Author Topic: Looking for a SLR Camera.  (Read 3367 times)

Offline grracee

Looking for a SLR Camera.
« on: January 26, 2011, 08:44:32 PM »
I've always been replacing my cameras as I've not found one that I really love. I've always had a compact camera and have got on well with them but really love my photography and would now like to move on to the SLR section.
At the moment I have a Canon Powershot SX210 IS which is a nice little camera but I wish I hadn't have purchased it now as I love doing my macro/super macro shots and this camera isn't that great at doing that!
Just wondering whether anyone has any recommendations as I don't want to go and buy a SLR that I don't really like!

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
Re: Looking for a SLR Camera.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 09:00:42 PM »
You wont go far wrong if you go the Canon or Nikon route, as far as the camera is concerned all DSLR models from either manufacturer will be more than capable of taking very high quality images. don't get caught up in the megapixel wars - unless you intend printing larger than A4 size anything larger than 10 megapixels is unnecessary.
More important than the camera is the lens, even the cheapest DSLR is capable of taking sharp images when fitted with a quality lens but put a cheap lens on an expensive camera and the image quality will suffer. Better to spend as much as can be afforded on the lens and save money buying a cheaper camera body.

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 09:10:13 PM »
We just got a Nikon D5000 with 2 Nikon lenses - a 18 to 55 mm F2.8 zoom and a 55 to 200 mm F3.5 zoom because according to OH it was a very good deal at Jessops (£569 for the lot).  I've not tried it out yet so can't tell you what it's like - my photography skills are non-existent. 

Offline Uli

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 09:12:51 PM »
We just got a Nikon D5000 with 2 Nikon lenses - a 18 to 55 mm F2.8 zoom and a 55 to 200 mm F3.5 zoom because according to OH it was a very good deal at Jessops (£569 for the lot).  I've not tried it out yet so can't tell you what it's like - my photography skills are non-existent. 

I purchased a Nikon D3000 with the same two zoom lenses last year for EUR 399.
No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich! (Louis Sabin)

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 09:15:08 PM »

I'd better not tell him that then.  He likes to think he's got a bargain.  :lol2:

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 09:21:09 PM »
Hi Grace... not here to give you any advice :005: but here's a similar-ish thread i started back in August that might help you a bit :D

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=74968.0
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 09:55:16 AM »

I'd better not tell him that then.  He likes to think he's got a bargain.  :lol2:

Don't feel so bad.  The camera that you have (Nikon 5000) is a more expensive camera than the 3000  and has more features.  ;)
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline grracee

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 01:06:08 PM »
Hi Grace... not here to give you any advice :005: but here's a similar-ish thread i started back in August that might help you a bit :D

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=74968.0

Thanks!  :D

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 08:36:10 PM »
I have the canon 450d it is very good. But they have stopped making it now. They can be bought of Ebay  ;)
Amazing Grace Jalankiu    5/9/2009 18/5/2022

Offline Ollie

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 11:01:05 PM »
Hi Gracee,

I have the Canon 350D for 5 years now with a standard 18-55 lens and a Canon EF 70-200mm F/4 L Series USM lens (expensive at the time) which takes fantastic photo's - I had the bug from my 35mm days so knew what I was looking for.

I got a simple Nissin flash for Christmas and cant wait for some portrait shots of Ollie when he arrives and understands stay and sit commands.

Try looking at a few on-line retailers that offer either a Canon or Nikon secondhand, with warranty. There are some bargains to be had. Also worth investing in a good camera bag too...

Good Luck

Offline escaladieu

• Korbell Dog Show Leads
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 11:29:51 AM »
I've always been replacing my cameras as I've not found one that I really love. I've always had a compact camera and have got on well with them but really love my photography and would now like to move on to the SLR section.
At the moment I have a Canon Powershot SX210 IS which is a nice little camera but I wish I hadn't have purchased it now as I love doing my macro/super macro shots and this camera isn't that great at doing that!
Just wondering whether anyone has any recommendations as I don't want to go and buy a SLR that I don't really like!

I shoot my Dogs with Nikon Equipment, and have no complaints. The Autofocus & Flash systems work really well.