Author Topic: Hi from Edinburgh  (Read 7266 times)

QuietScribe

Hi from Edinburgh
« on: January 27, 2009, 07:00:31 PM »
Hey there,
A geek from Edinburgh here.  28, male, and living in a flat beside Holyrood Park.  My main passions are reading, collaborative writing, art, the old online game Ultima Online, chinese food (though that is less of a passion and more of an indulgence) and movies. 

We had a cocker spaniel when I was growing up, who was well loved, but dreadfully untrained.  He ruled the household to a greater degree, and loved it.  I currently have no dog of my own, (ex partner kept the house and the dogs when we split after 6.5 years), and now with a place of my own I am in a position to once more offer a home to a dog a home.

I orignially considered getting a cardigan welsh corgi, because they are adorable, and have lovely temperments.  However they can be a little barky (my neighbours would not approve), and with their shorter legs, getting up and down stairs would be an issue for them, especially when small.  I considered rehoming an adult, however there have been none available for over a year, and over 100 people on the waiting list, so that was out of the question.  So my thoughts soon returned to the beloved cocker spaniels. 

After much consideration, I have put my name down with Rescue Cockers (part of the Cocker Spaniel Club of Scotland), and so it is just a waiting game until one finds itself in need of a quiet home.

Its only been about a week, and I am finding the waiting, and the not knowing of when I might get one, and what it will be like to be torture.  I miss having a dog so much, but all good things come with time, or so they say.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Hi from Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 07:14:17 PM »
welcome to COL - I'm sure the perfect cocker will find you very soon  ;) :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline BettyBoo

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 07:17:21 PM »
Welcome to COL :D Hope you don't have to wait too long for your doggie
Barbara, Betty & Millie x

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 07:23:21 PM »
Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm also from Edinburgh and have 2 cockers and 2 lurchers. If you ever spot a big yellow van covered in purple paws that'll be me! I'm a volunteer for several spaniel rescues so feel free to contact me if you would like to apply for our dogs. We tend to get more through the door than the breed club rescue.

Jo

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 07:24:22 PM »
Hiya, welcome to the forum. I'm out in Dalkeith. Have to say that my 2 cockers rule the house AND are barky  ph34r ph34r

Hope a suitable rescue cocker becomes available soon.

With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 07:24:53 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL :D  I also live in Edinburgh, on the other side of the city centre, and I have two working Cockers of which one is a rescue (the brown one in my avatar photo). I'm sure the right Cocker will find you before too long but the waiting can seem interminable! There are a fair few smaller Cocker/Spaniel rescues in this part of Scotland so you could try contacting them as well, they often have dogs looking for new homes. I take it it's a show type Cocker you're looking for?
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 07:32:31 PM »
Welcome to COL!  I live in West Lothian with my nine month old show cocker called Brodie :luv:.  I hope you don’t have to wait long for your dog :D

x In memory of Barney x

QuietScribe

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 08:12:30 PM »
Thank you all for your warm welcomes!

I had been hesitatant about asking other rescues about adopting, because I had already put my name on one list.  I suppose, thinking about that now, it is a little short sighted, as I may be waiting for ages on one list for a dog from that club to become available, while others are already needing homes and would be waiting unnecissarilly.

I miss having a quiet dog around that was just as happy running around in the park without being worried it might go for other dogs (our family cocker thought it was dog-God in that respect and demanded submission from even the largest, ugliest, most violent dogs around), while being content as a snuggle bug while in the house.  I have tried to think of the different scenarios and problems that might occur, and mostly the quiet temperment (because barky would go against my tenancy agreement), and joint problems (2 flights of stairs to my flat) being the most important to consider, though it will need to be able to be left alone for 2 hours at a time as I have appointments weekly I need to go to.

Iv read that show dogs tend to be the quieter temperment of the two types, so I guess it would be a show cocker I was looking for, though quietness can be in any dog depending.  If there was a quiet (vocal and energy) working cocker, or springer I would consider them. 

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 08:16:55 PM »
Most people contact a few rescues when looking so dont worry about that, its totally normal. Cockers on the whole (especially show types) arent the quietest of breeds to be honest.... all the ones I know (and thats quite a few!) are noisy little swines that drive you up the wall! Your best bet is a slightly older cocker who's background is well known and who has stayed in a foster home. That way you will know how noisy they are as well as if their personality will suit. Do you work from home?

Jo

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 08:20:20 PM »
A vocal working dog is a big no no, I've never met a really barky working Cocker but plenty of barky show types! A good working dog should be pretty much mute so if they're bred properly quietness should be one of the traits that is selected for. One of mine will bark at the doorbell and people approaching the house and the other one I think has barked about 5 times in his entire life :005:  Generally they are higher energy and more active than show types though and require a lot of physical and mental stimulation (as all dogs do to some degree or other, just with working bred dogs it tends to be a lot more). I agree with Jo that a slightly older dog who has been assessed in a foster home so character traits are known is probably your best bet.

QuietScribe

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 08:28:47 PM »
I have been trying my best to stay away from working breeds, (sooo difficult when I looked around one of the cat and dog homes and they look up at you with those big eyes, but you know.. know know know they will be monsters filled with energy when they get out lol).  My friend was like "you should get a collie!"  I looked at him like he was mad.  I am not the most energetic of people myself, so getting a super energetic dog would be a disaster, especially in a small flat like this.

Do you work from home?
No, I don't work at the moment for long term health reasons.  I am at home most of the time though, and any job I did get would be very part time, and if I am realistic, not likely to happen for at least 6 months.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 08:31:38 PM »
Not to put you off Cockers cos obviously I adore them but have you considered a rescue Greyhound? There are so many of them needing homes, they are really lovely dogs, are almost always quiet, are usually good to be left alone as they're used to it and they don't need huge amounts of exercise at all. They look big but curl up really small! I know of plenty of people who keep them in flats and small houses with no problems. I fostered a couple for Greyhound Rescue Scotland a while back and I loved them :luv:  It just seems like they could be the perfect dog for you!

QuietScribe

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 08:36:44 PM »
Not to put you off Cockers cos obviously I adore them but have you considered a rescue Greyhound? There are so many of them needing homes, they are really lovely dogs, are almost always quiet, are usually good to be left alone as they're used to it and they don't need huge amounts of exercise at all. They look big but curl up really small! I know of plenty of people who keep them in flats and small houses with no problems. I fostered a couple for Greyhound Rescue Scotland a while back and I loved them :luv:  It just seems like they could be the perfect dog for you!
I considered them, but not too seriously for two perhaps bad reasons:
1. Letting them off the lead can be dangerous, as their trigger for dashing after things like rabbits on instinct can be bad, especially in the hills at holyrood park where there are tons of them.
2.  They arnt really that cuddly.. all elbows and sharp corners.

Ok, I know that last one is a really bad excuse, Im just used to cuddly dogs, but I would like to have a dog I can let off the leash without worrying if itll bolt after something and not come back.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 08:54:17 PM »
Some are safe to let off lead, the good rescues like GRS, Greyhound Gap or Give A Greyhound A Home assess their dogs before rehoming them so they may have dogs which are 'small furry friendly'. It could be worth asking them what they think if it is something you would consider.

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 09:07:55 PM »
My show cocker is far more likely to bog off than my lurcher! I know plenty greyhounds with fab recalll and litlle hunt drive... its a bit of a misconception that they are all like that.

In terms of energy most show cockers will need at least 2 half hour walks a day so they are still a 'working' type breed in sme ways.