Author Topic: Some good news  (Read 2041 times)

Offline PennyB

Some good news
« on: December 11, 2003, 10:59:07 PM »
We've just been on a mammoth trek to Cambridge from Cardiff today. I didn't really go to bed last night and left home at 4 am to head off with Wilf to see if the cancer had spread.

Apart from the miserable day where we both got saturated (and I had to buy Wilf a thick pet blanket as he was shivering so much) they don't think the cancer has spread (they have to say it like that as no one can know if a rogue cell has found its way into his system). There are no guarantees, as we all know with cancer. Have been told to go for a check up in a few months and just keep monitoring him. For now no doubt I'll be the nervous owner until I can relax over time and live with the fact that it may come back. No matter what people tell you about how good the news is its you who has to live with the doubts for a while as you're so close to it before you can in time learn to relax. I told the oncologist that as always I'll treat him as a normal pup which she agreed was what I should be doing. Wilf was his usual funny self in that when the vet went to check on when radiography could take him he promptly thought not much going on here then and then proceeded to fall asleep on the treatment table ( I have a friend who insists that shows how ill he is, but I know and the oncologist vet realises that its just Wilf being laid back as when she came back he jumped back up with loads of energy to kiss her again). Mind you she then thought she' get away with not sedating him, but knowing Wilf as soon as the action starts he's conserved enough energy by sleeping during the boring bits and leaping at whatever's moving to try and (a) eat it, (B) hump it, © kiss it, or (d) just dance round it.

Poor Wilf, I think the sedation combined with the overwhelming trip just got to him. I had to carry him wherever I went for the 1st 3 hours. Mind you at one point (Paddington Station) I began to panic as he was in such a deep sleep and quite listless I ended up checking his gums were still pink! He's bounced back now.

To think I really worried about going through London with Wilf on the underground. The whole trip to Cambridge from Cardiff out on the 1st train and hiking on the underground took 3 1/2 hours which isn't bad. Even coming back at rush hour we managed, and for once people were quite good about stepping out of my way and not bumping into me while I was carrying him—methinks London was replaced by aliens today. A young japanese tourist was so delighted with him she wanted to take pix as she's never seen anything so gorgeous as Wilf who had got his full energy back and was bouncing around by now (that's pups for you) she especially liked his new punk hairstyle.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Some good news
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 11:14:43 PM »
What a marathon you've both had today, you must both be shattered! Good to hear there is some light at the end of the tunnel even though there's still a long way to go before you'll be able to relax properly - way to go Wilf :)                    
Jane

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Some good news
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 09:03:26 AM »
I've been following Wilf's progress, that does sound like good news. I'm so glad to hear that.
What a marathon journey you had though, poor you!

I hope he continues to do as well

Shona :)                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Some good news
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 09:37:28 AM »
To think I really worried about going through London with Wilf on the underground

Penny, if I'd known I'd have come along to help you out on that part of the journey - I'm an expert tube traveller, but I know it can be a bit daunting to those not used to it... especially with an unwell dog in tow! Let me know the next time you make the trip to cambridge  :wink:

Glad to hear the news is good, I know there's still a ways to go but hopefully you can let yourself relax a little now for Christmas  :D                    

Offline PennyB

Some good news
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 09:54:16 AM »

Penny, if I'd known I'd have come along to help you out on that part of the journey - I'm an expert tube traveller, but I know it can be a bit daunting to those not used to it... especially with an unwell dog in tow! Let me know the next time you make the trip to cambridge  :wink:  

Thanks Mike I've got no problems travelling on the tube normally but what I didn't want was to be in the middle of a rugby scrum (one Christmas a friend who lived and worked in London was pushed out of the way while he was getting off the tube by a commuter in a hurry—said commuter sent my mate flying on to the floor that resulted in a trip to casualty with a broken hand).

When I got to King's Cross on the way up to Cambridge I took Wilf for a walk round the block to get him to do his business before we got on anther train. Of course he wouldn't comply but as we were dashing to catch the Cambridge train Wilf thought this was the best time to squat in front of everyone else trying to dash for the same train (along with all those who were trying to dash in the opposite direction heading for the tube). Wilf managed to ignore the shout of one bloke of 'not there', and like I was going to drag a dog mid squat (if you know what I mean) back outside which was 'miles away' by now. Mind you it wasn't helped by the fact that I'd given Wilf sardines the night before, where are those bins when you want one—ho hum!

Thankfully, we don't have to go back to Cambridge as my own vet can do any follow-up and I then tell Cambridge of outcome.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Some good news
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2003, 01:36:50 PM »
Awww bless him, he sounds  a real little character. Penny.  :)

Barb                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Some good news
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2003, 01:54:13 PM »
Blimey - what a marathon journey. Glad to hear the news is good for Wilf - I bet he gets a big Christmas present now. I think you deserve one too!

Anita & Phoebe                    
Anita

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
Some good news
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2003, 01:24:41 AM »
Well Done Penny and Wilf. What a journey you've both had. I am  keeping my fingers crossed for you both that everything goes well in the furture for you both.                    
Alfie, and Jay J. together over the Rainbow Bridge. Always in our hearts but dreadfully missed.

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Some good news
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2003, 09:06:41 AM »
I bet you're glad that's the last time you'll go to Cambridge, what a journey...phew :roll:   Let's hope that Wilfs check-ups continue to be positive, he's been such a brave liitle boy :wink:                    
Mary & Lottie x