Author Topic: Lump!  (Read 6197 times)

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Lump!
« on: January 08, 2004, 12:31:20 PM »
Im wondering if someone can give me any advice.  Bailey is now 8 months old, a gem!  At about 5 months, we noticed he had a small lump on the top of his head.  At puppy training, we noticed another cocker who also had a small lump in exactly the same place.  His owner told us that this was completely normal! so we didnt worry.  He had all his vet checks done, the breeder had trimmed him for us and said nothing, so we thought this must be normal.

However, he has just had a trim at the grooming parlour, and the groomer has mentioned the lump to me and has said that this isnt normal!  I have made an appointment at the vets for monday.  Im not too worried, but would like to get it checked.  He seems to be a completely happy, healthy pup, eating and drinking normally, toileting normally, full of energy, growing as expected.  This lump can sometimes be quite prominent right on the top of his head, and other times it can be further back and hardly noticeable!  Its about the size of half a malteser (cant think of anything else - sorry!!!), causes no discomfort and is moveable between two fingers.  Like I said, Im not too worried, because he seems to be thriving, but wondered if anyone else had seen anything like this.

Many thanks

Elisa & Baily                    
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Lump!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 12:48:08 PM »
Hi Elisa

Now I don't want you to think I'm being daft but are you sure it is a lump and not his skull. The reason why I say this is that Cockers have domed heads/skulls and if you feel the top of their head on some you might feel a sort of lump all mine have pointyish bits at the top of their heads so I’m just wondering if it could be this.

Can you not get his Breeder to have a look rather than taking him to the Vet.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Lump!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 01:15:10 PM »
Im wondering if someone can give me any advice.  Bailey is now 8 months old, a gem!  At about 5 months, we noticed he had a small lump on the top of his head.  At puppy training, we noticed another cocker who also had a small lump in exactly the same place.  His owner told us that this was completely normal! so we didnt worry.  He had all his vet checks done, the breeder had trimmed him for us and said nothing, so we thought this must be normal.

However, he has just had a trim at the grooming parlour, and the groomer has mentioned the lump to me and has said that this isnt normal!  I have made an appointment at the vets for monday.  Im not too worried, but would like to get it checked.  He seems to be a completely happy, healthy pup, eating and drinking normally, toileting normally, full of energy, growing as expected.  This lump can sometimes be quite prominent right on the top of his head, and other times it can be further back and hardly noticeable!  Its about the size of half a malteser (cant think of anything else - sorry!!!), causes no discomfort and is moveable between two fingers.  Like I said, Im not too worried, because he seems to be thriving, but wondered if anyone else had seen anything like this.

Many thanks

Elisa & Baily

Ok, now I used to nurse, and the classic thing you look for in a ganglion (fatty cyst) is that it's moveable. Something sinister is usually attached and not moveable, so with your despcription I'd be thinking a sebaceous cyst, or a ganglion type thing.

Just explain what you told us to the vet, but I'd be reckoning the chances of it being sinister are slight. I'm certainly no vet though, get it thoroughly examined by a professional.

Let us know how you get on

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Lump!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 01:27:47 PM »
Thanks for replying Dessie

This is what we thought it was until he went to be groomed and the girl there said that the lump Bailey had wasnt normal.  Would we be able to move it around in between our fingers if it was part of his skull?  It certainly doesnt bother him.  It wouldnt be the first time Ive taken an animal to the vet to be told its completely normal.  We once had a hamster who had a swollen behind - it cost us £6.00 and a red face to be told he was a completely normal little boy with urges!!!!

If it is normal, then great.  Just want peace of mind.

Elisa & Bailey                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Lump!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 01:42:32 PM »
Hi Elisa

This groomer might not know anything at all about Cockers and this could be the first one she’s seen.  Is your Breeder not close by that you could just take him around for her to have a look and tell you if it is a cyst or just his skull.  

If it was his skull it would be moveable as this would be the skin moving around over it.  Don’t know how to explain it – does it feel like the knuckles ??? and where is it exactly.                    

Derrindee Spaniels

Offline PennyB

Lump!
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 01:50:38 PM »
If you think its a lump then its worth getting it checked out by a vet as 9 times out of 10 its nothing serious or just nothing at all.

I'm glad now that I went to see my vet with the lump on Wilf's ear very early on, but his problem was so rare I've a better chance of winning the lottery!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Lump!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 02:28:53 PM »
Ive just telephoned the breeder and she is going to have a look at him for me tonight.  Will let you know what she thinks it could be.

Thanks for all your help.

:)  :)  :)

Elisa & Bailey xx                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Lump!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2004, 02:41:50 PM »
She will be able to tell you if it is something or nothing.

Of course if it is a lump then a visit to your vet would be recommended but with this other Cocker at your training having one as well I'm not convinced, seems a bit too coincidental to be a lump  :wink:

JMT but do let us know.                    

Derrindee Spaniels

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Lump!
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 08:41:00 AM »
Went to see breeder last night and she had a look at Bailey for me.  She thinks it could be a cyst or fatty lump.  She even tried to squeeze it!!!!  Nothing to worry about but will take him to vet anyway.  Will let you know what it is.

:)

Elisa & Bailey                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Lump!
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 08:44:29 AM »
Never heard of them on the head, just goes to show you'll never know where they might pop up.

My eldest - Sebastian had one on his nose  :wink:                    

Derrindee Spaniels

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Lump!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2004, 09:25:54 AM »
Thanks for letting us know Elisa - sounds like it's nothing serious and hope it gets sorted soon. I bet Bailey doesnt even know it's there  :wink:                    

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Lump!
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2004, 02:25:35 PM »
Update on "the lump".  Bailey went to the vets this morning.  The vet thinks it is a sebaceous cyst.  He aspirated it a little, but not much came out.  (Bailey was completely oblivious to all this).  Anyway, we could leave it and hope it goes away or we can have it removed.  As the lump is in quite a prominent place and the vet felt that it was likely to get bigger, We have decided to get it removed on Wednesday.  Not a big job - local aneasthetic and sedation.  

Anyway would just like to say thanks for everybody's advice.   :)

Elisa & Bailey                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Lump!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2004, 07:14:01 PM »
Hope all goes well for Bailey on Wednesday.  What a nuisance!                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Lump!
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2004, 09:15:45 AM »
Update on the lump!!!"

Bailey had the lump removed yesterday.  It turned out to be different than what the vet thought it was.  It was 2 dermoid cysts, full of hair.  It turns out that he would have been born with them.  They would have got bigger, so it was best all round that they were removed.  He has got a 4-5 inch wound, 7 stitches and a horrible plastic cone around his neck.  He was aboslutely miserable yesterday but seemed a bit brighter this morning.  That should be the end of it now anyway!  :D

Elisa & Bailey (minus lump!!)                    

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Lump!
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2004, 09:59:33 AM »
Glad Bailey is sorted now.  Chloe and Hols have both had lumps of different kinds and both had the mandatory lampshades.  I ended up trimming them down to half their original size or the poor things would have been blind the whole time of wearing them :D  :D                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe