Author Topic: Bitch Breeding Age  (Read 4691 times)

Offline davidj1701

Re: Bitch Breeding Age
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 07:27:26 PM »
I think it really depends upon the bitch?  Storm was six when she had her second (and final) litter and was absolutely fine.  She's very fit and active and had no problems at all.  Pups all strong and healthy  :blink: .

Thanks, good to hear from someone who has done it correctly,
Seems sensible that if a dog is in good health, is fit and strong, and has been bred correctly, six seems a good and sensible maximum for the Kennel Club to bring the limit down to.

Offline davidj1701

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 07:47:17 PM »
If a breeder paces themselves then it's perfectly possible for a bitch to be having their 2nd or 3rd litter at 6 years old  :blink:.

Thanks Cayley, good sensible, honest answer.

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 08:47:58 AM »
We are just looking for a black n white ticked bitch actually, thanks Coco, but i have heard of some breeders having difficulty selling pups because of the recession, which i hope will not drive people towards Puppy Farms, which I've heard about recently, and think they should be banned instantly, in fact, the kennel club should be constantly lobbying parliament till they are banned (rant over)

Lynne, because we are just getting up to speed on this, in laymans terms, what are PRA and FN tests?

PRA is Progressive Retinal Atrophy, a condition that causes blindness. FN causes renal failure. The testing is done by blood test and mouth swab. IMO all dogs should be tested prior to breeding so that these terrible deseases can be wiped out. My 2 have tested clear for both. Dogs can also be hereditry clear (if parents are tested clear)
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers