Author Topic: Breed congental problems?  (Read 1025 times)

Offline turbobert

Breed congental problems?
« on: July 29, 2008, 11:38:04 AM »
I am going to choose a working cocker pup shortly - can anyone tell me what I should know/ask about regarding breed congential weaknesses and 'testing ' of parents?  I appreciate that Working Strains are often not tested.  Labs are eys and hips I believe - what are the problems with working cockers?  Shjould I worry about this?

Cazzie

Re: Breed congental problems?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 12:26:37 PM »
Knowing what I know now, if I was looking for a working cocker pup now I would deff go for one from tested parents (eyes at least). Although it is not a 100% guarantee for a clean bill of health for any dog for life, it shows responsibility that the breeders are not breeding from what could be possibly defected dogs  :blink:

Offline jacnig

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 06:04:46 PM »
Hi

I have just been going through all the testing needed as I am hoping to breed from my working cockers.

I have decided to go the whole hog and have not only the necessary annual eye test and gonioscopy but also to have mine hip scored and DNA tested for PRA - prcd and FN.

The requirement to be a accredited breeder is the first 2 and the others are recommended.

I hope this is of some help to you.
Jacqui and the cocker crew

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 10:16:46 AM »
mines been done as a matter of course breeding or not its still worth testing them.  Ideally go to a breeder someone else has recommended there are some great ones out there.  I wouldn't buy or recommend my own breeder sadly change of circumstance has also changed his ethics and standards :'(