you all

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 04:49:17 PM »
Gosh what a worry - I am afraid I have no answers, but just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and hope he's ok.
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline Woodys Mum

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 06:13:01 PM »
could he have eaten anything whilst out that triggered it? My sisters dog kept having small seizures but all tests etc showed up clear, turns out the little  >:D was eating nuts that the parrot had dropped from her cage. As soon as they stopped this the seizures stopped! i hope he doesn't have any more. It must be quite scary for you all

I do hope it was something as simple as this, so long as he doesn't eat whatever it was again! ::)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 06:18:11 PM »
This might seem like a strange question but does he wear a collar and lead or a harness when out for a walk? I know of a dog that collapsed a couple of times, although they didn't have a fit.
The owner changed him to a harness as she thinks he was blocking off his airway as he pulls on the lead. Since wearing the harness there have been no further incidences, and he now walks nicely to heel.  :D

Offline Woodys Mum

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 07:00:41 PM »
No, he wears a halti because he pulls SO much on a lead. We live opposite the park where we walk so there's not much on-lead walking, either :huh:

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 09:41:13 PM »
As that goes across the nose is it possible it restricted his breathing, clutching at straws I know but would rather find another reason.  ;)

I had a dog (Georgia) that used to have fits about once a year, they were stress related. I know that because for various reasons I had to re-home her and in the 3 1/2 years she was with them she never had another one. She was 11 1/2 when she died.

Offline Woodys Mum

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 10:48:30 PM »
Yes, stress is another possible cause. We got a new puppy two weeks ago and Woody doesn't like him, he is a bit afraid of him at times, and irritated by him at others. We have done all the 'right' things as in giving him attention first and feeding first, but of course puppies require alot of running around after so it can be difficult! We just hope that it won't be too long before he accepts him, as we love them both VERY much. :luv: