Author Topic: Houston we have a Problem  (Read 743 times)

Offline J

• Donator
  • Pass me another bottle of red dear
Houston we have a Problem
« on: September 17, 2009, 08:26:41 AM »
 >:D
Help and advice sought please.
Bayliss, 2 1/2 yr old, Male, worker, walked around 8 miles per day, entire, generally chilled around the house with everyone.

Desmo, Male, worker (different breeder), 9 weeks, home bound  ph34r

Week 1, Bayliss snaps at pup at feeding time- understandable, it`s his bowl and food.
            A few more instances of growling, grumbling and not much to worry about, it is week 1 afterall.

Week 2, Bayliss has him pinned to the floor, loads of noise, pup yelping his head off. Didn't see what pup was doing to be told off by Bayliss.

Both dogs under the table (when I`m out BTW) and Bayliss goes beserk on the pup to the point Sarah was screamingy at Bayliss to get off the pup. He wasn't for letting go.

I always join in when they are playing, telling Bayliss `good boy` when they are play fighting, and telling desmo` gentle` when he is getting OTT with Bayliss. The odd grumble from Bayliss every now and then which is OK in my world, lines need to be drawn between them.
We all try to spend as much time as we can with them together  and apart and if anything, Bayliss has had even more attention than he did before Desmo`s arrival.
Bayliss has got a lot less aggressive with his bones and toys but this morning he went for him in a big way to the point I had to get involved by seperating them,, the pup is OK although very scared and still whimpering 10 minutes after.As I went and sat next to Bayliss in his bed, he then started to give voice to me, luckily I am not intimidated by him that much, where Sarah on the other hand would have number 2`d herself.
Sarah is at the point now where she doesn't trust Bayliss and the pup together without watching them both like a hawk which I understand. Is this likely to continue until pup is big enough to fight back or is Bayliss now going become an aggressive top dog? I so want them to get on later in life as that was the whole reason for getting another dog.
In advance, many thanks

J
Caution,  may contain nuts!!!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Houston we have a Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:20:32 AM »
ok - I think you need to get re-think this 'top dog' alpha pack theory - Bayliss needs his space when Desmo stresses him out, you need to separate them and not have items that you think they can 'share' which can potentially spark off a fight (ie bones/chews etc).

Bayliss is trying to warn you that the behaviour of Desmo and you and your wife is making him unhappy by barking and growling.  DO NOT stem this behaviour otherwise that will result in a dog NOT giving a warning before a bite.

LEAVE HIM ALONE when he's stressed - don't crowd him or try and prove you're the 'top dog' cos this will only cause you further problems.  He's NOT trying to intimidate you - that is what you're doing to him when you sit with him when he clearly is stressed and wants to be alone. He's telling you that he's not happy and to stop the behaviour that is making him fearful in the clearest way he can.

If he has a crate then let him go to it and leave him be - same with the basket.

I have no idea if he will accept Desmo - this takes time and careful management -  that he's giving him really strong telling offs tells me that he's just fed up with the pup, and hopefully the pup will start to respect that.  Hopefully Desmo will learn his boundaries soon.

You can alleviate some of the stress by letting Bayliss have his space by himself with his bones/chews and trying to eliminate any triggers.
helen & jarvis x

Offline J

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 09:32:25 AM »
Ok that all makes perfect sense thank you.

Bayliss does frequenly take himself offto bed for quiet time or just jumps up on a sofa out of reach of the pup.
We tried buying them their `own` toys to plat with but Bayliss keeps knicking them and hiding them in his bed :005: and pup is more than happy playing with empty bottle of lemonade cause it makes loads of noise :lol2:

Many thanks for your advice,, I`m going to print it off and plaster it around the house for reference :005:
A steeper learning curve than initially expected :005:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 09:33:53 AM »
Ok that all makes perfect sense thank you.

Bayliss does frequenly take himself offto bed for quiet time or just jumps up on a sofa out of reach of the pup.
We tried buying them their `own` toys to plat with but Bayliss keeps knicking them and hiding them in his bed :005: and pup is more than happy playing with empty bottle of lemonade cause it makes loads of noise :lol2:

Many thanks for your advice,, I`m going to print it off and plaster it around the house for reference :005:
A steeper learning curve than initially expected :005:

I'm sure they will get used to each other - it's a steep learning curve for Bayliss in particular  :lol2:
helen & jarvis x

Offline J

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 09:38:25 AM »
I`m hoping they will also form more of a bond once wee man get get out for a walk? He is officially allowed out a week on monday so we`ll see what new challenges that brings :D

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 10:44:43 AM »
I`m hoping they will also form more of a bond once wee man get get out for a walk? He is officially allowed out a week on monday so we`ll see what new challenges that brings :D

you could well be right - and Desmo will be able to expend some energy on his walks and may well be a little more exhausted and less exuberant in the house  :lol2:
helen & jarvis x

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 09:40:15 PM »
Oh dear J what a shame, looks like you have been given some top advice but what a worry.
I really hope things will improve once they can start walking together. Good luck
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!