Author Topic: Panasonic Lumix GF2  (Read 4702 times)

Offline leisl

• Donator
  • Hi-Life PAT Dog of the Year!
    • Muppet - PAT Dog of the Year Winner 2010/2011
Panasonic Lumix GF2
« on: February 06, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
Probably one for Jenny or Nicola as you seem to know all things photographic but any comments welcome!

Just seen the review for the new GF2 on click and it looks fab, does anyone have any experience of this?

I am very much a point and shoot person, mainly because I can never be bothered to read the instructions but I have my camera with me all the time and take loads of photos, mainly doglets to be honest, a bit of stuff for eBay and big get togethers with friends and family.

I have two lumix's that I love and found out what the macro button does at Christmas!  Only had the cameras about 3 years.  So, anyone got one?  Love it?  Hate it? Next step for me maybe?  Or do I just download the instructions for the models I have and get reading?  :005:
Leisl, Muppet & Krumble
Orange ones are more juicy!!

Offline JeffandAnnie

Re: Panasonic Lumix GF2
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 10:19:41 AM »
I have a Lumix - what does the Macro button do  :huh:

Offline leisl

• Donator
  • Hi-Life PAT Dog of the Year!
    • Muppet - PAT Dog of the Year Winner 2010/2011
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:38:44 AM »
No idea what the technical term is for it but say you wanted to take a photo of a ladybird or something really small, you can get in really close without it going fuzzy!
Leisl, Muppet & Krumble
Orange ones are more juicy!!

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 11:32:26 AM »
Purchased this camera for my OH's 60th birthday, keeps him quiet for ages. :005:

Offline seaangler

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 11:34:54 AM »
Purchased this camera for my OH's 60th birthday, keeps him quiet for ages. :005:

I did the same along with two nitting niddles ;)

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 01:36:12 PM »
Sorry for the late reply but I had hoped that someone with more knowledge than myself would offer you some advice but as no one has come forward I will add my little bit.  ;)
I also watched Click and thought the GF2 looked great but then it wasn't really doing anything that my camera couldn't - just in a easier way IYSWIM.
The trick about putting the background out of focus can be achieved by changing the aperture so you may be able to  do that already.
What Lumix's do you have? Do they have manual settings for shutter speed, aperture?  If they do, you can probably get the same effect without spending money on getting a new camera  ;)
I would recommend you going through the manual and just spending time on getting to know your camera. If you do get a new camera, you will still have to spend time (AND the money) reading the manual to get the best out of the camera.  ;)
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 01:44:33 PM »
I have the G1 and love it

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 12:06:11 AM »
Sorry Leisl, meant to post here yesterday...

I had the Lumix TZ10 for Christmas and only just scratching the surface what it can do.  Lots of manual over-rides so that you can  be ultra creative BUT plenty of pre-loaded scene selections too.  You can even create and save your own settings.  

The TZ10 also has HD video which I didn't think I'd use but I have and I'm impressed.

I loove my big Canon 50D but it is big and heavy to carry.  The Lumix fits in my treat bag and is there as and when I want it.  It's great at the shows too.  Impressed with the weight and quality too.

Daughter also has a lumix but more basic.  Still takes a cracking shot though.

This was a first attempt of video from the camera, bare in mind we were inside and no additional lighting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLP474ZlR78

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline JohnMcL7

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 01:48:49 PM »
Sorry for the late reply but I had hoped that someone with more knowledge than myself would offer you some advice but as no one has come forward I will add my little bit.  ;)
I also watched Click and thought the GF2 looked great but then it wasn't really doing anything that my camera couldn't - just in a easier way IYSWIM.
The trick about putting the background out of focus can be achieved by changing the aperture so you may be able to  do that already.

This simply isn't true unfortunately, depth of field isn't just a function of the aperture it's a combination of focal length, aperture and the distance to the subject.  The problem is on compact cameras is that due to their tiny sensors, the focal lengths are very short which in turn means the depth of field is very deep even at the widest apertures which means there's simply no way to get the shallow depth of field you can on a camera with a larger sensor (such as a DSLR or micro 4/3  camera and others of those type).

The larger sensor in the GF2 also means far better high iso capability which means less noise or grain in pictures taken at the higher isos which is useful in low light.  The settings may look similar for both aperture and iso but in practice they're far different, base isos on compact cameras these days have a bit of noise and you can barely go above that before the picture becomes unusable.  On the GF2 you can go up to iso 800 with only moderate noise and even iso 1600 is usable.  This isn't just useful for low light either, if you're wanting action shots you need very fast shutter speeds to freeze the action although the GF1's shutter has a bit of lag which can make that type of shot a bit more tricky.  The GH2 is better in this regard although I'm not sure if the GF2 is.

All this comes at a price though which is mainly the lack of convenience, to keep the GF2's size down you really need to pair it with either the 14mm F2.5 wide angle prime (which they ship with it) or the 20mm F1.7 wide aperture prime.  The prime lens means you can't zoom in or out, you can only change lenses and while zoom lenses are available I simply find they're too large for the GF body leaving it unbalanced and not comfortable to use.  I prefer the bigger micro 4/3 bodies for the zoom lenses as you get a proper grip and a builtin viewfinder.  Also the prime lenses have no stabilisation which means video can be a bit shaky, the Olympus bodies do have inbuilt stabilisation but you can't use it with video.

leisl - It really depends on how you use your current camera as to whether the GF2 (or any of the other similar bodies) would be useful to you.  The GF2's large sensor offers capabilities far beyond what a compact can do no matter how good you are with the compact particularly in poor light and for dynamic range but at the same time you have to make a lot of concessions for it, you don't get the all in one convenience package a compact offers.  I've lent my GF setup to some people to try out and see what they think, some find it too bulky and inconvenient while others have quite liked it so it's very much a personal preference.

I did go with the Panasonic LX3 for a while as it has a slightly bigger sensor than most compacts and a very bright F2 lens (lets more light in) but since the release of the 14mm micro 4/3 lens my pocket camera is now a GF1 with the 20mm lens and the 14mm slipped in another pocket as it's hard to go back to the LX3's small sensor being used to the larger ones.

John

Offline seaangler

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 12:09:02 PM »
I have a Lumix - what does the Macro button do  :huh:

For rely close up photography..A few inches away...Chris

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 08:55:59 AM »
I had the Lumix TZ10 for Christmas and only just scratching the surface what it can do.  Lots of manual over-rides so that you can  be ultra creative BUT plenty of pre-loaded scene selections too.  You can even create and save your own settings.  

The TZ10 also has HD video which I didn't think I'd use but I have and I'm impressed.

I found I can't seem to play the videos - not sure if i need software to do it, but like you there's loads of stuff on these cameras (TZ10s)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline seaangler

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 09:05:14 AM »

I found I can't seem to play the videos - not sure if i need software to do it, but like you there's loads of stuff on these cameras (TZ10s)

You should be able to it has a 1920 x 1080 Full HD Movie Recording in AVCHD Format with the iA Mode on this camera...No you do NOT need soft ware to run it(on the camera) but you mite need to to transfer to your computer,,But most good computers will pick it up ..But mite need a driver to do so....

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline PennyB

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 09:55:08 AM »

You should be able to it has a 1920 x 1080 Full HD Movie Recording in AVCHD Format with the iA Mode on this camera...No you do NOT need soft ware to run it(on the camera) but you mite need to to transfer to your computer,,But most good computers will pick it up ..But mite need a driver to do so....

think this is the problem - my pC won't pick it up
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline JohnMcL7

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 10:47:47 PM »
Are you trying to open the *.mts files for video?  If so, try downloading VLC player which is free and plays pretty much every video format going without installing any codecs (which means it doesn't affect any of your other video software) and it definitely plays AVCHD.  The only issue is AVCHD can be cpu intensive so you may not be able to play back smoothly depending on the PC specification.

John

Offline PennyB

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 04:34:47 PM »
Are you trying to open the *.mts files for video? 

probably ;)
Friends of Hailey Park