Author Topic: % of protein in complete food?  (Read 1269 times)

Offline mooching

% of protein in complete food?
« on: July 22, 2010, 10:09:21 AM »
I've noticed many different protein levels in various brands of complete food, and was just wondering how much this matters, and how we can know what the best level of protein is for our individual dogs?

Phoned CSJ yesterday for some samples for my almost-14wk old pup, and the woman I spoke to was surprised that Royal Canin Mini Junior is 33% protein, and said that they didn't recommend keeping puppies on that high a level of protein for very longer (she said no longer than 4 months) and asked me if he was at all hyperactive on that. (I wouldn't say he is - he's lively, but not hyper).

I'm going to mention it to my vet when I see her, but just wondered what others here thought about it.

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
Re: % of protein in complete food?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 02:04:38 PM »
Hello,  Selby has been on CSJ high performance puppy food, he is now 8 months old and I have just looked at the bag and it says 27% protien of which is 26% min of lamb meat.  He still prefers his chicken wings though and ribs, and I have always to mix it with tinned meat for him to eat it. (fussy little monkey)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
I've been feeding Odie now CSJ Champ! Adult food for a few weeks now (he's 7.5 months old).  As I had mega problems with other puppy foods (P@H one and Proplan Puppy) regarding runny stools, I can say that current one is brilliant.  His stools are always nicely formed ph34r and easy to pick up - very important when he decides to do his business in the middle of the road/pavement :shades: and he genuinely loves eating it.  The protein level is 20% which compared to the others I used is lower but I suspect Odie's system reacted badly to the higher levels so am happy using this one.  Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 03:29:16 PM »

I keep trying to find information on the supposed problems of high-protein diets... as I feed raw food, Honey is on paper eating a very protein rich diet... but the evidence is that raw food diets can help solve problems of hyperactivity etc, so I get confused quickly!!!

I think the important thing is that the protein source is good (ie named meat, rather than cereal derived) and that the dog is doing well on the food. 
While this article focusses mainly on the (supposed) connection between kidney problems and high protein diet, it also touches on hyperactivity.  http://www.thepetcenter.com/article.aspx?id=3408
And this article discusses the other issues to look at rather than just protein content.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=207

And while this is written by Arden Grange, it does address the concerns of high protein diets causing hyperactivity....
http://www.ardengrange.com/hyperactive-pets-and-diet.asp

Hope this helps....
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020