Author Topic: Vomiting  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Nat

• Site Member
    • http://www.crazycockers.homestead.com
Vomiting
« on: January 06, 2004, 08:09:22 PM »
Hi all

Wonder if you could offer some advice please before I take India off to the vets.

The last 2 days she has been vomiting no diahrria (sp?)., This morning she seemed alot brighter so gave her a spoonful of rice and 3 tiny peices of chicken, and some natural yoghurt.  All seemed well, so gave her a bit more for tea, she lasted half hour, before she started vomiting again.  She is crying/winging, and seems to be panting.

She has been quite a sicky girl over the last few months, getting these tummy bugs, and the vet just says to starve her for 24 hours and then feed chicken/rice/fish ...

Im at a loss really, I was going to take her to the vet for a checkup tomorrow, but any advice in the meantime would be appreciated..

Thanks                    
Nat

Simbarra Cocker Spaniels
www.crazycockers.homestead.com

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Vomiting
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 09:49:27 PM »
Hi Nat,

Is India keeping water down? The only thing I can think of would be to give her no more food, just small amounts of water little and often and take her to the vets tomorrow. Could she have eaten something and maybe have an obstruction? Poor girl - let us know how you get on at teh vets. Hope she feels better soon                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Nat

• Site Member
Vomiting
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 10:39:07 PM »
Hi Gill

TBH I havent seen her drink that much., I was thinking that she might have an obstruction, as she usually has bonio's for lunch but over the last few days she's not wanted to eat them, and will only eat meat, although I cant find anything in her mouth/throat, as far as i can see.

Im making an appointment for the vet tomorrow for both her and Grace, as she has been slightly under the weather too.  Will let you know how we get on ...                    
Nat

Simbarra Cocker Spaniels

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Vomiting
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 03:38:26 PM »
Hope India will be ok Nat. Has she been spayed by the way? If not, when did she have her season? If it was within the last 2 months, then there is a possibility she has a womb infection (pyometra). Hopefully she does just have a simple tummy bug but I would want to rule out a pyo to be on the safe side - normally an affected bitch will drink a lot more water than usual as well as being sick, but we had one who didn't really drink much more than normal so you never can tell. I expect you have been to your vet by now - hope it all went ok.                    
Jane

Offline Nat

• Site Member
Vomiting
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 10:42:12 PM »
Hi Jane/Gill

Was at the vets tonight, and Grace is running a high temperature, so he thinks she has the start of this bug, and India doesnt have one at all.  The vet thinks that it is just a tummy bug, as they both seem quite "comfortable" on their innards...He just gave them an antibiotic jab.

They have had breakfast and lunch (which they didnt keep down), so they have just had 2 bonio shapes.

If they are no better by the w/end they will be going back again ...and I shall suggest pyro Jane...always a worry.  None of the girls are speyed, and India had her season about 3 months ago......

Will keep you posted :cry:                    
Nat

Simbarra Cocker Spaniels

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Vomiting
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2004, 10:51:16 PM »
Sorry just caught this thread Nat...hope both your girls are feeling better soon and it is only a tummy bug  :wink:

Gilly                    

Offline Nat

• Site Member
Vomiting
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2004, 10:55:34 PM »
Thanks Gilly  :wink:                    
Nat

Simbarra Cocker Spaniels

Offline PennyB

Vomiting
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2004, 11:24:27 PM »
I don't know if the vet has said this, but with all these things its very important to make sure that any dog that's feeling unwell has plenty of fluids. Hope they feel better soon.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Nat

• Site Member
Vomiting
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2004, 07:26:40 PM »
Hi Penny.,

They have acces to loads of water, and no he didnt tell me !!  But luckily for me I used to be a veterinary nuse, which has helped with aspects of nursing.

Both girls are alot brighter today, and touch wood, this is the first day since last sunday that India has kept her food down.  Hopefully Grace wont reach the stage india did !!

Thanks for all your help  :D                    
Nat

Simbarra Cocker Spaniels

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Vomiting
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 07:42:56 AM »
Glad to hear they are both doing well :)                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Vomiting
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2004, 09:28:00 AM »
Me too, Nat - sorry I missed this post up until now. The board is so busy these days! Good to hear Grace and India have improved  :wink: