Author Topic: Hot Spots ?  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Hot Spots ?
« on: January 03, 2004, 09:10:01 PM »
A few weeks ago I noticed a small reddish spot on the inside of one of Misty's hindlegs in the sparse fur close to the baldy stomach area. It went a bit scabby then disappeared...... I thought maybe she had just scraped herself on a bush. Recently more of these have started appearing in the same area and a friend has told me they could be "hot spots" caused by her gnawing at her skin. I'd never heard of these before. Presumably something is causing her to gnaw in this area but I've no idea what it could be. I'm pretty sure she hasn't got fleas as she has recently had Frontline and I've seen no evidence of them on her or Jimmy.

I'll probably take her to the vet this week to check it out , but bearing in mind I seem to get ripped off on every trip there, I was wondering if anyone had any info on these "hot spots" ............ if indeed that is what she is suffering from. She has at least half a dozen of them at the moment. Could she have some kind of skin allergy perhaps ?                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Hot Spots ?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 02:10:30 PM »
I'd check the really obvious things first. Have you changed your washing powder, that the bedding has been washed in? Fabric softener? Food?

I know strawberries make one of my kids come out in spots like this, I'm wondering if she's had anything out of the ordinary to eat, or even if you or your partner have been wearing perfume/aftershave that's caused an inflammation?

Other than that I'm useless, I hope you find out what it is.

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
Hot Spots ?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 03:03:15 PM »
When Archie was younger he had the same thing happen to him, never did find out what had caused it, but was advised to rub a bit of tea tree oil onto the area and it cleared up within a few days.                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Hot Spots ?
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2004, 04:06:25 PM »
Yes tea tree oil is very good for hot spots & minor irritations but its best to use either lotion or cream or diluted oil (never apply concentrated essential oils to the skin). You could clean the areas up first with Hibscrub (available very cheaply if you ask at a chemist or you can order it online from one of the vet pharmacies), then dry the spots & rub in some tea tree lotion. If you suspect mites (though it's not the right time of year really), Benzyl Benzoate solution is very good (again ask for it at a chemists). If you can avoid going to the vet, I would - conventional vet treatment for hot spots often involves steroids which just mask the symptoms without really getting to the bottom of things.                    
Jane

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Hot Spots ?
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 12:19:48 AM »
I've already got some Hibiscrub and will get some Tea Tree Oil tomorrow, see how things go  for a few days before dashing to the vets. Thanks for the advice. :wink:

I doubt it's mites causing it and can't think of food, washing powder  changes etc. Maybe it is because she is young and still has a  soft underbelly with little hair protecting it, so she's a bit sensitive down there. :?:  She does follow Jimmy everywhere on walks and he's always off snuffling through prickly bushes and undergrowth with her tagging along behind, it's difficult to know what's causing it really. Hopefully the oil and hibiscrub will do the trick though.