Author Topic: Back Yard Breeders  (Read 11232 times)

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
Re: Back Yard Breeders
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2009, 05:00:51 PM »
So which are the breed clubs that need to approach the KC? I, for one would contact them to find out what they are doing about it as there must be plenty of people out there like me who assume KC accredited breeder means something useful when it doesn't really. Freddie's breeder had 8 pups in the litter, she kept one female for herself and, as far as I know had sold 6 of the remaining 7 when we collected Freddie. People are relying on the KC, things need to change.
Paula & Freddie x

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2009, 05:10:26 PM »
So which are the breed clubs that need to approach the KC? I, for one would contact them to find out what they are doing about it as there must be plenty of people out there like me who assume KC accredited breeder means something useful when it doesn't really. Freddie's breeder had 8 pups in the litter, she kept one female for herself and, as far as I know had sold 6 of the remaining 7 when we collected Freddie. People are relying on the KC, things need to change.

http://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/breedclubs.htm
Jane

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2009, 05:14:54 PM »
I haven't read all the posts but find this all very interesting. I went to a KC accredited breeder to get Freddie but it was only when I happened to get an enquiry from a COL member about where I got him from that I found out accredited breeder status is really a bit of a nonsense. Having talked to an accredited breeder advisor at the KC, I was told that to be an accredited breeder, the breeder only has to perform the BVA eye tests, there is no compulsion for the Optigen DNA test to be done or the FN test, it is just recommended. The KC also told me it is up to the Breed Club to approach the KC to change things, ie make Optigen and FN tests compulsory for accredited breeders. This rather astounded me I have to say - surely the Breed Club should be the ones who are most interested in keeping the breed free of these identifiable conditions?
I was a complete novice to dog owning and did most of my research with the Kennel Club thinking this would be the best way to find a reputable breeder. Having read a lot on COL since joining, I have to say I don't think the breeder we went to has a long term interest in the breed yet the KC club consider her worthy of accredited status.  :huh:

I believe that an 'Accredited Breeder'  ::) has to pay the KC an annual fee for the 'priviledge' to become one.  In my own humble opinion that says a lot.  >:(  Unless the PRA/FN tests are carried out,  how on earth can this supposedly be better than a non AB that does carry out health testing  :huh: ::)

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2009, 05:19:19 PM »

I believe that an 'Accredited Breeder'  ::) has to pay the KC an annual fee for the 'priviledge' to become one.  In my own humble opinion that says a lot.  >:(  Unless the PRA/FN tests are carried out,  how on earth can this supposedly be better than a non AB that does carry out health testing  :huh: ::)

My point exactly. I am going to write to the Cocker Spaniel Club
Paula & Freddie x

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2010, 12:24:44 PM »
Out of curiosity, does listing breeders on the Cocker Spaniel Club website count as "advertising"?

There is no breeders listing on the Cocker Spaniel Club website - I run it and would know if there was (it's been discussed and rejected as a bad idea)

There are quite a few on The Scottish site, they obviously are very different from the one you run. ;) I found Duggie on that site, and thought I was doing the right thing in choosing a breeder from there.

I was thinking about this thread yesterday morning when a young dog was rushed into my work in a bad way, due to being mated only 3 months after having a litter - the "breeders" certainly won't be making any money this time if their vet bills are anything to go by... :-\
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2010, 07:37:37 PM »
I have been following this thread with interest and I think it is a little naive to be gathering all breeders under the same heading here and saying the Accredited Breeder Scheme is nonsense. There are things that could certainly improve the scheme and I for one have left the scheme and returned but that is a separate issue. The point I am trying to make is there is a grand scale of breeders out there and it is the responsibility of the person searching for a puppy to do their research before choosing a breeder...DNA tests are certainly important (and maybe even the most important) but certainly not the only thing to check for  ;) There are several breeders breeding from PRA and FN clear parents and selling their puppies at an enhanced price without having had the BVA eye test done  ::) now finding a stud dog with current BVA eye test including Gonioscopy is another thing!!!  :lol2:

The other point I wish to make is that there are far worst places to look for a puppy than a breed club website  ;) My initial thoughts being that all members have to have been fully paid up members for 2 years prior to listing their litter so not just "anyone" can add their litter and I am sure I am not wrong in saying that the breed club will have their own code of ethics to which these breeders must adhere. Nothing is fool proof but I would always recommend people contact their breed club when searching for a puppy.

Can I also say I don't think the list of breeders on the Scottish site is updated as regularly as it could be at the moment which is why the same breeders seem to appear on there, not because they are producing litter after litter of puppies  ph34r
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels