Author Topic: BARF feeders  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
Re: BARF feeders
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 02:38:35 PM »
I have ordered some puppy Natural Instinct in the hope it will not only keep him healthy but also see if it might in any way help his dry eye. I also got him some lamb rib bones to try.

Guess I ought to clean my freezer out today then! :shades:
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 02:51:18 PM »
Lyla loves NI.  I had to buy a small chest freezer to fit her stuff in but hey ho!  My only regret is that Kali cannot eat it too :-\
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline mantha

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 10:01:34 AM »
Hi i always fead mine a feed of barf, but it is very hard to get all the nutrients and intakes for the dog right. especially giving them the probiotics and liquidised vegetables and all the things that they should have.  I have recently changed over to a freeze dried barf diet called K9. it is so much more convenient for me and harvey and he loves it.  It comes in a freeze dried pack and you simply reconstitute it with warm water.  Yes it is expensive, but it does have everything in it that you would normally have to spend the time chopping, liquidising and buying for it. so eventually it works out about the same in cost and it lasts for ages as you can make it up in bathces that last two or three days. Its made in new zeland and has only just come over and i get it from partners pets, round teh corner from me.  I dont kno of anywhere else that does it locally to me.  I hope that this of help to you and that you follow in my footsteps, because i deffinately think  that you get a healthier dog from it, either on the barf diet or k9..

Thanks Mantha  and harvey

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 10:07:26 AM »
Natural Instinct contains fruit and veg and herbs/oils.  It is  a lazy persons barf diet! ph34r

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 10:19:45 AM »
Hi i always fead mine a feed of barf, but it is very hard to get all the nutrients and intakes for the dog right. especially giving them the probiotics and liquidised vegetables and all the things that they should have.  I have recently changed over to a freeze dried barf diet called K9. it is so much more convenient for me and harvey and he loves it.  It comes in a freeze dried pack and you simply reconstitute it with warm water.  Yes it is expensive, but it does have everything in it that you would normally have to spend the time chopping, liquidising and buying for it. so eventually it works out about the same in cost and it lasts for ages as you can make it up in bathces that last two or three days. Its made in new zeland and has only just come over and i get it from partners pets, round teh corner from me.  I dont kno of anywhere else that does it locally to me.  I hope that this of help to you and that you follow in my footsteps, because i deffinately think  that you get a healthier dog from it, either on the barf diet or k9..

Thanks Mantha  and harvey

Thanks for the information, this looks very interesting particularly the freeze dried product, great for holidays or people with limited freezer space. How much does it cost?

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 10:22:38 AM »
I'm thinking about Barf for my lot, and have been checking out the Natural Instinct website - What variety (lamb or chicken) do you feed your dogs, and do you just feed the pouches with the odd couple of bones per week.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 10:49:33 AM »
I get the mixed box and I always have one or two pouches of the cheaper pure chicken or lamb.  I give either chicken wings or the lamb ribs (from NI) for 3 of the weekly meals.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 10:57:58 AM »
Much the same here, either Mixed or Chicken, replaced by chicken wings once a week or so. I buy packs of fresh chicken wings in Sainsbury's, usually about 12 in a pack, and freeze them at home in bags of 2.

I haven't tried the NI lamb ribs on them yet, but might order some today.

Offline AnnieA

• Donator
  • Ted!
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 10:58:47 AM »
I'm thinking about Barf for my lot, and have been checking out the Natural Instinct website - What variety (lamb or chicken) do you feed your dogs, and do you just feed the pouches with the odd couple of bones per week.

Ted used to have both the lamb and the chicken, but for some reason has gone off the lamb.  :dunno:  He also has some of the pure tripe and pure beef, both of which he loves.  I do a meal of chicken wings twice a week, and chuck a tin of sardines into the NI occasionally when I remember. I also have one of the lamb spine sections in the freezer for him to try.  They had the lamb heads last time I was there but I'm not quite that brave yet!  ph34r :005:

I buy the Natural Instinct from their shop, as it is not far from us.  They are always very helpful, and have some gorgeous doggies of their own wandering about.  :luv:

Sleep tight Henry, our little snuggle puppy :luv:

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 11:04:42 AM »
Thanks for that - I'm planning to do half Barf- kibble in the morning, Barf at teatime to start with and see how we go. 
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 12:09:50 PM »
I use the working dog, no vat and just the same as the chicken but with a little vit C.

I use the chicken backs too. The lamb and tripe ones are very expensive.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline dogsgalore

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 12:11:56 PM »
I am following this with interest as both Skye and Millie have gone a bit picky about their kibble, this has been going on for about 3 months now.  They both mess about with it, whereas before they both gobbled it down.  One does copy the other, don't know who started it but it is getting on my nerves >:(  I have wondered about changing to BARF before, as it does sound a sensible, healthy way to feed, but was a bit nervous.  Sounds like Natural Instinct might be the way to start for us, and I am sure fellow COLers will guide us if we have any queries.  Will probably order it next week, as we have half a bag of kibble left yet.
Kath, Skye plus Jock and Millie

[img]

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 02:08:19 PM »
Tali's NI just arrived. Unfortuately I had ordered some of the lamb spines but two packets were just about defrosted. One was fine though so I phoned them and they said they would either refund off of my next order or replace. I gave him one of them but it was only about 5 ribs and none of the spine but it took him almost an hour to eat! He enjoyed it but is now spark out and very full. He will get the puppy mix for dinner this evening. I've taken a Schirmer tear test this morning and left eye was 14mm and the right eye barely reached 5mm which means it's incredibly dry. I expect no miracles but we shall see if it helps in any way along with the Optimmune.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 02:52:47 PM »
Good luck, not sure if it will help with dry eye as that is one area that we have not seen a change in with Harvey.  However, he is a different dog - weight finally where I want it, his coat is in great condition, teeth back to white, not a sign of colitis and much more energy than he had  :D  We planned to do half and half but quickly changed to full Barf - if we are away and can't take NI we use Natures Diet pouches as they are the closest complete food to BARF and Harvey has no trouble changing without mixing.

NI is just brill and for us is working out cheaper than feeding dry and Harvey is not looking for more even though the amount looks meagre (we are feeding at the lower end around 2% so getting about 7 meals to a 1kg pouch as Harv has a tendency for easy weight gain),

Anyone going to CLA, NI are having a stand there....  For bones check with your local butchers, most do them free or minimal cost, I tend to feed sardines and an egg as well for one of Harv's meals.... (just need to remember not to do it on a Sunday morning unless I want a cuddle with fish breath  :020:)

Offline Workingcocker

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 03:45:29 PM »
I feed Natural Instinct too. Very pleased with it my boys love it..
/Users/sarah/Desktop/IMG_1839.JPG