Author Topic: Uterine torsion  (Read 8094 times)

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Uterine torsion
« on: February 29, 2008, 01:56:47 PM »
Well the last couple of days have just been a blur. Penny was on day 57 of her second pregnancy and all had been well up to this point. She started to have a coloured discharge from her vulva and I knew something was wrong. I'd been onto the emergency vet and she'd also been checked by the practice vet who all seemed to think things were ok. By day 59 which was yesterday I'd been up most of the night with her as she began first stage labour, not particularly unusual for Penny as she's whelped on day 56 last time. Things just didn't seem right and again after phone calls and vet consultations they thought she had inertia and needed an emergency section. This was carried out and 2 very long hours later I was rung by the vet. Penny had been very lucky, she's developed uterine torsion, a rare and potentially life threatening condition for both mother and pups. Her uterus had completely twisted around on itself cutting off the fetal blood supply and we had lost all the pups. Penny is now exhausted but back at home and I have been so lucky that she is still here.
I didn't embark on this pregnancy lightly and was prepared for almost all eventualities and even if it had been detected sooner, it looks like it would still have been too late to save any pups, mainly because they would have been too prem to withstand the slim chance they had.
I'm struggling to come to terms with this at present, but thankful I still have Penny, I'm devastated for the loss of  those much wanted pups, for Penny and her ordeal and for the expectant pup owners who had been eargerly awaiting imminent news. I know uterine torsion is very rare and really at present would just like to know of any other breeders who have suffered with this or is it so rare I'm on my own?
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: Uterine torsion
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 02:00:11 PM »
No advice but wanted to say how sorry for your loss but glad Penny is still with you  :'(

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 02:03:33 PM »
No advice here either, sorry.

Just wanted to say how sorry I was over your terrible loss but so relieved that Penny has pulled through this horrible ordeal.

Bigs hugs to you both.

Lisa x

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
Thinking of you all. I hope you all start to feel better soon. :-* :luv:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 02:06:43 PM »
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I can't imagine how you are feeling now and Eric sends you big licks to comfort you.
I am relieved to hear that Penny is still with you and I hope she recovers quickly and well from her ordeal.
Take care  :luv:

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 02:14:13 PM »
As one of those expectant pup owners I can say, hand on heart, that what I did/didn't want doesn't enter into it.  I am so sorry for poor Penny, for the wee souls who didn't make it into this world but especially for you Karen.  You have to be one of the nicest people I have ever met and a dog lover in every true sense of the word.  I know how this must be hurting you and I wish I could do something to make it easier.  I hope Penny continues to improve and I will be thinking of you both.
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Cazzie

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 02:16:45 PM »
Im devistated for you  :'( , give Penny a huge hug from me  :luv:  as I know just what it feels like when a bitch is on deaths door after a birth. Im so sorry  :'( :luv:

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 02:18:39 PM »
Oh you poor things  :'( and so close to the due date  :-\  amazing that Penny is okay. Your vigilance probably saved her life, she's a very, very lucky girl  :-*
Our litter last year was problem free, but I do know the feeling of watching your little girl like a hawk and being very nervous about anything that seems slightly amiss.
This must have been awful for you   :-\ but well done for putting pressure on the vets, no-one knows your own dogs better than you and if something seems wrong then it most likely is.
The loss of those pups must be very upsetting, I almost lost Moss when he was born and had to swing him a few times to get him breathing. The fear of loosing a pup was awful, so I can't imagine how awful if must be to actually loose a whole litter, really feeling for poor you and Penny  :'(

Loads of love and hugs from my lot  :-*

Mary xxx

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 02:22:32 PM »
 :'(  I am so sorry, how awful for you but I am so glad that Penny has come through this ordeal and hope she recovers quickly  :luv:

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 02:22:48 PM »
Oh Karen, I'm so sorry to hear this about Penny and her babies  :'( give her a gentle hug from me.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 02:34:50 PM »
I am so, so sorry.

I am glad that you have your Penny home safe and well, but what an awful loss.

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 02:35:30 PM »
i am so sorry to read this. Thankfully Penny has pulled through ok, although I imagine it is still heartbreaking to watch her go through it.

God bless the little pups that didnt make it  :luv:

I hope you are ok Karen  :blink:

xxxx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 02:36:41 PM »
Very sorry for what you've been through, to get so far and then lose the whole litter and nearly the mum is awful  :'(.
Cayley.

Offline fenn2006

• Site Member
  • Best girl Fenn
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 03:08:05 PM »
I echo what others say, this is such a sad and unfair thing to happen  :'( I am so please Penny is o.k though, if not exhausted poor love I wonder if she is aware of what has happened. :-\

Big hugs to you and Penny, take care of yourself xx :luv:

Sleep tight little ones :'( :angel:
Cockers are little people with minds of their own... x0x

jarbaha

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 03:14:47 PM »
my heart goes out to you, and so glad to hear penny is ok too.
i know what is like watching your girl like a hawk,with only days to go before whelping. and its sad to loose any puppy or dog, but to loose them at such a young age, is awful and heartbreaking  :'(.
run free little ones  :'(.
i have'nt experienced this myself, but one of my girls did get into trouble, as a puppy never presented into the birth canal, but was pushing with all her might, ( basically she has an abnormally large puppy , which was born still born, through a c/section)and was straight off to emergency vets on xmas eve two years ago, and had to have an emergency c/section. sadley i lost that puppy, and one behind it, as its lungs had filled with fluid, and out of 7 puppies 5 survived. ( so they were my little christmas miracles).
after this, i also took the desion to have her spayed at the same time as the c/section, so this would'nt happen again, and she never had to go through it again either.

it can be soul destroying, as we put our heart and souls into what we do,
its proberly not what you want to hear right now, and i'm so, so sorry for your loss, but the main thing is your girl  penny is ok.
give her lots of gentle hugs.
and thinking of you at this sad time.
terri
x