Author Topic: Advice needed without a lecture!  (Read 11447 times)

Offline Saffi

Re: Advice needed without a lecture!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 09:53:50 PM »
agree with country girl - what are they intending to administer?  At the stage they are suggesting that would be abortion.

I've heard of ECP being used but that is within 72 hours of the tie taking place....

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/estradiol-ecp/page1.aspx

...the possible side effects are listed there  :-\

This is what we thought she should have, but will have to speak to the vet again. We are still withn the 72 hours on Monday, should there be such a pill in Sweden.

Thanks

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 10:05:02 PM »
Hi Saffi - yes the mis-mate pill I was thinking of should be given within 72 hours but there are others that can be used as your vet has suggested (as countrygirl has mentioned at this stage there the puppies will be formed so this will be termination as I'm sure you're aware of)

here's some more info  :-\

http://www.journals.elsevierhealth.com/periodicals/ysvms/article/PIIS1096286702800226/abstract#cor1

There are severe side effects these drugs can have on your dog and puppies that don't get aborted so I would try and get a second opinion or some more information from your vet - if you can speak to your vet on Monday morning please get them to explain EVERYTHING involved with terminating or continuing with her pregnancy and then you can make your decision.

The other option is to have her spayed immediately.

Good luck  ;)

helen & jarvis x

Offline Saffi

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 10:05:33 PM »
Saffi, I have no advice for you but I sense from your posts that you are really shocked and upset about what has happened. I hope you manage to sort things out without any further upset.

Yes I am and it has taken me all day to ask for advice on here. Thank you to all the repsonses. Has this not happened to anyone else?

Offline Saffi

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 10:13:11 PM »
Hi Saffi - yes the mis-mate pill I was thinking of should be given within 72 hours but there are others that can be used as your vet has suggested (as countrygirl has mentioned at this stage there the puppies will be formed so this will be termination as I'm sure you're aware of)

here's some more info  :-\

http://www.journals.elsevierhealth.com/periodicals/ysvms/article/PIIS1096286702800226/abstract#cor1

There are severe side effects these drugs can have on your dog and puppies that don't get aborted so I would try and get a second opinion or some more information from your vet - if you can speak to your vet on Monday morning please get them to explain
EVERYTHING involved with terminating or continuing with her pregnancy and then you can make your decision.

The other option is to have her spayed immediately.

Good luck  ;)

Thanks for the link, Monday couldn't come soon enough!

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 10:35:40 PM »
Deepest sympathy for you, my castrated dog tied with our bitch during her season.  It was a nightmare keeping an eye on them both all the time and happens soo quickly but can cause more damage to both dogs trying to separate them.  I naively thought as the boys were castrated I wouldn't have a problem but we plan to make sure my mum's house and garden are secure and then next season, Heidi will be going on her hols for a couple of weeks...

Can't advise on pregnancy v. pill but hope you can sort something out.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Saffi

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 10:47:15 PM »
Deepest sympathy for you, my castrated dog tied with our bitch during her season.  It was a nightmare keeping an eye on them both all the time and happens soo quickly but can cause more damage to both dogs trying to separate them.  I naively thought as the boys were castrated I wouldn't have a problem but we plan to make sure my mum's house and garden are secure and then next season, Heidi will be going on her hols for a couple of weeks...

Can't advise on pregnancy v. pill but hope you can sort something out.

Thanks, I suppose I am naive as I thought I had no worries with my castrated springer. He hasn't paid her so much attention, just Tyla:-( I am not sure where I could send Saffi for her hols, as both my SIL have dogs and my MIL is ill. All my friends either have dogs or are not dog people, so I suppose it will have to be kennels.

I will keep everyone posted after my calls on Monday.

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 10:49:50 PM »
I really feel for you, and hope you get some answers soon.

I have no knowledge on this subject, but finding it very interesting and I'm sure your not the first and wont be the last.

Big hugs to you and the dogs, take care and don't get too stressed.

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 10:53:28 PM »
Try not to worry too much, wait until you have all the information and the options available to you on Monday.  You know your dog and I'm sure you will make the decision that is best for your girl.

Eve

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 10:57:09 PM »
I think it's unlikely the Swedish KC would register a litter to your girl as the SKK is often held up as an example of how kennel clubs should operate re compulsory health testing etc. If Saffi did turn out to be pregnant (and a 40 min tie is actually no guarantee that she will be pregnant as bitches can tie for an hour and still not be pregnant, speaking from experience there!) and her litter couldn't be registered, you'd have to investigate how easy it is to find good homes for non-registered pups from non-health tested parents in Sweden. You'd also have to balance the risks of her having a litter (no pregnancy or whelping is ever risk free) against the risks of the mismating injection. Not an easy decision but hopefully more info from your vet will help you clarify your options and make the best choice for your girl.
Jane

Offline Saffi

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 11:01:03 PM »
Thank you to everyone who has replied. I am a bit calmer after having shared the incident with everyone (sort of didn't want to tell anyone, but can't ignore the situation).

I feel sorry for Tyla also as he is very stressed (ie. wants to mate with her) and she is encouraging him:-(

Well off to try to get some sleep, haven't had much all week due to Tyla howling through the night at the door. Tonight, Saffi, hubby and I are all going to sneak off to another part of the house (where hopefully we can't hear him) and hopefully get a good nights sleep.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 11:07:07 PM »
No info from me about the after pill etc - just abit on my experience with an entire dog and an in season female

We had everything covered for when the time came - either kennels for the dog or breeders for the female. (breeder has no entire males)
What we didn't bank on was breeder being away on hol and the kennels being booked as it was over New year

We only had two days that we had to deal with as the kennels had space after then - I stayed in one room with the female and OH stayed in the another room with the dog - if we needed to get out of our stated room (toilet breaks for us ot the dogs etc) then we would use an intercom on the phone or use our mobile phones to tell the other we we going out of our room and we would let them know when we were back in

Yes it was a night mare but it worked as I never saw OH for two days even tho we were in the same house

I was immensly grateful when the dog could go to the kennels as it was a stressful 2 days.

I wish you all the luck in whatever you decide to do and I would strongly recommend that next time you put the dog in kennels or to family or friends and keep hold on the female in season yourself as that imo is the only way you can guarentee another dog does not get near her

edited to add - my female was a cocker and my male was a lab - my female was spayed after her first season

Offline Saffi

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2009, 11:09:46 PM »
I think it's unlikely the Swedish KC would register a litter to your girl as the SKK is often held up as an example of how kennel clubs should operate re compulsory health testing etc. If Saffi did turn out to be pregnant (and a 40 min tie is actually no guarantee that she will be pregnant as bitches can tie for an hour and still not be pregnant, speaking from experience there!) and her litter couldn't be registered, you'd have to investigate how easy it is to find good homes for non-registered pups from non-health tested parents in Sweden. You'd also have to balance the risks of her having a litter (no pregnancy or whelping is ever risk free) against the risks of the mismating injection. Not an easy decision but hopefully more info from your vet will help you clarify your options and make the best choice for your girl.

Just saw this! Thank you Jane, I was hoping you would respond. I very much doubt them being registered (should she have puppies at this stage) and I think it would be tough finding good homes but not impossible (from what I have seen). It is the risks in either situation that I am concerned about. She is still our baby and is such a wonderful dog in all ways and I don't want any of that to change!

Have you heard of many situations like this? and if so what were the outcomes? I know every dog is different but just curious as how others have coped etc..

Offline Saffi

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 11:17:26 PM »
No info from me about the after pill etc - just abit on my experience with an entire dog and an in season female

We had everything covered for when the time came - either kennels for the dog or breeders for the female. (breeder has no entire males)
What we didn't bank on was breeder being away on hol and the kennels being booked as it was over New year

We only had two days that we had to deal with as the kennels had space after then - I stayed in one room with the female and OH stayed in the another room with the dog - if we needed to get out of our stated room (toilet breaks for us ot the dogs etc) then we would use an intercom on the phone or use our mobile phones to tell the other we we going out of our room and we would let them know when we were back in

Yes it was a night mare but it worked as I never saw OH for two days even tho we were in the same house

I was immensly grateful when the dog could go to the kennels as it was a stressful 2 days.

I wish you all the luck in whatever you decide to do and I would strongly recommend that next time you put the dog in kennels or to family or friends and keep hold on the female in season yourself as that imo is the only way you can guarentee another dog does not get near her

edited to add - my female was a cocker and my male was a lab - my female was spayed after her first season

Just had to reply to this, as I have been wanting people's own experiences. This is sort of exactly what we are doing. My husband is in his study with Saffi (most of the time) and Tyla is with me, wherever I am (apart from when I am at work). During the night Saffi is in our bedroom. Should we need a shower or toilet, then Saffi goes with us. She is kept on the lead when outside.

I will be sending Tyla somewhere during her next season!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 11:39:02 PM »
From everything I have read, the lesser of the two evils would be to let her have the litter and try to be as responsible about placing them as possible. The mismate injection carries huge risks to the bitch, and the puppies--it doesn't always work and can result in very deformed puppies.

Best of luck, hope she's not pregnant  :blink:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline smartietopdog

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2009, 07:25:55 AM »
I know this probably isn't the "done" thing to say here, and the majority of people do take the KC thing very seriously, BUT, I would let her have the puppies too (if there is some) there are always loving responsible dog owners out there, who would happily home a non-registered pedigree dog. Some people do just want them as pets, and not to work or breed.
I use a baby gate to keep my dog and bitch apart, and so far, in 3 seasons, there has never been an "incident".
Good luck whatever you decide x