Author Topic: saying 'hello' at last  (Read 837 times)

Offline missbear

saying 'hello' at last
« on: October 15, 2008, 05:23:42 PM »
After years of sneaky peeks at COL on my pc at work, we are now on-line at home, and so it's time to introduce ourselves.  We have two show-type cockers, Ruby (10 years old AKA muttkins) and Alice (ten months old, AKA pupkins, [and devil-dog, moo-cow, and much, much worse!])

Ruby is a lovely, gentle blue-roan and Alice is a red with white spots on her snout and a white chest. Although I shouldn't say it myself, Ally is very, very, very pretty - (on the outside at least!) 

It will come as no surprise to you all that we love them both soooooooooo much - when I learn to use a digital camera, I'll post some pics and I hope you'll all love them too.

After looking at pics of your smashing girls and boys, I am more convinced than ever that there really is no other dog that compares with the magnificent English Cocker!  Does anyone out there agree?

One thing I would welcome advice on: young Alice is, I think, a dominant bitch and is sometimes quite aggressive with Ruby (who is quite weak now, with poor hearing and eyesight). She hasn't hurt her but I am afraid that unchecked, she might. We are being very firm with her when she displays this unnacceptable behaviour (I know that we are supposed to reinforce the natural pack order, but this is more than that) and I think things are improving, but has anyone any experience of this that they could share with us?  Thanks all

regards

'Miss Bear'

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
Re: saying 'hello' at last
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 05:42:06 PM »
Hiya, welcome to COL.

I have no advice re handling your dogs I'm afraid, I ams ure someone with experience will be along shortly.

Glad you could finally join us anyway! Enjoy!
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 05:42:50 PM »
Hello and welcome to COL. I'll leave the advice to others, as I'm completely new to the doggy world and learning every day!

I have Chloe, she's a 5 and half month old working type and as mad as a hatter!

You'll love it on here and will find all the answers to your questions I'm sure.  Be careful not to get too addicted!

Sue

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 08:50:02 PM »
Hello and welcome to COL  :blink:

I have 2 show cockers Bailey aged 3 and a gobby madam and Rosie 14 months and very gentle. I also have 2 golden retrievers   :blink:
Bailey thinks she is boss and will bully my retriever Lucy(9) if she gets the chance  :-\ I never leave them together when I'm out and she gets told off if she is nasty in the house. On the odd occasion Bailey has been put out of the room for unexceptable behaviour for a short time.  Rosie even though a very gentle kind cocker stood up to Bailey on her first day here (aged 6 months) Bailey tried to take her food so Rosie barked at her  :blink: that was enough and Bailey has never raised an eyebrow since towards Rosie  :luv:
But she will hassel Lucy so I do step in when needed as Lucy would never defend herself she is far to sensitive. Bailey will bash into Lucy when we throw the ball growling and trying to bite her (I say bite but it is more the action she has never marked her ) :blink:  When Bailey does this we now put her straight on the lead for the next couple of throws, Bailey has been so much better, she gets a reward for being good. She is making the connection if she growls at Lucy she goes on the lead. Infact its worked well she has made a huge improvement. :blink:

Good luck with Alice  :blink: I would be firm and don't stand for her antics with your old girl  :luv:
Bailey is a red cocker too  ;)
Be warned COL is addictive  :005: :luv:

Jo

Offline beebee

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 09:15:34 AM »
Hi welcome to COL :D
I have Maisy a black show type who is nearly 2 :luv:

Offline eljaybee1956

• Site Member
  • Dad's busy...Can I take your message?
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 09:57:57 AM »
Hello, welcome to the Mad House, otherwise known as COL. I am possessed by Jeeves, an 11 month and two week old blue roan and tan show(off) :lol2:. Enjoy yourself here, and don't be long posting the pics.
"Cockers are LOVE on four paws, & LOVE comes in many colours" - Carol Lee DAWSON (Breeder)

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 10:20:12 AM »
Hi, hope you enjoy COL - I'm quite new to it and have found it really insightful and helpful.

My two are a choc & tan called Misha and a choc/white/tan called Roly - both under a year old.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline missbear

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 12:47:51 PM »
This is Miss Bear (also known as Lizzie) calling. Just to say thanks for welcoming me on board - and Alice seems to be improving already with my old girl, Ruby!  Must be the influence of COL !

Regards

Lizzie x