Author Topic: colour question!  (Read 1820 times)

Offline jennyspin

• Site Member
  • my gorgeous Boyd & Jitka at Master Groom 2012
colour question!
« on: August 10, 2010, 11:21:23 AM »
Hi there, just posting on behalf of someone else. The question is do gold/red pups go darked over time and is there anyway you can tell if they are going to be gold or red when they are very young pups? I've only ever bred one red puppy, Ms Ruby Doo so I'm not at all an expert on this but I said that someone on here is bound to know. Any advice would be much appreciated.  :luv:
Sandlauga cockers
Never assume anything...except an occasional air of intelligence! The Sheriff to Guy of Gisbourne (Richard Carpenter, Robin or Sherwood, Rip 27/02/2012, a writing talent who will be missed).

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: colour question!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 01:56:15 PM »
I haven't bred any and mine are working Cockers but I have a gold and a red and both of them have darkened in colour as they got older. Rodaidh (gold) in particular was quite pale as a pup but now he's a rich red-gold on his back and sides but his face, ears, legs, belly and tail have stayed a bit lighter. Caoimhe (red) is a more 'uniform' colour, she doesn't have as many tones in her coat as Rodaidh but she's one of the darkest red Cockers I've ever seen. When you see them together there's no mistaking that the gold and the red are two really different colours though.

Caoimhe as a puppy

And last month aged 16 months, just a wee bit darker :005:

Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 01:59:14 PM »
I am in no way an expert either, but all 3 of Morgana's pups were born light golden and very similar in colour. The girls who were eventually spayed and are clipped have remained golden and their brother who is handstripped and entire has just got darker and darker as he's got older and is now a pretty deep red colour. I'm not sure if the girls are golden because of the fact they are spayed and clipped. I'm sure it's played a part, but they stayed golden even before this. The two golds in Dru's breeders litter are different colours with one looking darker than the other. Also when a friend had a litter one was definitely darker at birth and this has remained the case even though they are all shown and stripped. I've likely confused you even more now. Hopefully someone with way more knowledge than me on the subject will be along soon with their thoughts. I find it all fascinating to be honest.  :D
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 02:04:32 PM »
Nicola, can I just say that is one of the cutest puppy pics ever :luv: :luv:  I can't believe the change in coat colour!  Such a striking rich red.  Lesley  :D
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 02:06:25 PM »
My golden boy (show type) was mid gold as a pup and got lighter as he got older... HOWEVER, I suspect that the reason for this was more that his fluffy light undercoat grew quicker than the darker topcoat so the darker gold became less obvious. He was also neutered and clipped...

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 02:47:02 PM »
I think neutering and clipping can make a difference to their coat colour, Colin has posted photos of Jimmy (gold show Cocker) before which show him before and after being neutered and in the after photos his coat is several shades lighter. I can't find the thread just now though.

Nicola, can I just say that is one of the cutest puppy pics ever :luv: :luv:  I can't believe the change in coat colour!  Such a striking rich red.  Lesley  :D

Thanks, I bought Caoimhe at just under 6 months but I'm in touch with her breeder and they sent me a load of puppy photos :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 03:22:29 PM »
We have Monty who is registered as Golden, his puppy coat was dark gold but his adult coat is coming through a deep rich red (like a squirel) his face is already very dark, I think when all his puppy fluff comes out he will def be a deep rich red, I think his breeders had an inkling of this as he has 'Red' in his kennel name. So I would hazard a guess that unless very drk when born it is really hard to say until they become a little older?
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline LindyLou

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 04:42:31 PM »
I was surprised at the change as Baxter was quite pale golden as a pup:

And this one at about 2 years shows how red his back has become  :huh:

I still am not sure if Baxter is a "golden" or a "red with a blonde head"?  :huh: :huh:

So in answer to the OP, think it's very difficult to tell how they will turn out!
Linda & Baxter

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 06:13:51 PM »
Here's Tally as a youngster just after his first trip to the groomers.

And a professional pic taken reasonably recently.

xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline jennyspin

• Site Member
  • my gorgeous Boyd & Jitka at Master Groom 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 08:08:52 PM »
They are all sooooo gorgeous! I've had the pleasure of meeting Mr Tally in person and he is a fine advert for the reds. Mum to the pups is a deep red but was registered as a gold. Our Ruby Doo's lines on both sides go back to Beligar breeding and apparently Liz said that she didn't breed gold, only red so we registered Ruby as a red straight off and called her Sandlauga Rouge Royale. She has turned out a gorgeous deep red as well. I think what's confusing is that two in the litter are quite light like a champage colour and three a darker red. Very confusing!  :luv:
Sandlauga cockers
Never assume anything...except an occasional air of intelligence! The Sheriff to Guy of Gisbourne (Richard Carpenter, Robin or Sherwood, Rip 27/02/2012, a writing talent who will be missed).

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 08:39:45 PM »
Ooh thanks for the pic of Tally :luv: :004:  Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline sarahbe

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 09:30:30 PM »
I just love Tally- I want one!