Author Topic: "Mr Whippy" poo!  (Read 2577 times)

Offline ednotdave

• Site Member
  • Joe - 3 mths
"Mr Whippy" poo!
« on: December 14, 2007, 10:37:32 AM »
Joe is 15 weeks and is fed Beta Puppy (90g 3 times a day), but his poos are always a "Mr Whippy" consistancy! Should I change his food or stick with it?

Thanks, ed.
Mad Dogs and Englishmen - Joe Cocker

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: "Mr Whippy" poo!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 03:48:33 PM »
It's not the best quality food out there so if you don't think it's suiting him then you could consider changing to something like Arden Grange, Burns, James Wellbeloved or Nutro which all contain high quality ingredients.

ETA: should have added before that it is pretty common for young puppies to have runny stomachs so I wouldn't worry hugely about it but if you are looking to get him onto a good quality food long-term then maybe think about changing him  ;)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline amanda9586

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 03:57:55 PM »
Being a first time dog owner - I dont really know much about much but Poppy's Poos where very Mr Whippy till she was about 18 weeks old and then the last 5 or 6 weeks they have been much much better with just the odd Mr Whippy (say once a week).  We havn't changed her food or anything (JWB) so no advice to offer I'm afraid.....

.....except sympathy on trying to get Mr Whippy into a poo bag  :005: :005:

Amanda & Poppy

Offline ednotdave

• Site Member
  • Joe - 3 mths
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 01:00:51 PM »
Bought some JWB Puppy (turkey & rice - as it's Christmas!) yesterday, so we're now on a week of gradual change-over. I thought it was quite expensive at first, but the guidelines suggest that Joe only needs around half as much JWB as he was having on Beta - so it will actually work out cheaper!  :shades:

Thanks for the replies...

Offline ednotdave

• Site Member
  • Joe - 3 mths
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 07:17:06 AM »
Joe's just completed a change-over week and is now officially on JWB Puppy (turkey & rice)! His poos already seem to have improved in consistency, which is great, but I'm not convinced that he's getting enough to eat - he polishes off his meals in 30 secs and is always looking for more. I have studied the JWB guidelines and am giving him 3 meals of 50g each (he is 3 1/2 mths old and weighs 7.2kg). Could anyone confirm if this is right, please - I don't want him to go hungry, but I'm worried about over-feeding, too!

Thanks

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 10:51:21 AM »
If he's maintaining a good weight on that quantity, i.e. not getting fat or losing weight and he's growing ok then just stick with what you're doing. Just keep an eye on his waistline and if he starts to look like he's losing or gaining weight then adjust the quantities appropriately.

It's pretty much impossible for anyone to tell you the 'proper' quantity of food to give a dog without actually seeing how they do on it. My dogs are all on the same food and Tilly is about 3kg heavier than Alfie so you would think that she should get more food than him but she only gets about three-quarters of the amount of food that he does as he doesn't put on or maintain weight easily whereas she is what you might call 'a good doer' i.e. she gets porky easily.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/