Author Topic: Casting....  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Huggy Bear

Casting....
« on: January 27, 2009, 02:16:41 PM »
Just a wee question, when does a puppy start to shed it's pupy coat? It's just that the last few weeks Huggy has been casting an awful lot, I mean I'm hoovering every day!!! Even when your petting him there are lots of loose hairs come out. I try and brush him every 2nd day so it can't be due to lack of grooming!! Anyway, hope to have a reply soon! Thanks.  :D

Offline Han

• Darling Darcey
Re: Casting....
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 02:20:51 PM »
Darcey is exactly like this at the mo, doggy hairs everywhere!! She's just over 6 months.

Offline Huggy Bear

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 03:05:48 PM »
Oh yeah forgot to day he is 8 months old!!   ph34r

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 10:56:43 PM »
Mine's 8 months old and he's only just blown. Starting to strip now.

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 12:17:04 PM »
Jazmin  :luv: is 8 months and our carpet looks filthy with black hairs everywhere.  ph34r  I brush her twice daily and have stripped out her puppy coat on top, but it is underneath she is losing it most, can't wait until it's all out.   >:(

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Huggy Bear

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 03:53:23 PM »
Well I bought a Fur Buster the other day and it works really well, it removed a lot more fluff that his normal brush!! So gonna start doing that more regularly and see if I notice a difference! Anyone else on here tried the Fur Buster by Bamboo????  :D

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 04:24:40 PM »
I've used the furbuster on Misha, and it really helped get her fluffy puppy coat out.  She doesn't seem to mind it, but Roly hates it.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 06:15:04 PM »
The first time I used the Coat King on Coco I got loads of fluff out and since then she has never been as bad so I guess it is just the puppy coat coming out.  Not tried a Furbuster but the Coat King did a great job  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline Huggy Bear

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 08:39:35 AM »
Yeah I think it must be his puppy coat too, while grooming him yesterday I notices a few darker streaks of red thought his coat, it felt a wee bit coarser, would this be his adult coat coming through??? Oh and we took him for a long walk yesteday, and he got lots of heather twigs an branches stuck in his coat!! Took me ages to pick it all out and there were a few bit I had to cut out!  I think I am seriously gonna have to look into getting him trimmed a bit more than what I have been doing!!  :'(

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 11:13:25 AM »
It is likely that Huggy will be ready for stripping so what you do depends on your long term plans.  If you want to keep full coat then you do need to keep stripping out (if the coat is ready for hand stripping it could be worth a visit to a professional groomer as I think on average it is about 8-9 hours work).  We chose to have Harvey clipped as we knew we were going to be neuturing him but have found he does matt a lot quicker now and really have to stay on top of his grooming.

Another good way of getting the dead coat out is to put a rubber band through a comb (this is on the grooming tips) - take care with the coat king as this does cut the ends of the fur and can leave streaks if not used in the right way.