Author Topic: Jess has a cut pad  (Read 1886 times)

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Jess has a cut pad
« on: January 03, 2004, 11:09:17 AM »
Hello all,
Jess my 20 week cocker has got a nasty slash on her right main pad.  I have bathed it in salt water but not really sure what else to do.  You can't bandage a paw can you?  I suppose some tubigrip for finger wounds would be ok but what do you all suggest?  
Another question, should I still walk her?  She is slightly limping but not too noticeable.  

I was going to put some savlon cream on it but she would probably lick this off as she is licking it all the time.
any advice greatly appreciated
Thanks guys
Linda                    
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline PennyB

Jess has a cut pad
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2004, 12:00:11 PM »
Saltwater's good for cleaning wounds.

How did she cut the paw. If its on glass you need to make sure all of it has gone from it. I'd say bandage it to keep it clean but the difficulty is keeping the bandage on without a boot! You could always ring the emergency vet service for advice as information doesn't cost anything and they'll probably tell you to see a vet if it gets worse.

Keep an eye on it as you don't want to get it infected as that would need antibiotics.

I wouldn't put savlon cream on it as it would serve no purpose. One thing that's also good for keeping wounds clean is Hibiscrub which I believe you can also get from a chemist (won't be on their shelves though so you'd have to ask) as well as the vet which will keep for any other emergencies.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Jess has a cut pad
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2004, 12:45:53 PM »
Hi penny
I just rang the vet and he said to bathe it over the weekend in warm salty water and not to walk her for a couple of days but to keep it as clean and dry as possible.

Hw suggested when she goes out for a wee to put a plastic bag on the foot and then take it off when she's back inside.
If I am still worried I should take her to the vet first thing monday morning.  He asked me if I thought it needed stitching, but I;m not sure really, I don't think its that bad.  I think I will just see how it goes over the weekend.

Jess will not be very happy about walkies being cancelled.  She goes mad for her walks.

I am going to have one frustrated pup this weekend.
Thanks for the help Penny, let you know how she goes

(hope all is well with your pair at the moment.  Thinking of you)

Linda                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline PennyB

Jess has a cut pad
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 06:53:29 PM »
You've also got the joys of grass seeds embedding themselves in cockers feet to look forward to in the summer, but that's another story :lol:

My two are misbehaving, as Wilf has decided he's now a teenager and so Ruby thinks she has to misbehave accordingly. Between the two of them they're acting like a pair of hooligans at the moment. Have just bought a whistle from the local gun shop to see if it'll help with Wilf's new found 'deafness' :lol:                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Jess has a cut pad
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004, 11:27:55 PM »
Funnily enough I have just ordered a whistle online.  Its an acme  210.5 pitch gun dog whistle.  Jess has 2 lovely male friends Trevor and Bradley who are 4yr old and 22 month old field spaniels.  Their owner has one of these and I think it's a very useful tool for recall etc.

They are her best friends and she sees them every day at the same time at our local country park.  Jess's favourite game is tug of war with brad over the kong on a rope :lol:   It's so funny to see them playing together.  I'm sure they're in love :wink:  :wink:

I'm so glad to hear Wilf being his normal cheeky self :lol:  I'm looking forward to the summer then Penny, lots of grass seeds etc.
Have just bought some stuff off vet for her ears, thought it was mites again which she had as tiny pup but its just build up of wax so have to give her ears a good squirting with this once a week and then wipe the ear flap as all the gunk emerges. Lovely :)  :)

I would love to have another dog but I'm thinking of getting a mongrel dog next year from rescue or dogs home.  my last dog susie was a rescue mongrel puppy and she was 16 when she died.  I literally grew up with her and will never forget her.  I would love to offer a home to a youngish rescue dog or puppy :)

Glad to hear your bundles are keeping you on your toes :lol:  :lol:   Teenagers eh?  I can't wait.  At least it doesn't last as long with dogs as it does with humans, I've got three lots to look forward to there and two of those are twins :lol:  :lol:

Think I'll pour myself another glass of wine. even the thought of it is frightening.

Take care Penny
TTFN

Linda xxx                    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx