Author Topic: Altering which programs open when laptop is switched on  (Read 1339 times)

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
Altering which programs open when laptop is switched on
« on: February 13, 2011, 09:35:43 PM »
Please can someone help?

I've just installed Tom Tom Home on my laptop, now everytime I switch the laptop on the program starts automatically. I can't remember what I need to alter on the settings to stop it doing this  :huh:

Please can someone write 'idiot proof' instructions for me  ph34r

The laptop has Windows 7 if that helps

Thanks

Sam
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Re: Altering which programs open when laptop is switched on
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 11:15:39 AM »
If you go to programs, accessories,  run, type in msconfig, then click on startup, you can un-tick the box for the program you don't want starting each time your computer opens up.

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 10:20:16 PM »
Thank you  :D
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline JohnMcL7

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 04:51:44 PM »
Or you can get to the run box by just pressing the windows button plus R which I find a handy shortcut.

I would recommend msconfig as well for modifying startup programs but just be careful what you're disabling, you should be safe from breaking anything but if there's anything you're unsure about you should be able to find information online about it and whether you need it.  These days there's too much of a tendency for programs to automatically start up so it is well worth checking.

John