Author Topic: Optigen test should be compulsory for KC Accredited Breeders?  (Read 2977 times)

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
Re: Optigen test should be compulsory for KC Accredited Breeders?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 06:10:39 PM »
I am not a breeder but am in the process of obtaining pupster number three.

The breeder I am purchasing pupster from does these tests and I personally think the ONLY way to help the lives of these animals is to make sure they are bred to a healthy standard AND have compulsary tests. Then if a breeder doesn't do the tests, you have the choice to walk right away from any purchase.

My first 2 cockers were not tested. These things didn't exist. But I was extremely lucky I didn't get a dog with any serious genetic defects. However, I am also aware that all the testing in the world does not completely guarentee a healthy dog. Sometimes things just don't, for one reason or another, show up.

I hope I have a good healthy dog - meeting other siblings and family members, it seems I should do, however, I have asked, what I felt were quite uncomfortable questions of the breeder about HIP testing. I have not had any hip issues with either of my other cockers and after seeing Keli's suffering in the last week with cancer, would not like to be watching a younger dog in pain most of it's life. I would love to see and better way of scanning hips, without the poor dogs having to suffer an anasthetic (sp). There must be something like an MIR scanner they can just walk a dog through and get a 360 degree moving shot of the hips?

If not, why not, I say.

*get's off of soap box*

;)
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 06:14:40 PM »
Mel - have you got a 'baby' secret to tell??  :luv:
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 01:28:40 PM »
Mel - have you got a 'baby' secret to tell??  :luv:

Me? No!

shhhhhh! ph34r
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!