Author Topic: Digital SLR Camera  (Read 4683 times)

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Digital SLR Camera
« on: May 06, 2008, 02:05:27 PM »
Okay folks after nearly two hours of dodging rain yesterday in an attempt to get a half decent photo of 3 of mine together >:D, I have decided that a new camera is going on my birthday list!  I am looking at the Canon range something about £300 mark? I am a complete novice with SLR cameras but frustrated with point and click digital.  Mostly for taking photo's of dogs both at home and shows (surprise, surprise) has anyone got any views on what I should or shouldn't be looking for?

Thanks

Michelle

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
Re: Digital SLR Camera
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 02:20:06 PM »
I have an Olympus DSLR and it is good for me (I am a complete Novice) and wanted it for pics of the dogs and kids.  It's easy to use but I probably wouldn't buy one again, I would go for the canon but I think they are a lot more expensive but then accessories are easier to come by so it's swings and roundabouts really. 
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 04:14:12 PM »
Thanks Michele,

Was looking at the Canon 400d but the reviews for the 350d seem better? and I can pick one of these up well within my budget?  Just don't want to pay out so much money for something too complicated for me to use ;)

Michelle

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 04:57:12 PM »
I have a Canon EOS 350 that I bought a few years ago.  It's a fine camera and the lenses from my previous Canon 35mm camera fit it.

Try here if you want one for a decent price.  I doubt you will get one for less than £300.  http://www.camerabox.co.uk/products1.asp?DepartmentID=3

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 05:05:08 PM »
If you get a decent digital SLR, you'll also have to budget for one or two good lenses too. I have a Canon EOS400D which I love but which only came with a basic 18-55 mm lens. If you want to take photos of dogs, specially at shows etc, you're going to need at least one lens with a much longer zoom which will add to the price quite a bit.

The only thing I don't like about my 400D is that I find it quite heavy to carry around with a lens attached which is a bit of a pain at shows (I daren't leave it on our bench in case it gets nicked!) and on walks but it does take far better pics than a compact ever will ;)
Jane

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 07:31:58 PM »
I have a couple of the non digital Canon EOS SLRs and then a 350D as well and it is a great camera, I wouldn't use anything other than Canon. If you want to get the best out of it you're better to use the manual settings but it does have a range of automatic ones as well which set the aperture and shutter speed for you. As Jane said though you'll need to get a couple of lenses for it which does add to the cost because you'd be very limited with just an 18-55mm if that's what they come with (I bought mine body only as I already had several lenses for my non SLRs).
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline BettyBoo

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 07:37:40 PM »
I've got a 350D and think it's a great camera. But I agree with Jane and Nicola that you'll need to buy a decent long lens to get the best out of it. We paid £350 for the camera and then another £350 for a lens but it's well worth the money IMO. ;)
We got the lens from a website called 7dayshop.com which seems pretty good pricewise.
Barbara, Betty & Millie x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 09:21:55 PM »
I've got the 350D too, plus the 75 -300mm lens. I bought a refurbished 350d through Ebay and got good deals on the lens by shopping around.  It is heavy to carry around so only have it if I'm definately out to take photos rather than chance snap-shots IYKWIM.

If you buy a refurbished one like mine, note that it may be a Rebel - the USA model. The spec is the same but you need an adapter for the battery charger.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 10:04:13 PM »
The good thing about mine (Olympus E410) is that it is small and light and you can pick them up for a good price new, it does take great pics and is good for me to learn about digital photography, it is so much better than either of my compact cameras but I will be trading it in for a Canon when I manage to learn enough to warrant me spending the money on one.
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 10:27:54 PM »
Thanks everyone :D Phew lots to think about.......... will probably have a browse on ebay for the Canon 350 but may have to bump up my budget to include an extra lens. 

Michelle

Offline Taffy Girl

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 08:18:14 AM »
We have the Sony A100 - as it took ?Minolta lenses which my hubby had for his previous camera. He has picked up some good lenses on "flea-bay" for a fraction of the cost and they have all been fine.
Agree with what the others have said you need to spend a bit of money and get a decent lens or two to make the most of it. 

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 11:10:14 AM »
Thanks everyone :D Phew lots to think about.......... will probably have a browse on ebay for the Canon 350 but may have to bump up my budget to include an extra lens. 

Michelle
- This is where I am at to! I was looking at buying a 350D, but then adding the essential longer distance lense blows my budget to bits!! I'm going to carry on stealing my Mum's camera for the time being, until I can raise the funds!

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 05:21:12 PM »
I have managed to get a second hand (12 months old) Canon 350d with two lenses an EF 18-55MM and EF 55-200MM an extra battery and a bag for less than £350  :D bargain!  all I now need to buy is a Compact Flash card.  Can't wait to try it out!

Thanks

Michelle

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 05:23:32 PM »
Wow what a bargain will see you at the shows then clicking away  ;)  :shades:

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 05:31:07 PM »
Sounds good, looking forward to seeing the results  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie