Author Topic: Bonkers dog!  (Read 1077 times)

Offline GinnyB

• Mali, my gorgeous golden girl
Bonkers dog!
« on: September 09, 2008, 09:48:11 AM »
Mali has been turning her nose up at her food for a week or two now and after reading a suggestion on here in the past that said, (words to the effect of) throw the food on the floor, I tried it when we were in Scotland. She ate every bit but we have now reached the stage where she won't even give her food bowl a second glance and will refuse to eat until I have emptied its contents over the kitchen floor. My house is far from being a show home so it's not a big problem but, is it normal??????  ph34r

Anyone want to buy an unused Chow Bella bowl with "Mali's Dinner" written on it?  >:(
Elsie my beautiful bluey

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
Re: Bonkers dog!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 03:51:57 PM »
Hmm!
 Methinks she thinks its a game. my sister had something similar going on with one of her dogs.
 she saw a behaviourist etc and this is what worked ..
 put her food down and if after 10 mins she hasnt touched it take it away. no treats no fuss. dont even let her think you are bothered.
 3-4 hours later try again. same food same bowl. if not touched or unfinished after 10 mins take it away again . put it out of sight and smell. no chews or filled kongs to be given either until she is eating properly, she will eventually eat it. it may take a day or 10 !!  ;)  :D .my sister has a very fussy deerhound she went through this her dog would only eat if hand held food was given to her.
 now she eats twice a day from a bowl and her own food, not special chicken etc to entice her. it took a lot of patience and a long time to change her eating patterns, and my sister had to stop stressing over it ( her dog made herself v thin, was seen by vets etc.. she is now bursting with health)
 so good luck!!

Offline GinnyB

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 05:36:59 PM »
blimey!
Thanks for that Jean, I'll give it a go.
Elsie my beautiful bluey

Offline KarenB

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 06:03:45 PM »
If any of our dogs refuse to eat, I usually take it away till next feed time, that usually sorts it out.

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 06:03:54 PM »
blimey!
Thanks for that Jean, I'll give it a go.
Let me know how you get on, I think you have to be as firm with yourself as with mali.  ;)

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 06:10:43 PM »
i agree with Jean. :D My Lucy was the fussiest dog i've ever met, and would voluntarily starve herself for up to 3 days at a time. the mean mummy approach worked a treat and she now gobbles up her dinner. :luv:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline GinnyB

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 07:11:28 PM »
I've starved her before for refusing food (and it worked on the second day) but she's not exactly refusing it now, she just doesn't want it in a bowl  >:(
Elsie my beautiful bluey

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 07:13:59 PM »
that's exactly what Lucy did ;) i used to flick each bit of kibble across the floor and she'd chase it. :embarassed: it was only when i realised i was gonna have a newborn Indie in a few weeks time that i realised i wasn't going to have time to do that for her forever.
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).