Author Topic: Jaffa cakes will it harm her?  (Read 20353 times)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Jaffa cakes will it harm her?
« on: January 08, 2004, 08:42:23 PM »
Hi all

Indie has stolen a packet of Jaffa cakes this evening off the table :shock:   She has eaten about 4-5 we think :?  I know chocolate can be dangerous, do you think this will have any affect on her?  Also about half an hour after the little minx had stolen them she was like a raving loonie, totally hyper :shock:   Maybe it was all the artificial things in the jaffa cakes that shes not used to, what do you think?                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 09:06:09 PM »
Unlikely she'll come to any harm Emma. Jaffa's don't have that much chocolate on them. The thing she's most likely to be is sick  :shock:

Keep an eye on her and put the JC's higher up  :lol: My boys love 'em - but they only get a hlaf each :wink:                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 09:09:53 PM »
:) Ahhhh thanx Pammy! thats made me feel better!                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 09:54:21 PM »

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 10:34:42 PM »
Worry not Emma, chocolate is toxic to our pooches, but only consumed in large quantities. I have a link to an article on it on my work pc, i'll post it tomorrow if I remember. I just hope Indie enjoyed the jaffa cakes  :lol:                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 11:10:13 PM »
Don't want to put the wind up anyone here, but it all depends on the sensitivity of the dog ie. some can eat a large amount and yet 1 choc can be enough to kill another. The darker the chocolate, the more lethal it can be as it contains a higher quantity of a chemical called theobromine which is a stimulant, hence the hyperactivity.

this link is interesting
http://chemistry.about.com/gi/dynamic/offs.../chocolate.html

If you use Google and type in 'theobromine and canines' it will bring up a whole load of sites.

Edited to add that the cocoa mulch/chippings from garden centres (for beds & borders etc.) should NEVER be used if you have dogs as that too contains the chemical.

Best to play safe and keep any form of chocolate well out of reach.                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004, 12:44:18 AM »
:shock: OMG!!  Sleepless night for me then :cry:   My little girl left the packet on the computer table :roll:   Thats kids for you, I will make doubley, tripley sure though infuture that they are either eaten or put back in the cupboard.

You mentioned about the hyperactivity, well Indie was certainly extremely hype earlier, racing around everywhere, it was slightly out of character :?   She seems fine though now, has had a good sleep, ate her dinner and is about to come upto bed.

It's useful to know these things though, so we can all be extra vigilant I had no idea that dark chocolate was more harmful than other chocolate. :roll:                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2004, 02:35:57 AM »

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 09:50:47 AM »
Emma

I hope Indie has calmed down now  :)
Millie stole pretty a WHOLE Terry's DARK chocolate orange over Christma, it had been left on the table, and I don't even have kids! ;)
I did panic! I got the calculator out and everything doing sums trying to find out if she'd had a lethal dose, bringing up internet pages.
However she seemed ok, a little while later she seemed very quiet, which is unusual for her, but she wasn't sick or anything. I gave her a bit of boiled rice and her normal Nutro for tea quite late in the evening which she gobbled down and then she was fine again, bouncing around like a maniac (which is normal for Millie!  :lol: )
The next day though she did a HUGE green poo  :oops:  :P
I made Trs pick it up  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Since this incident I have bought her doggie chocolate, which she seems to like, and if we're having a piece of chocolate, and she's good, doesn't beg and sits queitly in her basket, she can have some doggie choc drops ....  :)                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 09:51:53 AM »
:) Just thought I would let you all know the Jaffa monster is fine today :)  Not even a funny tummie!!!  Its a relief, I didn't sleep very well last nite, worrying about her :?   But then worry is my middle name :wink:

Thanx for the advise and info, needless to say Indie has tasted her first and last jaffa cake.                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2004, 05:21:59 PM »
Emma, I am so sorry if I gave you a sleepless night but am also very pleased to hear that Indie is fine......phew! :D
I just thought that it is something that should be brought to light as none of us would ever want to hear that something tragic had happened, which by being a little more knowledgeable could have been avoided. :wink:                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2004, 05:31:30 PM »
Emma, I am so sorry if I gave you a sleepless night but am also very pleased to hear that Indie is fine......phew! :D
I just thought that it is something that should be brought to light as none of us would ever want to hear that something tragic had happened, which by being a little more knowledgeable could have been avoided. :wink:

:) Ohh Michele don't be daft you don't have to apologise!! I agree with you, people do need to know, it may help someone in the future which is only a good thing :wink:   Michele, I would have worried anyway regardless :?  I am such a a worrier when it comes to my kids and my dogs.  By the way jaffa cakes are now under lock and key :wink:  :)                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2004, 06:51:30 PM »
Here's the table I mentioned previously, taken from the Veterinary Support Personnel Network - from this you can calculate whether your dog is likely to have taken a dose that could be toxic, depending on amount taken, type of chocolate, and body weight. Of course, these stats are just guidelines and not to be taken too rigidly  :wink:

http://www.vspn.org/Library/misc/VSPN_M01325.htm                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2004, 12:46:48 PM »

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2004, 10:00:34 PM »
from the info I found whilst I was having panic attacks after the chocolate orange incident it seems that white chocolate does have the toxic element, but because white chocolate is a much 'diluted' version of chocolate, the amount of the toxin is much less - still has it though.

HTH  :)                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk