Author Topic: Advice needed without a lecture!  (Read 11448 times)

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Re: Advice needed without a lecture!
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2009, 07:33:25 AM »
This happened to us when I was living at home so it was a long time ago. We went to the vets the morning after and she was giving the morning after pill (I wasn't there but I think it was an injection tbh).
This stopped any pregnancy in it's tracks but the side effect was her season lasted twice as long as she bled for 6 weeks in total.

Personally I'd give the morning after pill, my dog had no lasting effects and thankfully no pups. We never intended to breed in the first place and in all honesty we'll never know if anything actually took place just knew they had been outside together for at least 3 hrs together.
I would spare your girl the problems of giving birth as her body is too young and whatever side effects she may get from the pill will far out weigh your problems if she cannot cope with a litter because she is too young, believe me hand rearing a large young litter from day one is no picnic.

I also know of a local man who's dogs accidentally got together in her season and he thought he could stop the pregnancy if he dunked her in cold water immediately after the incident, but 9 weeks later she had 8 pups.

Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2009, 07:37:37 AM »
Thankfully this didn't happen when Misha was in season - I just made sure that they were never left alone together - but it also depends on how determined your dog is. Roly's a bit of baby and won't do anything if you tell him "no"
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2009, 07:56:08 AM »
I have one entire male and 3 girls and this is how we deal with seasons.
I have a girl in season every 3 mths and it is a bit of a juggle.
I don't send anyone away but we do set up a crate in the kitchen and we have either our boy or our girl in the crate. We alternate them so that every hour or two one is in. The other is usually in a different room so that they can't see each other. If my children then forget to keep them separate they still can't get to each other. My girls are rude and will try their best to push there botties to the sides of the crate for Logan to lick and thats whether they are in the crate or not. Logan is fine apart from about a 4 day period in the middle where they peak and in this time he'll howl, refuse food, pace and even go for the other girls if they get in the way of him and the one in season.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2009, 08:48:04 AM »
No advice but what a nightmare for you.  It sounds really stressful - makes me sooo glad Coco has been speyed  :-\  I think if it was me I would try to avoid having the pups if at all possible - as has been said although the after pill carries risks, so does having pups  :-\

Fingers crossed she isn't pregnant but I am sure you will do what is best for your girl.  :D

Good luck whatever you decide  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2009, 09:17:02 AM »
I know this probably isn't the "done" thing to say here, and the majority of people do take the KC thing very seriously, BUT, I would let her have the puppies too (if there is some) there are always loving responsible dog owners out there, who would happily home a non-registered pedigree dog. Some people do just want them as pets, and not to work or breed.

As I understand it, the situation in Sweden is somewhat different than it is over here. In the UK, vast numbers of pups are bred by commercial breeders/BYBs and may or may not be registered. In Sweden, breeding is more "regulated" and most breeders will register their pups with the SKK and the public have been educated to expect this.

I don't think anyone can really say one option is better than the other - there are risks whatever Saffi decides to do. On another forum I visit, there is a breeder who is currently hand rearing a litter of 9 pups after the Mum died after giving birth. This is admittedly rare but it happens and anyone thinking of having a litter needs to be aware that whelpings can and do go wrong.

Jane

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2009, 09:26:47 AM »
I don't really know anything about it but I would be inclined to check their pedigrees etc. You say you were planning to breed her eventualky so I don't knw if this was by putting her to your male and have this all sorted already but it's just something else to consider.

Sorry you are having all of this to deal with. I think it's very common but usually more so among people who aren't vigilant (not saying this is you) because they don't mind the risk and think a litter would be a happy accident.  :-\

A friend of ours lab bitch got caught when she was a year old (not sure who the daddy was but was not a lab) and she had the morning after injection. The side effects were more unfortunate than dangerous, i.e. made her feel sorry for herself, extended season etc but in all it didn't 'harm' her.
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Saffi

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2009, 10:36:39 AM »
From everything I have read, the lesser of the two evils would be to let her have the litter and try to be as responsible about placing them as possible. The mismate injection carries huge risks to the bitch, and the puppies--it doesn't always work and can result in very deformed puppies.

Best of luck, hope she's not pregnant  :blink:

This is what scares me! and the fact the vet isn't recommending this, make me question it. Although I will query this with my vet tomorrow.

The thought of her having them also scares me at this moment in time!

Offline Saffi

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2009, 10:45:56 AM »
I know this probably isn't the "done" thing to say here, and the majority of people do take the KC thing very seriously, BUT, I would let her have the puppies too (if there is some) there are always loving responsible dog owners out there, who would happily home a non-registered pedigree dog. Some people do just want them as pets, and not to work or breed.
I use a baby gate to keep my dog and bitch apart, and so far, in 3 seasons, there has never been an "incident".
Good luck whatever you decide x

I am with you on this one, as they cost a lot more here (ca. 750 pounds ) for a reg. pedigree. A lot of people I know (who have cross breeds) just wanted a family dog but simply didn't have that kind of money. Non pedigree (but in my case they would be, just not reg.) go for ca. 350 pounds still. So people don't just have dogs and give them away here...very different from the UK. Obv. trying to find suitable owners is a challenge no matter how the situation is!

We also have gates, it was just my husband had them all out together on leads and then as they were coming in, he let him off the lead and they ran upstairs to the section of the house where we live and I was there, brushing my teeth, and he was just so quick. I can say it hasn't happened again! Last night we tried sleeping in another part of the house but it ended up that my husband slept in a room with Tyla and myself with Saffi. I can say that the females slept and the males didn't.

Offline Saffi

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2009, 10:48:16 AM »
This happened to us when I was living at home so it was a long time ago. We went to the vets the morning after and she was giving the morning after pill (I wasn't there but I think it was an injection tbh).
This stopped any pregnancy in it's tracks but the side effect was her season lasted twice as long as she bled for 6 weeks in total.

Personally I'd give the morning after pill, my dog had no lasting effects and thankfully no pups. We never intended to breed in the first place and in all honesty we'll never know if anything actually took place just knew they had been outside together for at least 3 hrs together.
I would spare your girl the problems of giving birth as her body is too young and whatever side effects she may get from the pill will far out weigh your problems if she cannot cope with a litter because she is too young, believe me hand rearing a large young litter from day one is no picnic.

I also know of a local man who's dogs accidentally got together in her season and he thought he could stop the pregnancy if he dunked her in cold water immediately after the incident, but 9 weeks later she had 8 pups.

Thanks for your experience. I think dunking in cold water sounds like an old wives tale!

Offline Saffi

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2009, 10:50:05 AM »
Thankfully this didn't happen when Misha was in season - I just made sure that they were never left alone together - but it also depends on how determined your dog is. Roly's a bit of baby and won't do anything if you tell him "no"

Tyla has been VERY determined (more than I was expecting)! and Saffi has also been VERY keen:-( Tyla stops doing things when we say NO, but now he just isn't listening to anything really and he isn't interested in eating or sleeping etc..

Offline Saffi

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2009, 10:54:03 AM »
I have one entire male and 3 girls and this is how we deal with seasons.
I have a girl in season every 3 mths and it is a bit of a juggle.
I don't send anyone away but we do set up a crate in the kitchen and we have either our boy or our girl in the crate. We alternate them so that every hour or two one is in. The other is usually in a different room so that they can't see each other. If my children then forget to keep them separate they still can't get to each other. My girls are rude and will try their best to push there botties to the sides of the crate for Logan to lick and thats whether they are in the crate or not. Logan is fine apart from about a 4 day period in the middle where they peak and in this time he'll howl, refuse food, pace and even go for the other girls if they get in the way of him and the one in season.

This is sort of similar to how we have been dealing with it (however not with a crate, as we haven't used that since Saffi was a puppy), but in different rooms, one with me and the other with OH, then we switch as they get tired of being in the same place with the same person.

I think we must be in that 4 day period now as Tyla is doing all those things that you say. He normally sleeps a lot and loves his food, treats etc...(not at the moment). Not sure how much more my OH can take not having much sleep. I am away all day working next week, so he will have to cope on his own until I get home. Perhaps we should bring out the crate!

Offline Saffi

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2009, 10:58:58 AM »
No advice but what a nightmare for you.  It sounds really stressful - makes me sooo glad Coco has been speyed  :-\  I think if it was me I would try to avoid having the pups if at all possible - as has been said although the after pill carries risks, so does having pups  :-\

Fingers crossed she isn't pregnant but I am sure you will do what is best for your girl.  :D

Good luck whatever you decide  ;)

Her having pups right now is everything we were planning NOT to do and that is partially why I was so angry and upset with myself! I also can't stand the thought of anything happening to her (or pups) if it were to go that way, but I know there are always risks etc..
That is why I will go with the advice from the vet as they should know what is right (you would think). Just thought there had to be people with experience on this forum.

Shame there wasn't some sort of pregnancy test kit which we could use. Can a vet not take a blood sample to find out? If she isn't pregnant then we would spare all the anguish with the pill etc..

Offline Saffi

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2009, 11:04:56 AM »

As I understand it, the situation in Sweden is somewhat different than it is over here. In the UK, vast numbers of pups are bred by commercial breeders/BYBs and may or may not be registered. In Sweden, breeding is more "regulated" and most breeders will register their pups with the SKK and the public have been educated to expect this.

I don't think anyone can really say one option is better than the other - there are risks whatever Saffi decides to do. On another forum I visit, there is a breeder who is currently hand rearing a litter of 9 pups after the Mum died after giving birth. This is admittedly rare but it happens and anyone thinking of having a litter needs to be aware that whelpings can and do go wrong.

Yes it is very regulated and people pay a lot of money for reg. pedigrees etc...but there are those people that just want a family pet and who don't have the 750 pounds to pay for a pup.

It will be interesting as to what the SKK have to say as I would expect them to say to stop the pregnancy etc..where as the vet should give me all the info with the risks etc...

How awful to lose the mother and have to hand rear the pups. Of course I need to make the decission that is best for Saffi, but as you say either way it is difficult. 

Offline Saffi

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2009, 11:14:54 AM »
I don't really know anything about it but I would be inclined to check their pedigrees etc. You say you were planning to breed her eventualky so I don't knw if this was by putting her to your male and have this all sorted already but it's just something else to consider.

I am not sure what you meant by this! Yes, I do (did) plan on breeding from her. I was waiting for the checks to be done closer to the time as they are valid for only one year from what I understand. As for using Tyla, I was always checking to see how he reacted to her during the 2 years. So it wasn't always definite that I was using him. Of course they are from 2 different lines etc...I should have had the tests done for Tyla before now (just haven't got around to it, as he is a family dog).

Sorry you are having all of this to deal with. I think it's very common but usually more so among people who aren't vigilant (not saying this is you) because they don't mind the risk and think a litter would be a happy accident.  :-\

Well I think from my posts you can see I am far from thinking this was a happy accident:-( But I know what you are saying about other people.

A friend of ours lab bitch got caught when she was a year old (not sure who the daddy was but was not a lab) and she had the morning after injection. The side effects were more unfortunate than dangerous, i.e. made her feel sorry for herself, extended season etc but in all it didn't 'harm' her.

I suppose we are slightly lucky in the way that it wasn't a different dog and at least we know both dogs history etc...still not acceptable I know! I don't like the thought of an extended season, but that is better than anything else I suppose.

Offline Saffi

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2009, 11:21:06 AM »
Thank you to all that have replied and for having shared their experiences as well as sparing me with the lectures. I felt I had to reply to each post, but once I update tomorrow (after having been in touch with the vet, skk and vets about tests), then I will be unable to reply to all, due to obv. having dogs:-) a job and a life:-) It has helped reading all  the advice etc..and I have calmed down a lot etc..Round 2 tomorrow (in terms of making decisions). Thanks once again! Perhaps other posts can get a look in now:-) sorry to others!