Author Topic: not sure if it belongs here BUT- baggy eyes  (Read 1254 times)

Offline DudleyTheMad

• Site Member
  • Dudley, I don't think you're meant to eat jelly...
not sure if it belongs here BUT- baggy eyes
« on: December 18, 2007, 12:17:49 PM »
My gorgeous Duds has baggy eyes, always have, always will. Its inherited. Much like my own eyebags, accept his are from his daddy. Will this cause him health problems and is it a sign of poor breeding?
han and duds xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: not sure if it belongs here BUT- baggy eyes
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 01:51:30 AM »
No, baggy eyes are not a sign of poor breeding, it can happen to well bred dogs too

They are more prone to getting things in their eyes because of the looseness of the lower lid, but I'm not aware of any health problems associated with it.

Just keep the eyes clean  :shades:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 09:34:22 AM »
Baggy eyelids (ectropion) may not be a sign of bad breeding as such but they are hereditary - the surest way of producing puppies with ectropion is to breed from dogs with baggy eyes so good breeders would try to breed away from this problem. You rarely see ectropion in Working Cockers presumably because breeders who work their dogs have always selectively bred against this but you do see it in some show-type dogs and in dogs bred for the pet market by commercial breeders etc.
Jane

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 09:58:26 AM »
Dyls eyes are a little bit baggy and he is from a good breeder and good lines.  Two of the males have this but I did not know it was hereditary.

I do not find that I have any more problems with him than the other 3 who do not have this problem and he is as much the mad loon in and out of everything that the others are.

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!

Offline DudleyTheMad

• Site Member
  • Dudley, I don't think you're meant to eat jelly...
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 09:32:31 PM »
Yes, Dud's eyes havnt affected anything he does - and i know that his dad had baggy eyes, so thanks everyone, i can put my heart to rest :D
han and duds xxxxxxxx