Author Topic: How to remove a tick  (Read 54409 times)

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
Re: How to remove a tick
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2009, 05:52:06 PM »
My o tom arrived this morning just incase we come across any  :D

Just one more question , if we Frontline are pets on a regular basis , will this not kill them anyway??

Frontline kills the ticks once they attach (Within a 24 hour time frame) - you usually find them before they die and or some stay attached when dead anyway so still need to be removed.

Thankyou  :D

Ive been lucky so far though not found any on him or the cat  :D

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2009, 05:54:18 PM »
My o tom arrived this morning just incase we come across any  :D

Just one more question , if we Frontline are pets on a regular basis , will this not kill them anyway??

Frontline kills the ticks once they attach (Within a 24 hour time frame) - you usually find them before they die and or some stay attached when dead anyway so still need to be removed.

Thankyou  :D

Ive been lucky so far though not found any on him or the cat  :D

after the first one or 2 (and the o-tom being so easy) you get used to them...honest  ph34r :shades: ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2009, 06:36:09 PM »

The advise from my vet to remove a tick, Dylan has had a couple, was to open a frontline and put it on the tick it will kill it and it just drops off. He doesn't like the tick removers because if you don't get the legs out, it can set up an infection.

I think that's rubbish advice - I get out an average of 3 ticks a day at the moment with an o-tom and have NEVER left the head or legs behind with it - it is virtually impossible because you get in under the head and twist the tick and it physically cannot stay attached.

Along with flooding your dog with unecessary chemicals (which if you research them can cause untold long term health issues) that is a very expensive way of killing a tick  ph34r

Agree with Helen - sounds like he has shares in Frontline  :shades: :005:  I prefer not to use Frontline and unless Coco becomes infested with fleas (has never happened yet  ;) ), will continue not to use anything unless it is needed.  There is no need for her to be rountinely subjected to chemicals to prevent something that may not even happen.  As Helen says, the tick needs to be removed whatever so it is better just to get used to it - I really don't find it any problem at all anyway and I really cannot understand why so many people are so squeamish about them  :dunno:
Julie and Watson

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2009, 08:18:46 PM »
I really don't find it any problem at all anyway and I really cannot understand why so many people are so squeamish about them  :dunno:

Cus they is ugglllly  ph34r  :005:  :005:

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2009, 10:17:29 PM »
I really don't find it any problem at all anyway and I really cannot understand why so many people are so squeamish about them  :dunno:

Cus they is ugglllly  ph34r  :005:  :005:

No one's asking you to go on a date with one though :shades: :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2009, 10:33:04 PM »

Good job really as i would have to decline  ;)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »

But it might have a great personality!!  :shades: :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2009, 10:38:42 PM »

But it might have a great personality!!  :shades: :005:

That's as maybe but put one foot wrong and you get a real ticking off!!  ::) :005:

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2009, 04:21:45 PM »
i havent ever had a tick on either Jessie and Saffi.....i have an otom tho but I would ring my dad and ask him to help....i wouldnt be able to deal with it...i cant do spiders or dady long legs lol

Offline Lilly's Mum

• Lilly and Harvey
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2009, 09:23:15 PM »
well call me a sissy, but the thought of having to deal with something that bury's its head and front feet into your flesh and quadrouples its size by filling up on your blood, makes me feel a little ill!! :005: :005:

Offline jcmum

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2009, 09:32:13 PM »
they are gross but just watched the video, i'll be off to get an O Tom tomorrow - hoping to never need it!! 

Offline bondie

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2009, 01:00:52 PM »
Just a thought - my previous cocker always had garlic pearls - we called them his sweeties - to help with heart problems, but he NEVER got ticks or fleas. Have since learned that garlic is a natural method of keeping these nasties away,( not just vampires!) My new boy managed to find a couple of ticks,( oh yes, they are yukkie!)  so he's onto the galic capsules too - loves 'em!!

Offline JackieD

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2009, 04:05:02 PM »
Ewwwww just watched the video, one of those things you don't Want to do but realise it is a must for the good of your pet.
Thankfully Maddy has never had one either, however she is also on a garlic capsule a day and is Frontlined regularly

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2009, 05:29:48 PM »
I was reading a thread about tics the other day, and commented that I had never seen one on my dogs yet..............but, how would I recognise one??

Well, I found out.  There is this little reddish thing on under Luis' fur, and I am sure it's a tic.  Roger has just went to buy an O'Tom tick, but can't get hold of one.  Smothered the tick in vaseline....and am hoping that will kill it.

No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2009, 06:34:29 PM »
  Smothered the tick in vaseline....and am hoping that will kill it.

You shouldn't do this, try to touch ticks as little as possible and don't put anything on them - vaseline, alcohol etc. - as this will cause discomfort and encourage them to regurgitate all the nasties in their stomachs (including possibly lyme disease) back into the dog. If you don't have an o-tom a sharp pair of tweezers is your best bet, stretch out the skin and be careful to grasp the tick at the head, just where it goes into the dog and twist it out cleanly. Don't grab the body with the tweezers or again it'll regurgitate. This is a good website which explains the dos and don'ts of ticks (scroll down the page)... http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/ticks.htm
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/